alright so sometime in the near future I am planning on getting an acoustic-electric guitar (just to clarify, i am referring to an acoustic guitar you plug in to an amp) and i dont know where to start. now dont tell me a whole freaking gospel or anything, I just want to know a good reliable acoustic-electric that does not cost a whole freaking lot. i would like to spend around 5-600 dollars.

also, do I need to get a new amp for one? i heard that if you plug an acoustic electric into a standard electric guitar amp it just sounds like a clean guitar. is that true or false, and if true, how can i make it sound as acoustic as possible plugged into an amp?

please tell me anything else I need to know.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
oh and if it makes any difference the amp I have now is a Peavey Valve King Half stack.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
i have a ibanez acoustic electric, it plays great. i've had it for years and has taken a huge beating from me. you can play it on any amp so long as its got a good clean channel. it would sound better if u bought a special amp just for acoustics but its by no means neccisary
plugged in acoustic electrics sound like an acoustic plugged into an amp.... listen to any unplugged cd or acoustic live performance and that's what it sounds like... although a lot of live acoustic performances are done plugged into a pa.
my seagull cost my about 6 bills cdn, is handmade, and all solid wood.

Quote by chriskellerbob
im not sure about the amp thing, but as of guitars go with taylor.

Oh yes, but while he's there he might as well buy two, no? And a Martin maybe?
dolt.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
i have a ibanez acoustic electric, it plays great. i've had it for years and has taken a huge beating from me. you can play it on any amp so long as its got a good clean channel. it would sound better if u bought a special amp just for acoustics but its by no means neccisary

Ibanez acoustics rarely have solid tops and I've never played one that sounded decent.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 1, 2009,
If your gonna buy an acoustic-electric in that price range, definately get a Ibanez. I own a Ibanez PF acoustic-electric and it sounds great plugged in or unplugged. Ive played some martin guitars and i still like my Ibanez over the pricy ones.

As for the sound of a standard electric guitar amp, i play my acoustic-electric through my normal electric guitar amp, and it still sounds fine. Although if you have the money to buy a Acoustic amp, it might be something to invest in especially if your playing it onstage.
Quote by skater5thg
If your gonna buy an acoustic-electric in that price range, definately get a Ibanez. I own a Ibanez PF acoustic-electric and it sounds great plugged in or unplugged. Ive played some martin guitars and i still like my Ibanez over the pricy ones.

As for the sound of a standard electric guitar amp, i play my acoustic-electric through my normal electric guitar amp, and it still sounds fine. Although if you have the money to buy a Acoustic amp, it might be something to invest in especially if your playing it onstage.

If he's playing it onstage, most people opt to plug into a PA.