I just bought this amp last Thursday, and I noticed it rattles whenever I play an E.

Does anyone know why it does this? Would replacing the tubes get rid of the problem?
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
high or low E?
what voiceing?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Every voicing really, and any E. It's most apparent on the 14th fret on the D string and the 9th fret on the G string.

Quote by FloyDZeD
Every voicing really, and any E. It's most apparent on the 14th fret on the D string and the 9th fret on the G string.

on my,mine rattled once on the acoustic setting fro a day or 2

wondering,what pickup?
try changing cables, and all i can suggest is bringing it back and look for that receipt!
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
get a new one.
My first one did that, turned out to be an issue with the dsp stuff.

It could also be the speaker baffle rattling, so check that first
Quote by pak1351
get a new one.
My first one did that, turned out to be an issue with the dsp stuff.

It could also be the speaker baffle rattling, so check that first

If this is the problem, how would I fix it?

And you said your first did it, did it do the exact same thing? If it did then I'd rather just exchange it.

Make sure everything is tightened, if that doesn't fix it make sure it's not something in the room rattling. Other than that it's probably the power tubes rattling, a common problem with combo amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Okay, it sounds like the rattling is coming from the speaker itself...

That could be the baffle, or sound of the tubes rattling being amplified through the speaker.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
That could be the baffle, or sound of the tubes rattling being amplified through the speaker.

But how come it only rattles when I play an E?

I don't think the tubes are rattling, I held them and played an E and it still rattled.

Yeah, I took mine into a tech, and he said the one's he's dealt with have either been the baffle or the dsp is pissing the bed.

If it's the baffle, he said it can be fixed by removing it, redrilling holes, and remounting it half an inch farther out.

basically, just moving the front panel out towards you a little bit, I don't know if my explanation made much sense.

Dsp fails, they just give you a new one.

If it's new, swap it out. My new one has been fine for about 7 months now

Mine started to rattle after a month, along the same areas yours is, between the 8-15 fret on my d and g strings, and some people reported having similar problems on the fender forums
Alright, I think I'll just exchange it.

Well, I looked online and supposedly it's just a problem with the power tubes. So should I still bring it back to Guitar Center and exchange it or should I just buy some new tubes?

I changed the tubes on mine and the tech did all kinds of stuff, but it couldn't hurt to try if you have some. I'd probably exchange it if you have to order some though
Yep, it's frustrating when you've got such a great little amp and it wants to get cranky with you. It's like you hear this beautiful sound coming out of this tiny little box and you just start playing your favorite blues number (Lenny) and your sounding so good and you can't believe you've bought such a great amp for so little money and then you play a little bit faster and (((RaTtLe rAtTLe RatTLe))) "WTF was that?" (((RAtTLe rAtTLe RaTtLe))) "there it goes again!!!" What a sick twisted game to play!!! Are you listening Fender??? That's Sick!!!

My SCXD had a slight rattle too that you could faintly hear on some of the voices and single notes, but if that wasn't bad enough it also had a far worse (((BUZZ))) in the low end that was definitely resonating from the speaker. It was very hard to tell if it was the speaker itself or some other part that vibrated due to the speaker vibrations resonating and pressing against parts to determine this was not helpful.

What was helpful was getting a cab to plug into. . . which is what I suggest you do to help narrow down your rattle and to potentially solve (go around) the problem. My amp is still just the way it was before with the slight rattle and big buzz on the low register and I may send it in at some point, but by playing through a cab the "original" buzz is gone and the rattle is much better if it exist at all.

I think if you plug into a cab and you still have the rattle then maybe it is a power tube problem; I'm not very familiar with all the ins and out of tube amps, but it seems to me that if the rattle is gone with a cab then it's not a power tube problem.

In my opinion, it may be a buzz problem that also resonates into a rattle problem (who knows) due to a "special design speaker" that gets flabby at low end signals and buzzes out or resonates into a rattle.

When I tested my amp on a cab it sounded so much MUCH BIGGER with no buzz at all. . . so I decided to get a cab and keep the amp.

Unfortunately, I bought a used Fender GE 412 cab and it too has cheap speakers and so it has it's own buzz problem (this may be common with these cheap speakers), but it's a much less noticeable and more manageable buzz than it was before that only happens rarely sometimes and only when I tune down to E flat. . . so I guess the lesson here is to get a cab with good speakers and everything is okay.

You could also just replace the existing speaker with a Ragin Cagun like everybody else, but be careful because you will void your warranty unless you keep the stock speaker to send in for service. The good thing about plugging into an extention cab (8 ohm) is you will know almost instantly if it has solved the problem and if not you will at least know it's not resonating from the speaker. You will also be pleasantly surprised with how loud it gets.

I see really nice cabs on Craigslist all the time for about $150 - $200. I bought mine for $125 . . . and like I said, when I got the cab . . . problems solved.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Mar 4, 2009,