Hey guys,

I know quite a few of the boutique pickup makers, like Bare Knuckle, WCR, Stephen Designs, Wolfetone... and probably some others.

But is there one beyond the "common" boutique makers (yeah I know that's an oxymoron) that's like the master of the pickup winders?

As far as I gather, Bare Knuckles are probably the priciest amoung the lot, but are there any above BKP which is even more expensive, and yet at the same time, so special and unique that places that pup maker one cut above the rest?

Any ideas or weblinks would be nice.

Ooo and which is your favourite maker? I personally like Bare Knuckles' high gain for that shimmering tone that really places a Bare Knuckle pickup above the big 3 after-market pup makers.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Mar 1, 2009,
no idea... the big problem is it's very hard to get to try those boutique pickups without buying them, and most people don't have enough cash and time to try them all
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ragingkitty
Hey guys,

I know quite a few of the boutique pickup makers, like Bare Knuckle, WCR, Stephen Designs, Wolfetone... and probably some others.

But is there one beyond the "common" boutique makers (yeah I know that's an oxymoron) that's like the master of the pickup winders?

As far as I gather, Bare Knuckles are probably the priciest amoung the lot, but are there any above BKP which is even more expensive, and yet at the same time, so special and unique that places that pup maker one cut above the rest?

Any ideas or weblinks would be nice.

Ooo and which is your favourite maker? I personally like Bare Knuckles' high gain for that shimmering tone that really places a Bare Knuckle pickup above the big 3 after-market pup makers.

Well... Bareknuckles are pricey because they're based in the UK whereas the rest, WCR, SD, Wolfetone, Lollar, etc. are based in the USA so for Americans, we pay a premium on BKP. Other than that, they are not really any more expensive than the rest of the bunch, they're all in that $250-$350 range.

The big difference between BKP and the rest of these guys is that BKP has more emphasis on high output pickups, more so than the others. While WCR also makes some very good high output humbuckers which have gotten some great press, they're not as widely known as Bareknuckle, and their focus is still based on those vintage les paul tones. I personally have not really been THAT impressed with Bareknuckles, perhaps because I'm not a huge fan of high output humbuckers and for PAF and classic rock and blues tones, I still find WCR, Lollar and Wolfetone to be the best that I've tried. Alot of people around here talk them up a lot because for a large part, BKP is really the only boutique pickup they know.

And yes, there are plenty of pickups that are more expensive than Bareknuckles. Skatterbranes, Tom Holmes (though he doesn't make pickups anymore). Truth is, most handwound boutique pickups are good. You just have to find the ones that suit you.
^ yeah, pretty much. also, they get talked up around here because a lot of people play hard rock and metal here...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?