What is the "proper way" to mix/EQ?

Question 1) I only have one mic and want to record my drums. I hear that if you know what you're doing, you can EQ a good sound. How would I do that?

Question 2) I always seem to have something too loud or too quiet. Can someone give me any tips on how to mix?

Question 3) Mastering. What is it, and is it reasonably easy to learn to do?

Thanks in advance.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
these things are not easy to do.
meet a sound engineer, and ask him to tell you more about it, and you'll probably need something like cubase. and no, there is no PROPER drum recording with one mic.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
1.) experiment, makes sure you are using good monitors.
2.) experiment, make sure you are using good monitors
3.) mastering is the final polish of a mixed track, you add a master compression, EQ and sometimes reverb and maybe a few other things. make sure to use good monitors.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Thanks guys.

I see good monitors are important.
short answers:

1. you can definitely record drums with one mic. that's how they used to do it in the olden days. honestly, mic placement is way more important than EQing. i'd suggest putting it on a stand six feet back from the center of the kit. toy around with it until you get a decent sound. then worry about EQing once everything's been tracked.

2. first off, make sure there's a good relationship between the kick and the bass guitar. you don't want one to dominate the other. the main source of sub-bass should come from the bass guitar, with punch being added to it by the kick. then, get the vocals in a good relationship with the kick and the bass. then you can worry about other things like guitars, back up vox, keyboards/atmosphere, whatever.

3. mastering is the process of taking the already mixed song, and making it a finished product. at the very minimum this usually means EQing and compressing.

i'm sure someone will come and give you much more in depth answers, but i hope this is OK until that happens.
Quote by Serjem
these things are not easy to do.
meet a sound engineer, and ask him to tell you more about it, and you'll probably need something like cubase. and no, there is no PROPER drum recording with one mic.

Yes, there are plenty of great recordings where the drums were recorded with one mic. granted, they were usually done by great engineers with great equipment, but don't say it can't be done.
Quote by b r y a n
short answers:

1. you can definitely record drums with one mic. that's how they used to do it in the olden days. honestly, mic placement is way more important than EQing. i'd suggest putting it on a stand six feet back from the center of the kit. toy around with it until you get a decent sound. then worry about EQing once everything's been tracked.

2. first off, make sure there's a good relationship between the kick and the bass guitar. you don't want one to dominate the other. the main source of sub-bass should come from the bass guitar, with punch being added to it by the kick. then, get the vocals in a good relationship with the kick and the bass. then you can worry about other things like guitars, back up vox, keyboards/atmosphere, whatever.

3. mastering is the process of taking the already mixed song, and making it a finished product. at the very minimum this usually means EQing and compressing.

i'm sure someone will come and give you much more in depth answers, but i hope this is OK until that happens.

That is very helpful, thank you.