Contra Contraband or, Why Loaded Language Fails to Illuminate Art

Quote by Contraband
Nigga, please.

Not only is that post totally fargin' irrelevant, but you fail to give any sort of backing to your claims beyond "it seems like it". Both of those bands appeal to idiots and intelligent people alike. BOTH OF THEM ARE EXAMPLES OF PRIMITIVE MUSIC.

In what sense? Either one could easily be considered light years more 'advanced' than Beethoven or Mozart or Kind of Blue or any other purely acoustic music. You toss about terms like "primitive" and "advanced" had some sort of application here, but in practice they don't even have any meaning.

In a lot of ways, late medieval composition was "primitive," both in technical means at its disposal and in the relatively limited range of harmonic textures its composers availed themselves of. At the same time, the purely mechanical complexity of a polyphonic work with 24 or 32 separate voices far outstrips anything in the work of Bach, much less the far more austere works of Classical-era composers like Mozart or Beethoven. So is it "primitive" or "advanced?"

Ultimately, you can't effectively apply the loaded language of pop science and arrive at a meaningful understanding of art. Hell, you can't even apply them to actual evolution. Nature doesn't care whether an organism is primitive or advanced: it cares whether the organism is successful. Smart people are like nature, concerned with the success of a design, rather than with morally tinged weasel words like "primitive."

Just like you observe all the Burzum and Cannibal Corpse fans on the internet and treat it as a microcosm of reality.

Any evidence that it isn't? No? Well, then move along.
Last edited by Xanthippus at Mar 2, 2009,
You seriously started a thread to continue that argument? Fucking hell...
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
..........................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\
I didn't read that.

But, here is my pre-prepared response:

No.

I expect Snyper will close this **** before it gets out of hand. I sure as hell am not responding to that wall of text.
I've found Jesus
I love this thread.

Not because of the lack of merit concerning the opinion of the thread starter, no. Not that. This is pretty entertaining though, worthy of chuckle.

Not because of the massive amount of useless retort, coming from people who seem to actually think its accomplishing something, no. Not that either. It IS pretty damn funny though.

Not because of the fact that the first thing I do from coming home tonight was log on and see this humorously retarded piece of **** thread and its massive response. No. Not that. Though it does make me question the amount of activity I put into these forums. Then I laugh.

Its because Anus, and all its delusional extremist bigots have some ill conceived fantasy that they have grasped some radical reality in Metal.
A genre of music.
A genre that they were not even alive to witness the evolution thereof.
An art median that they discovered through radio, tv, and especially, internet.
They have taken the term poser, and molded their very own poser identity.
Poser extremist.
They say you are what you hate.

Yes. Yes that is why I love this thread.

Ladies and gentleman of Anus

I grew up with metal.

We were brothers.

We aged together.

Take it from me, Metal Mormans.

You can't be further from reality.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I think this is quite possibly the most asinine post I've ever read - including my own.

Let it go and get on with life - you're missing something right now by boiling over this....
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Person A: *Gets really worked up about somebody elses opinion and takes the rant to a forum topic because they can't let it go. Still, points for a decent argument*

Person B: *Makes a childish internet retort, undoubtedly now believing they have won the argument. Still, points for refusing to indulge ranting madman*

Person A: *Probably thinks that Person B's post was cop-out, and ergo, they themselves have now won.*

(Admitedly Overused) Stock Photo:

EDIT: WAIT! The massive ammount of smug satisfaction that gave me surely means that I now believe that I am indeed the winner. Godammnit.
Last edited by troubletcat at Mar 2, 2009,

Go back to anus before your stupid starts to rub off on the forum, please.

Burzum, yeah, not primitive at all, right, uh-huh, ok, if you say so chief, alright, can do, yup, mmhmm, sure.
I don't really see this as a bad thread. Yes, it might not belong here and shouldn't be here at all, but this kid really is making a point. You call these Anus members elitists, yet most of you metal elitists just flame every good point someone adds to a topic, and I'm sorry, but I believe everyone above me who has posted here so far, has done it. You guys see something that argues a point, and you immediately flame it. On that thread, the said post WASN'T irrelevant. And all music is primitive. Without primitive elements in our music, well, we wouldn't HAVE music. Banging on objects and hitting different things counts as primitive, or at least it sure does if you call Burzum primitive. I feel like most of you elitists just look at a post, don't even read it because it might contain intelligence (oh no!), and retort with flaming garbage about how stupid that poster is, which leads to a further chain of doing so.
^You.

I love you. You are so smart, you are the smartest king of smartland.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I heard a lot of people talking about a lot of things, in that other thread, but no one said:

Metal has improved in quality since 1988-1994.

They talked about its diversity, how there's a few exceptions who are good but not great, and how they have favorite bands.

But most just said how there's more of it.

Not that it's better.

That settles the debate, as far as I'm concerned.

Contra: How to discern reality = a far bigger topic than a message board can handle, I'm afraid.
Quote by troubletcat
Person A: *Gets really worked up about somebody elses opinion and takes the rant to a forum topic because they can't let it go. Still, points for a decent argument*

Person B: *Makes a childish internet retort, undoubtedly now believing they have won the argument. Still, points for refusing to indulge ranting madman*

Person A: *Probably thinks that Person B's post was cop-out, and ergo, they themselves have now won.*

Person C: Has experience in philosophy, debate, law or logical analysis; offers a sound opinion. Is shouted down by the crowd.
A short, concise reply to pretty much every post in this thread: WHO THE FUCK CARES?
○ ○ ○ ○ ○
This still isn't closed? What the fukk!?
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
This message board is crumbling under the sheer enormity of the reality that came with these two guys...

Atlas! Aid us in lifting both the heavens and our imaginary world and everybody else's imaginary world so that we may be able to further contemplate the delusion of our reality!

Argh! I can't hold it up any longer! The clouds are falling at my very feet?

...but then again, are these clouds really real? Or are they merely failing forms of art?

No no! They are to be rebirthed, like the Phoenix from Arizona!

Calamity! Calamity! Call the surgeon general! He shall help us contemplate how real his patient's heart is!

you guys are just as confused as anybody else about "reality" or whatever the hell it is you claim to see. Just because you grasp onto the strands of a faith that you yourselves deem correct, SURPRISINGLY DOES NOT MAKE YOU CORRECT!

Idiots.

edit: I apologize, I have a blisteringly high fever and that seemed to make sense to me.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Mar 2, 2009,
This guy should be on QI. Absolutely astounding wisdom right here.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by MetalMessiah665
This still isn't closed? What the fukk!?

Some of us do have lives outside of the internet you know.

None of the points of view these 'Anusites' put across make much sense to me. Or maybe it's more that I don't find it worth my time to make sense of them.

A lot of Poppycock I say.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link