I'm just looking for some tips on merging styles of music. I just can't decide what kind of music I want to write. I know you should incorporate other styles into your music, that's what makes bands like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin and countless others great. But I listen to tons of styles, The Rolling Stones, Muse, SRV, Pink Floyd, Dylan, Sabbath, Elvis, Ray Charles, Foo Fighters, Grateful Dead, Clapton, Robert Johnson, Megadeth, Incubus, Mars Volta, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Pearl Jam, Chilis, Santana, White Stripes, Strokes to even Opeth, to name a few. I just don't know how to get all these sounds into my writing and still make it unified as opposed to just songs that sound like they could be from totally different bands. Thanks in advance
What makes these styles different are lots of different things like, scales, chords, modes ect. All you have to do is, when playing one style, change it up with a little lick or riff using a scale or mode more used in a different style (or genre), this way things don't sound too 'the same' as other songs in the style of music that your playing. Don't do it to much though or your music will sound messy and all over the place.
Check my profile...
Quote by Sasms
What makes these styles different are lots of different things like, scales, chords, modes ect. All you have to do is, when playing one style, change it up with a little lick or riff using a scale or mode more used in a different style (or genre), this way things don't sound too 'the same' as other songs in the style of music that your playing. Don't do it to much though or your music will sound messy and all over the place.

99% of western music is based in the major and minor scales, with a good chunk of that being based around a I-IV-V progression. Learning new scales (or modes) will not make you a more versatile musician in any meaningful way.

TS: Just...write. Unless you are writing specifically to win the approval of a specific population (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that), you don't need to be concerned with fitting your songs into a constraints of a genre.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Archeo Avis is right, I think since you've been listening to all those different bands so much, that'll be reflected if you just write what you feel like. It's too complicated to just name modes and scales each genre might use and try and merge them together, it's never worked for me at least.