Hey guys im looking into getting some recording software and have stumbled onto these bundles . I was wondering if you guys think this is a good buy and also if you can use this to record into separate channels through the usb cable. Thanks in advance for your help. jeff

http://www.gigasonic.com/Maudio-FastTrackUltra-ProTools74-Bundle.html

http://www.gigasonic.com/m-audio-audiophile-2496-powered-7.html
Last edited by dj12488 at Mar 1, 2009,
It's alright but personally you can get better things for a little cheaper as long as you don't mind not using ProTools. Check out presonus or motu coming bundled with Cubase.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
ya im not set on using pro tools as long as i can record multiple tracks simultaneously. thanks for the reply!
yea, also these use pro tools m powered not pro tools, so really they arent that great software wise, you would be better off getting something that runs real pro tools or getting something else imo. not to mention presonus and motu interfaces are going to have better sounding mic pres.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by hoondog
yea, also these use pro tools m powered not pro tools, so really they arent that great software wise, you would be better off getting something that runs real pro tools or getting something else imo. not to mention presonus and motu interfaces are going to have better sounding mic pres.

I don't think the guy wants to spend like $20 grand on a recording setup.

other than that, yeah go with Presonus or E-MU or MOTU stuff and run Sonar or Cubase.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah I own that interface. It works and sounds great, easy to use and nice features as well. I have not used the packaged software because I already have Logic but I don't think you can really go wrong with Cubase.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I don't think the guy wants to spend like $20 grand on a recording setup.

other than that, yeah go with Presonus or E-MU or MOTU stuff and run Sonar or Cubase.

mboxes run real pro tools
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by hoondog
mboxes run real pro tools

no they don't., they run Protools LE. The whole point of protools is it's DSP cards and super high end converters, which you don't get with the MBox.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no they don't., they run Protools LE. The whole point of protools is it's DSP cards and super high end converters, which you don't get with the MBox.

Agreed.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

right, but the fact of the matter(at least for me) is that protools le which the digidesigns (002,003) and mboxes run on lets you mix in pro tools and have access to some high quality rtas plugins and do it on the go. not to mention mixing in LE doesn't not allow (like my double negative?) you to upgrade your converters.

im simply trying to say that LE holds its weight (imo) as a legit daw where as m powered i would recomend straying away from
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Last edited by hoondog at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by hoondog
right, but the fact of the matter(at least for me) is that protools le which the digidesigns (002,003) and mboxes run on lets you mix in pro tools and have access to some high quality rtas plugins and do it on the go. not to mention mixing in LE doesn't not allow (like my double negative?) you to upgrade your converters.

i dont think only pro tools hd has value because of "super high end" converters.

You can't upgrade outside of Digidesign stuff though so there really not much of a point anyway.

and yeah Protools HD also has value because of it's DSP cards, those are actually really nce and whatnot. The thing is other than the hugely overpriced RTAS plugs (all of which have a competing product that's just as good, if not better available in VST format), there's really no benefit to using Protolls LE unless you have an HD rig as well and want to make field recordings, and then edit them later.

Last.fm
the lack of ADC in Protools LE is a serious friggin disaster, that and you miss out on the DSP cards and the 48bit engine, which is the whole point of protools anyway.
^^ yeah i start mixes at home and then take them back to the studio.

also you can use digidesign interface just to run pro tools but not actually use it for its mic pres and conversion (lik using s/pdif)
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Last edited by hoondog at Mar 2, 2009,
true, but the whole "no ADC" issue and the crippled track counts make it a bag of fail.
Its great using ProTools HD in the college studios but nothing would ever convince me to use LE or MP myself.
true. im kinda diggin nuendo, but thar are some things that are just too awesome in pro tools
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
I dunno man, i've been using ProTools on a daily basis for the last year and i personally dont see anything awesome in it really. I'd musch refer Logic, even the lecturer prefers Cubase to PTLE, but as he says, the jobs are all about protools.
Have you been using Pro-Tools 8 on a daily basis? Pro-Tools 8 is a lot different than the versions before it. They made it a lot more user friendly and even the LE and M-Powered versions are top of the line.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-Studio-Bundle-2008?sku=500310

I bought that bundle. It comes with Eleven LE which for a guitar player is the greatest thing ever. I'd be more than happy to let you hear recordings that I have done using that exact bundle.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
I've heard good things about ProTools 8, still no ADC though, but at least the track count got bumped up.

ultimatly, to me, this whole LE/MP thing is a mugs game. you fork out your cash and digidesign still treat you like a child by denying basic stuff like ADC, and the Mboxs aren't great. it reeks of contempt for the customer, frankly. not that it affects me personally, i'm absolutly laughing with my Logic Studio rig.
In a way I do regret buying a Pro Tools LE system, mainly because of the mediocre hardware. The software is OK, but it is quite CPU intensive. And there's the low track count, which as it's been said, they've improved. And the customer service and entire digidesign website just sucks.

Having said that, it has been very useful to work from in conjunction with HD studios. Time in those has not been easy to acquire.

I can't wait until I can get Ardour on PC.
I have Ardour installed on my Linux machine, its pretty good but they desperatly need to get the midi sorted out and get version 3 released. it could be a good daw if they get it right.

as for the whole "interacting with HD" thing, i never bought into it. WAV files interact with any DAW

and when you see the list of albums made with Logic or whatever... i have no envy for ProTools y'know
$500 for a one preamp interface, not-worth-buying mic and some not-so-hot monitors?

Am I missing something or is that terrible value?
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Digidesign customer support is ****ty. I will give you that. From somone who actually runs a studio to help pay bills. Pro-Tools is the industry standard. When people ask about my studio that is one of the common questions, do you use pro-tools? It's so common that if someone records with me and takes it back to their label for mastering it's a pain to not have it.

The $500 dollar bundle is not that bad. It comes with Eleven LE and a free upgrade to pro-tools 8 with an ignition pack that has more software and plug ins than anyone could need. For recording guitar its one of the better values out there. Maybe the guy doesn't have a super awesome amp or a mic to record with, thats what Eleven is for...so the price tag might be high but if you are recording mainly guitar then it is well worth it.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Last edited by H_ngm_n at Mar 3, 2009,
i dunno i think that pro tools is most comfortable for editing wavs, like cuts and fades and splices and ****. i still find the other programs to be a little clunky, pro tools you can just select that multitool function and run show on wavs. i wish i could get the best of both worlds, i have hope for pro tools 8 ????
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Have hope for Pro-Tools 8 it is much, much better than the previous versions.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
If you play guitar I really suggest getting Eleven too. It's $300 dollars on its own or you can pay $500 and get that bundle which is what I did. You get a bunch more stuff for a $200 difference.

Like I said before, I would be more than happy to post some sound clips of Eleven to show people that Pro-Tools and its software is good. I'll even record it using the M-Box mini to show the TS that its a great bundle for a guitar player looking to record.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
Quote by H_ngm_n
If you play guitar I really suggest getting Eleven too. It's $300 dollars on its own or you can pay $500 and get that bundle which is what I did. You get a bunch more stuff for a $200 difference.

Like I said before, I would be more than happy to post some sound clips of Eleven to show people that Pro-Tools and its software is good. I'll even record it using the M-Box mini to show the TS that its a great bundle for a guitar player looking to record.

If you just want to record get guitar rig session and reaper...

Great little interface from what I've heard, superb specs and it's cheap (comparatively to that bundle).
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
It also won't sound nearly as good. You get what you pay for.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
Quote by H_ngm_n
It also won't sound nearly as good. You get what you pay for.

From m,y experience Eleven is no better than Guitar Rig, and inferior to Amplitube and Revalver.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
From m,y experience Eleven is no better than Guitar Rig, and inferior to Amplitube and Revalver.

I concur