Well, I realize the title is probably a bit confusing so I'll elaborate. My little 30w Spider is beginning to sound worse and worse the more I use it. I'm looking into a better amp (hopefully a tube combo) and potentially an OD or Dist pedal. I've looked and looked but I don't have a clear idea of what pedal I should get for my desired sound. I looked at youtube reviews of many pedals, but I know that no matter how many I watch, they won't show me what I hope to do with them.

I hope to emulate sounds like RATM, SOAD and Tool, with the heaviest possible sounds probably being around Korn or Slipknot. I'd also like something that I'd be able to find my own personal sound out of. My question is would I be able to get lighter sounds (less heavy distortion or overdrive, think RATM) with a heavier dist pedal and amp combo (Metal Muff, DS-2 Turbo Dist?) or vice versa, get heavier sounds out of a less heavy combination (OS-2 OD/Dist, SD-1 Super OD?) I'd just like an idea of what I should look for (I'm hoping to buy a relatively good tube amp used [got my eye on a Peavey Classic 50 212]) and what pedal would best complement it (if it even needs one). Any recommendations would be great, along with things I ought to avoid.

Hopefully you understood all of that, and thanks for the help!
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
you're gonna get a ton of "get rid of the spider" comments.

I'll be the first...

Get rid of the spider.

It isn't wounding worse, SS doesn't "age" like tubes. It's sounding worse because your ears are getting trained and you're realizing how much it sucks.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
I realize whats happening with my amp entirely. I hope I don't come off as a overbearing asshole, because it may be that the first post wasn't really specific. I'm looking at a new amp before ANYTHING else. But I'm also looking for suggestions on a replacement. Hopefully my grandpa will understand, it was my Christmas present from him, and I just don't want him to feel like he bought it for nothing... But I also want my tone to stop sucking... What a predicament hunh?
quick question, if you like to play the heavy stuff, why are you getting a Peavey Classic? Is there something I'm missing?
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
I don't think you're missing anything. But I'm sure I am, somewhere... I'm not necessarily getting it, I just said I was looking at one on used (from craigslist). Are they not good for any kind of hard rock/metal? I don't plan on playing all sorts of death metal and hardcore, but still, is the gain/distortion not that great? I was also looking at potentially doing distortion via od on amp + od pedal. How distorted would that be? I'm just trying to get an idea of what to look into, so that I don't waste a bunch of time at my local shop.
They are definitely low gain amps.. If you play metal, at least get an amp that has decent amounts of gain that you can still boost, or better yet, that doesn't need a boost at all.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
If your budget is $600>, you can get the upcoming 6505 112 combo, or a Marshall JCM 2000 combo.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
If your budget is $600>, you can get the upcoming 6505 112 combo

Yes.

Quote by tmfiore
or a Marshall JCM 2000 combo.

NO!
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
The 6505 combo sounds like it may be good... When's it supposed to come out? That or maybe a VK 112, with a tube change depending... Now to find a place that stocks peavey stuff at reasonable prices. Also, would an OS-2 be of any help to my tone, regardless of how good my amp is? They seem pretty versatile... are they?