Ok I' currently a junior at my university, but for some reason I feel that I'm stuck in neutral and not going anywhere. It has been three years since I was a freshman, now, I'm a junior but I feel (actually I am) behind. To take classes, the prerequisites keep piling up, homework, keeps piling up, ****, everything is piling up, yet I don't feel like im going anywhere... At first I felt a drive, now... I don't feel that anymore, its not fun anymore, I have lost my drive.. Is this normal for students? I was thinking of taking a leave of absence, or simply stop out so I can regroup and clear my head... what do you guys think? Has anyone been in this situation before?
University is a waste of time to prove that you can do boring tasks and be on time with them. Unless you are a lawyer or chemist, then you actually need that ****.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Yeah, it's normal. I suggest you hang in there, but if you really think you need a break then I guess you need to do what you feel is right. I have to warn you though, I have seen too many of these breaks become permanent.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
I'm entering pre law next year. im super stoked on it. my only advice is, and i know that it may not mean much since im not in college, is to find something that gets you excited about college again. its your only hope haha.
yeah, it's pretty normal. To get through that work load, set yourself one goal at a time, be it per day or whatever, and keeping doing it 'till things get easier. Works for me. =)
so just do it. who ever said school was supposed to be fun?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Well I guess you came to the realization that college is just a giant money making scheme, just as I have.
Well I guess you came to the realization that college is just a giant money making scheme, just as I have.

Very true... but it may pay for itself in the long run though
Quote by ScottElwood
University is a waste of time to prove that you can do boring tasks and be on time with them. Unless you are a lawyer or chemist, then you actually need that ****.

Says the grave digger to the KFC cook.

TS, I'm a Sophomore in college and I feel the same way sometimes. You need to think about what you want to do with your Engineering degree. Who do you want to help? How are you planning to help yourself? These don't have to be incredible feats or anything, but just something you want to do with your degree.

I'm a Music Psychology major and I'm scared out of my wits that I will not find a decent job after college--even after a master's program, for that matter. BUT! I do know that I want to educate people, and I do know I love helping people in need.

As for taking time off: if you know you'll finish schooling after taking however much time you need, then that could be a great idea. Although, don't allow yourself to quit for the sake of quitting; you're already 3 years in, you might as well finish the 4th.

Good luck, man!
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Quote by Johl
Says the grave digger to the KFC cook.

It's part of the "Hidden Curriculum" studied in sociology. I'm not saying college is useless, because with that degree you can go a lot of places. I say that because in order to attain the degree you do a lot of things that don't really teach you anything. Core classes such as math and English are necessary, but a lot of money is spent by students to go to classes that they will never ever use in their lifetime. There are "weed-out" classes in which the teachers will purposefully give work to their students just to figure out who is serious about learning and who is there to party, which is BS because there are a lot of students who can do both but struggle since the teachers are exacerbating things to a point where they can't do both.

I am a computer graphics major, and in the time I spent at Purdue University I literally had learned nothing that I couldn't have found online or had already learned in highschool, which is why I left and am moving to a more artsy school.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by ScottElwood
It's part of the "Hidden Curriculum" studied in sociology. I'm not saying college is useless, because with that degree you can go a lot of places. I say that because in order to attain the degree you do a lot of things that don't really teach you anything. Core classes such as math and English are necessary, but a lot of money is spent by students to go to classes that they will never ever use in their lifetime. There are "weed-out" classes in which the teachers will purposefully give work to their students just to figure out who is serious about learning and who is there to party, which is BS because there are a lot of students who can do both but struggle since the teachers are exacerbating things to a point where they can't do both.

I am a computer graphics major, and in the time I spent at Purdue University I literally had learned nothing that I couldn't have found online or had already learned in high school, which is why I left and am moving to a more artsy school.

Haha, you are most definitely right in that regard. However, I don't necessarily agree with your idea that professors give out busy work, at least not to the effect of high school teachers. I won't dispute the fact that an hour and half lecture on Wien's laws are trivial to a non-interested student. But then again, why not learn it? You're doing no harm to yourself by learning it, and at the very least, it will cultivate you further as an individual, perhaps even sparking interest in a subject you thought was pointless years earlier. I suppose that's the point of those filler classes; not all of us know what we want to do, or at least are ready to limit themselves to a single resource. (Kind of like marriage in a sense... the Mormon's got it right, didn't they? )
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Quote by Johl
Haha, you are most definitely right in that regard. However, I don't necessarily agree with your idea that professors give out busy work, at least not to the effect of high school teachers. I won't dispute the fact that an hour and half lecture on Wien's laws are trivial to a non-interested student. But then again, why not learn it? You're doing no harm to yourself by learning it, and at the very least, it will cultivate you further as an individual, perhaps even sparking interest in a subject you thought was pointless years earlier. I suppose that's the point of those filler classes; not all of us know what we want to do, or at least are ready to limit themselves to a single resource. (Kind of like marriage in a sense... the Mormon's got it right, didn't they? )

O.K as a senior in college I can attest that atleast half of the courses I've taken were bull**** filler course that were absolutley worthless and had nothing to do with my major. It's just a system to make money in the end. You are really just paying a fortune for a piece of paper with your name printed on it.
Quote by ScottElwood

... Uni teaches you critical thinking and analysis at a tertiary level. It doesnt matter what degree you do. Uni increases your key skills by leaps and bounds...

Though if you do crap like film studies I think they should extract your brain and use it in low grade animal feed because thats all you'd be good for. >_> Not that I am an elitists bastard or anything.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
... Uni teaches you critical thinking and analysis at a tertiary level. It doesnt matter what degree you do. Uni increases your key skills by leaps and bounds...

Though if you do crap like film studies I think they should extract your brain and use it in low grade animal feed because thats all you'd be good for. >_> Not that I am an elitists bastard or anything.

It's true though but it depends on the course, mine is highly rated
Quote by LedZepFan2000
Well im studying to be an engineer...

Well I can sympathise entirely with your situation, I know a lot of people lose their drive to learn at university, but i've personally noticed it a lot amongst the engineers. I'm currently doing the third year of my MEng degree here in England, and my class has dropped from its inital 160 down to just 54 students. I say stick with it, you can do a lot after you graduate with an engineering degree, perhaps if you can change classes, look for some that grab your interest a little more, not all areas of engineering are interesting to everyone. I wish you all the best, and really think you should stay at college, its the best move.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah