Hello! Total newb to the forum. Been playing guitar for around 9 years. I am interested in all styles of guitar from John Fahey to Scotty Ian. My current axe is an ESP M-50 with a SD Invader in the bridge. I recently acquired an amazing half stack consisting of a Laney OR50 and a Marshall JCM900 Lead 1960 Straight cab -- all for only $610! I feel like I've gotten away with robbery. Anyway, I've found an interesting use for the often criticized Boss Metal Zone pedal. I run it through the effects loop, with the Line level at noon and the distortion turned all the way back to zero. None at all. I boost the highs and lows and lower the mids only slightly. I then turn the preamp volume on the Laney's gain channel to about 7 and I get a really modern Satanic sounding tone.

Doing this allows me to completely control the gain with the amps preamp volume knob. My question is, am I just amplifying the Boss's Solid State distortion, or am I getting a true mix of British tube and solid state?
Last edited by bravocharlie at Mar 2, 2009,
You are mixing the Laney distortion with the Laney distortion going through the Metalzone. If it sounds good, then keep using it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by bravocharlie
Hello! Total newb to the forum. Been playing guitar for around 9 years. I am interested in all styles of guitar from John Fahey to Scotty Ian. My current axe is an ESP M-50 with a SD Invader in the bridge. I recently acquired an amazing half stack consisting of a Laney OR50 and a Marshall JCM900 Lead 1960 Straight cab -- all for only $610! I feel like I've gotten away with robbery. Anyway, I've found an interesting use for the often criticized Boss Metal Zone pedal. I run it through the effects loop, with the Line level at noon and the distortion turned all the way back to zero. None at all. I boost the highs and lows and lower the mids only slightly. I then turn the preamp volume on the Laney's gain channel to about 7 and I get a really modern Satanic sounding tone.

Doing this allows me to completely control the gain with the amps preamp volume knob. My question is, am I just amplifying the Boss's Solid State distortion, or am I getting a true mix of British tube and solid state?

The boss metal zone has 2 uses:

1. A paperweight
2. Making other distortion pedals look good.

If you like it then by all means go ahead. But there's better stuff on the market.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
If you have the gain at 0 you're using it as a boost. It can be useful for getting a little bit 'more' for solos.
Quote by hendrixftw
The boss metal zone has 2 uses:

1. A paperweight
2. Making other distortion pedals look good.

If you like it then by all means go ahead. But there's better stuff on the market.

I understand. This is the kind of criticism I was expecting and it's cool. I've had this metal zone for years and it was my only option to get metal tone back when I was dealing with a Peavey Rage 158. But it's been collecting dust for awhile. Now it seems I can get really brutal tone by using it in a totally different way. Do you think I could accomplish this same thing by using an MXR 10 band EQ pedal?
Again, if you like the way it sounds, don't change it. Don't listen to these UG knobheads.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by bravocharlie
I understand. This is the kind of criticism I was expecting and it's cool. I've had this metal zone for years and it was my only option to get metal tone back when I was dealing with a Peavey Rage 158. But it's been collecting dust for awhile. Now it seems I can get really brutal tone by using it in a totally different way. Do you think I could accomplish this same thing by using an MXR 10 band EQ pedal?

Depends on what your definition of 'Brutal' is. The term is tossed around so lightly these days. I heard some kid called bring me the horizon brutal today.

But generally, if you can EQ it well, you'll be able to get a great tone for Death Metal, Grindcore or whatever you play.

I'm intrigued as to what your distortion now sounds like. Any chance of you recording some clips with a camera or something?
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
can we hear clips?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by littlephil
If you have the gain at 0 you're using it as a boost. It can be useful for getting a little bit 'more' for solos.

that's only really useful if you especially need the "metal" voicing for your distortion to come from the pedal, otherwise you might as well be using a DS-1 or SD-1.

edit: i'm skeptical about the pedal being put in the FX loop as that completely cancels out the preamp voice and i think you'd get a much nicer tone running it the same way, but in front of the amp. However, i have a metaller friend who uses a fender frontman with a danelectro fab metal in the FX loop which doesn't sound bad at all
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by bravocharlie

hey man by no means am I criticizing you. I quite liked it when I Played it my first few times. But as you mature as a guitarist you realise how bad the tone is.

10 Band is a great way to help, however I highly reccomend looking at an EHX Metal Muff - THe only pedal with metal in its name which is worth owning.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by Blompcube
that's only really useful if you especially need the "metal" voicing for your distortion to come from the pedal, otherwise you might as well be using a DS-1 or SD-1.

edit: i'm skeptical about the pedal being put in the FX loop as that completely cancels out the preamp voice and i think you'd get a much nicer tone running it the same way, but in front of the amp. However, i have a metaller friend who uses a fender frontman with a danelectro fab metal in the FX loop which doesn't sound bad at all

See this was the original question I had. So you're saying ALL the distortion is voiced by the pedal, even though the knob is at 0? Keep in mind that this is a pretty metal amp (AOR50) and would absolutely be fine without any stomp boxes, I just think that the pedal makes it very thrashy. Also, I've had the rig for less than a full 24 hours and have a lot more ****ing around to do. I shall try this pedal straight in front of the amp.

I do disagree, however, that I'd be better off using a DS-1 or SD-1. The Metal Zone has the EQ knobs which the former pedals do not. This is, I think, the secret.

And yes everyone, I do have recording capablities and will post some bites soon.
Last edited by bravocharlie at Mar 2, 2009,
I use mine as a boost in front of an already driven amp, i'd prefer it to a tubescreamer for metal applications. other than that, it is a truely aweful pedal.
to me it sounds like this would sound better if you replaced the metal zone with an EQ and turn the gain slider on the EQ all the way up, and adjust the bands to what sounds good
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by bravocharlie

Yes, effectively that's what you're using the Metal zone as at the moment, an EQ pedal will give you better control over frequencies though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com