For a while now I've been looking to upgrade my bass. At the moment I'm still using a cheap Ibanez accompanied by a Peavey MAX 110. Through my research and such I've jumped from wanting various Schecters to ESP's and now to the famous MM Stingray. My whole issue lies in that I'm not sure whether or not I should get a cheaper bass (yet a quality one) of around $700-800 so that I can be closer to getting a new amp also of around the same price sooner, or if I should just go all out and get a Stingray, suck it up and wait longer to upgrade my amp. What I have found is that I love the growl the Stingray gets, are there basses out there that you know of with such sound?

Also, I understand that there's theories that state that one should never take little steps when upgrading gear, that doing so is just a waste of money. However, given my current amp, would a Stingray fully shine if I were to play it through it?

The basses I've thought of outside the Stingray range from Schecter's Studio 4 http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Studio4-Bass?sku=516752

To ESP's B-404SM http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B404SM-Bass?sku=513743

In short: 1. Are there basses out there with similar growl as a Stingray's for around $800? 2. Would a Stingray shine through a Peavey MAX 110 amp?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read.
Upgrade your amp first always. As a rule of thumb - a great guitar will sound like crap through a bad amp, while a decent guitar will sound good through a good amp.

As far as which bass - I have an ESP C304 that I paid well under 700 for, and i love it more than some 1000 dollar basses i've played. If you're looking for growl, you'll want to look for a darker wood and a pickup that will really draw out the mids of the bass. Personally, I prefer a smoother, more punchy tone as opposed to a growl, but I've heard that some Yamaha basses do well with that. Maybe look into some of the lower price Warwick Rock Basses?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
go for the esp. it seems to have better fret access.

and its outrageously beautiful >.<
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Check out the "Sterling by Musicman". They haven't been released yet but most of their stuff is priced around 600-800 bucks. And spec wise they look pretty legit. If you want a Stringray, they make a budget version called the Ray34. You might consider waiting until you can try one out. There supposed to ship sometime this month, if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by Captain Insano
Check out the "Sterling by Musicman". They haven't been released yet but most of their stuff is priced around 600-800 bucks. And spec wise they look pretty legit. If you want a Stringray, they make a budget version called the Ray34. You might consider waiting until you can try one out. There supposed to ship sometime this month, if I'm not mistaken.

I've considered it, but a big part of getting the Stingray would be the fact that I wouldn't need to upgrade my bass again. Also, in terms of the growl of the instrument, I assume it mostly comes from the pickups. How do EMG HZ's fair in terms of punch? I've noticed that all Schecter basses all come with this type of EMG, a brand that labels itself by suiting to the heavier genres of music.
i own a schecter stilleto studio 4 with emg-hz's in it. If you eq it right(low mids are your friend) it can get quite growly. Not as growly as say a warwick or spector tends to be. but it defintely has plenty of growl for most situations. I also play out of a tube amp so it'll have different tone qualities than solid state amps. I imagine a solid state would still get plenty of growl of this baby though.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
i own a schecter stilleto studio 4 with emg-hz's in it. If you eq it right(low mids are your friend) it can get quite growly. Not as growly as say a warwick or spector tends to be. but it defintely has plenty of growl for most situations. I also play out of a tube amp so it'll have different tone qualities than solid state amps. I imagine a solid state would still get plenty of growl of this baby though.

Any videos or sound clips you could show me?
i could attempt to record a couple for you. i can run my preamp out into the mic in on my comp. give me some time. I'll be running a solid state amp and there will be no speaker involved in what you hear. purely the line out tone.

EDIT: sorry man. my mic jack seems to be on the fritz. lots of random crackles and pops... or it's my preamp out. i'd bet on the comp though. If we do a recording of our show this weekend I'll post something on my profile and let ya know.

reedit: thought i'd mention it can't be the bass makeing the extra noise because even when i've got a cable coming out of the preamp out the amp still makes sound. all is well there.

another edit: just thought of this. If you're looking for growl look into spector. I was at a show this weekend and one band had a spector bass. shook the room and growled like a beast. best bassy tone i've ever heard. And still clear as a bell! I've been looking into getting one myself since i'm looking into joining a heavy/death metal band around here. The one he was playing was black so that leads me to believe it's one of their cheaper/reasonably priced models because their really expensive stuff tends to come in natural finishes.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 2, 2009,
If you're willing to buy a musicman Stingray, but you want growl, buy the Corvette Standard from Warwick. It may be their entry-level bass, but it's the most wonderful instrument. Passive or Active....both models posses enough gain, grit, and growl to knock people off their feet. Again, not an opportunity to promote my band...but you should check the songs on my page and my band's page... We just had a recording and I obviously used my Warwick on it. I know it isn't the same as the Std., but all Warwicks have that growl.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
If you're willing to buy a musicman Stingray, but you want growl, buy the Corvette Standard from Warwick. It may be their entry-level bass, but it's the most wonderful instrument. Passive or Active....both models posses enough gain, grit, and growl to knock people off their feet. Again, not an opportunity to promote my band...but you should check the songs on my page and my band's page... We just had a recording and I obviously used my Warwick on it. I know it isn't the same as the Std., but all Warwicks have that growl.

I'll check it out.

Edit: I must say I loved your bands work but it was hard to hear the bass growl outside the mix; it may have been that I was listening to it at too low of a volume .
Last edited by boxerb at Mar 2, 2009,
in that price range i would have to suggest a fender aerodyne... http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Aerodyne-4String-Jazz-Bass?sku=511988 you could probably find one used for like 450$... then you could get a decent amp as well...

is this a new model of the aerodyne?? it was around $750 last time i checked.
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by Taygunov
the spalted maple on that esp looks so damn good, but id still say the shecter

Particular reasons why?
Other than its sheer beauty, I don't see major spec difference other than the pups. Which btw, has anyone tried either one? How do they fair in terms of punch/growl?
Schecter= Growl. I have a couple videos of me playing mine (badly) on Youtube. Just search Cody Grey. It definately his a lot of growl and bite to the tone. Cuts through the mix like a hot knife through butter, and my guitarist is using a Bogner tube amp.

EDIT: The Ibanez SR500, on the other hand, is a totally different beast. Both that and the Schecter are amazingly versatile, but do different things better. The Ibanez has a smoother, rounder tone while the Schecter excels in the high end and bite. I'm in the process of saving for an SR506 now.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Last edited by Cody_Grey102 at Mar 2, 2009,