Well, I've noticed one thing that I hate about my guitar right now. The tone I get SUCKS! Everything just sounds like shit.

Anyways, I was thinking about trading in all my pedals for new ones. I have two DigiTechs, two Boss', and Dunlop.

DigiTech:
Grunge - Distortion
Bad Monkey - Overdrive

BOSS:
DS-1 - Distortion
BF-2 - Flanger

Dunlop:
Crybaby* - WahWah

*I'm totally unsure of the exact model.

Anyways, I'm going to sell/trade in these pedals and get some better sound. I was looking for some recommendations on distortion, wah, and chorus pedals.

The stuff I want in these:

Chorus:
Extreme versatility without destroying much tone. I like to go from warbley to very slow and smooth with my flanger, but I'm tired of flange and I want a chorus that is versatile, yet something that's easy on tone.

Distortion:
I like high gain, but not any higher than Zakk Wylde.

Wah:
I may or may not trade this one in, but I want more control out of it. The one I have has no knobs.

My ideas:
Chorus - MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Distortion - Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff with Top Boost Distortion
Wah - Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah

Anyways, this oughtta add up to around $300 USD so I'd have to get a job first, but I want to know before I buy these.

Note: Yes, I have a tube amp. It's a Peavey Classic 30.

P.S. No, unfortunately, I haven't tried any of these out. The closest music store only sells Boss and DigiTech. They used to sell Dunlop, but quit doing that. I've only heard them on musiciansfriend.com. Thankfully, Musicians Friend gives a 45 day trial.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Sorry about the great wall of text...
Last edited by The.new.guy at Mar 1, 2009,
The Peavey Classic 30 cleans are awesome....

The distortion...not so much... what you could do, is run an overdrive with an EQ pedal through the distortion channel and see what you can produce that way.

I am recommending an MXR 10 band stomp EQ, and a Maxon OD808 or OD9. IN regards to Wah...I love the Vox wah, and the Crybaby....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The Peavey Classic 30 cleans are awesome....

The distortion...not so much... what you could do, is run an overdrive with an EQ pedal through the distortion channel and see what you can produce that way.

I am recommending an MXR 10 band stomp EQ, and a Maxon OD808 or OD9. IN regards to Wah...I love the Vox wah, and the Crybaby....

I might just have to bring my amp to the nearest Guitar Center!

...Which is 3 hours away...

EDIT: From the reviews on Musicians Friend, it say's that the 10 band EQ can crank out some pretty nice gain on it's own. Are they right or will I still have to turn on the gain on my amp to get a nice distortion out of it? Thanks for the advice, by the way! I think I might skip on the OD. It looks too spendy for what it does, if you ask me.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Mar 2, 2009,
if i hated my tone the first thing i'd change is my amp, not try to cover it up with pedals. the grunge is a pretty terrible pedal but the bad monkey is an awesome booster. you couldn't get any useable tones out of your classic 30 boosted with the bad monkey ? and what guitar do you have ? (i didn't see it in that wall of text)
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
dude, maybe you just need to mess with the EQ on your amp a little. The Peavey Classic 30 is an awesome amp. What kind of genres of music are you generally trying to play?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
change your guitar strings
Quote by I Be Andyy
That gives you rank of -10 out of 10. You fail. Go play the flute.

----GEAR----
Gibson voodoo sg
Schecter hellraiser c-1 fr (07' model)
Fender american strat
Martin 000-28
Peavey bandit 112
Mesa mark 5
Mesa stiletto 4x12
Hmm...You guys are quite right. The Classic 30 is an awesome amp.

To mikeyElite:
I play with a stock Kramer Striker. Not the best, but I get by. Maybe I should get a better guitar? The boost I get from the Bad Monkey is always too warm for my likeing. Maybe I just didn't fool with it enough. Also, I'm totally broke, and I don't want to spend more money on another tube amp. I just got this one within the last three months and, about a month after I bought it, my taste in tone changed. From warm bluesy to heavy shreddy. I already had these pedals lieing around so I hooked 'em up.

Yeah, I guess I should've posted the guitar in the wall of text, ehh?

To psychokiller99:
I generally would LIKE to get a shred tone out of it. Not too warm, but not so sharp that it stabs you in the ears. Like I said above, though, maybe I just didn't fool around with it enough.
I think if you play with your settings on the amp and bad monkey, you can get a better rhythm and lead tone out of it....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Brendan.Clace, mikeyElite, and psychokiller99, you were all more than right. I just wasn't messing with my settings enough. However, there is a little too much of a swooshy sound when I'm picking. I angle my pick a lot, but that is for ease, not tone. I know my pick angle is doing the majority of it, but is there a way to remove that swooshy, or cello-y sound as Paul G. calls it, without changing my pick angle?

Also, how much do you guys think I should/could sell the Boss Dist., DigiTech Dist., and Boss Flanger for? They all work perfect. They're just old. In fact the only problem with any of them is that some of the paint is coming off of the Grunge pedal. I was thinking 75% of the original price, or would that be too much?
used ds-1's go for around $25 on the used market, not sure about the others. probably the same for the grunge, but you could probably get like $80 for the flanger.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.