Quote by MichaelOfCanton
i bet you have the open ended cable( i.e. big RF interference antenna) plugged into the amp.

what? lol
if i plug it into the guitar it does the same thing. i only took the plug out because everyone would be like "its the pickups"

just tried all my different types of cables. when no cable is in there in no noise. when i put a cable in it starts the noise. its not the cables either. WHAT do i do?!
Last edited by mick13 at Mar 1, 2009,
ok heres how it works. guitar pickups are designed to make a signal from the strings to drive the amp but as a byproduct of their design they are very sensitive to radio frequency interference. RFI sounds like fuzz/static and comes from almost anything electrical and pretty much anywhere you have electricity to play you will have RFI. when a cable is plugged in and the two lines inside going in and out arent connected to a grounded guitar they will pick up RFI very easily so naturally you will have that sound if you have a cable plugged into the amp thats not plugged into anything. even when plugged in you will almost always be able to hear something thats at least detectable if not noticible but if you plug into the guitar and it doesnt get noticibly quieter than its probably an electrical problem in the guitar with the grounding. probably a loose or broken wire or a bad soldier job. if youre not familiar with the wiring of a guitar and electrical work in general you should find a leuthier at a guitar store or repair shop and have them take a look. the most it will cost is 20 dollars or so unless you need new pots or pickups.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
ok heres how it works. guitar pickups are designed to make a signal from the strings to drive the amp but as a byproduct of their design they are very sensitive to radio frequency interference. RFI sounds like fuzz/static and comes from almost anything electrical and pretty much anywhere you have electricity to play you will have RFI. when a cable is plugged in and the two lines inside going in and out arent connected to a grounded guitar they will pick up RFI very easily so naturally you will have that sound if you have a cable plugged into the amp thats not plugged into anything. even when plugged in you will almost always be able to hear something thats at least detectable if not noticible but if you plug into the guitar and it doesnt get noticibly quieter than its probably an electrical problem in the guitar with the grounding. probably a loose or broken wire or a bad soldier job. if youre not familiar with the wiring of a guitar and electrical work in general you should find a leuthier at a guitar store or repair shop and have them take a look. the most it will cost is 20 dollars or so unless you need new pots or pickups.

Okay plugging the guitar eliminates a high buzz, but I still hear bad static when it's plugged in, how do I fix that? and its not the guitar. all other guitars do that on my amp, and my guitar works fine with all other amps
Last edited by mick13 at Mar 1, 2009,
I have a GTD 120 and it has the same sort of noise. It's something to do with the high gain (or whatever it's called...the one with the red light) channel in the amplifier. At least, that's what I think might be wrong with it. I could be completely wrong, though. But considering I've experienced the same problem and I'm running a different amp through the same speakers with the same wiring, I think it has something to do with the amp itself. You might want to ask crate or take it to a tech who can tell you why it's picking up so much interference.
the only other thing i can think of is location. have you tried the experiments somewhere else. certain places can be "louder" than others like if youre playing in a room right above the main fuse box to the house or under power lines or by a neon sign or several other things. it can also come from the amp being plugged into the same circut as flourescent or neon lighting or several other things even if its not close to the light itself. in the video it sounded just like big nasty RFI coming from the amp but i suppose its possible that a problem in the amp is causing it but i would try finding the source from checking for the things i mentioned earlier because it would be a very odd problem for an amp to be broken internally but not make sound unless its plugged in.
ok basically I realize now that all Crate GTD models have that.

this is what mine sounds like THIS IS NOT ME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-dWjIG4k3I

ONCE AGAIN I WAS TO LAZY TO FILM AGAIN THATS NOT ME

but anyways my band is going to battle of the bands soon and I wanna sound good with no feedback. should I noise reduction pedal fix that sound? how do they work?
Last edited by mick13 at Mar 2, 2009,
If you run a Noise Gate through the effects loop it will kill some of the sound, but also some of your tone and dynamics because you have to set it on a pretty ridiculous setting.
A lot of Battle of the Bands hire out a backline for you, so just use whatever amps they supply. Email the people hosting it to check that they will supply amps first, though.
Member of the Laney Cult