For the second time I got the day off school because the risk of fire is to high.
My school isn't closed but some schools around the state are.My bus isn't running so I cant actually get into school tomorrow.
We also got a text from the police warning of high fire danger tomorrow.
So pit,how many other people has this affected?
And for all of you non-victorians,what are your thoughts on this?
I know some you guys get the day off school for snowstorms and such,but have you ever had the day because of FEAR of a snow storm?
And do you think the authorities are over-reacting to the latest bushfires?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I thought you were going to talk about a specially developed fire that causes fear.
And it's better to be safe than sorry, I guess.
Quote by metabolicmaggot
Win. +1 cookie for hide the beer.

Quote by Ian hawkins
For the second time I got the day off school because the risk of fire is to high.
My school isn't closed but some schools around the state are.My bus isn't running so I cant actually get into school tomorrow.
I know some you guys get the day off school for snowstorms and such,but have you ever had the day because of FEAR of a snow storm?

I don't think they're over reacting at all, just look at what happened a few weeks ago!
What school do you go to? (A nice stalker q)
I get a day off as well
Well have fun with ya day off
RIP Gooze

cats
I get a second day off tomorrow because my bus isn't running..
even though I don't go anywhere near the fires.. sort of.

Better to be safe than sorry I guess

Quote by Avedas
The police texted you? lol.

and yeah, practically everybody BUT me got a text message saying to expect high winds and be on alert for the fires blah blah.

I think they want me dead?
Last edited by Exploit101 at Mar 2, 2009,
due to your lack of talent in the paragraph structure department, it seems as though more school might be in your best interest....
we got a week off my freshman year because there was too much ash in the air. the sky was orange, it was like being on mars. it was pretty sweet, except that we couldnt go outside for the entire week without hurting our lungs.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Avedas

yeah this is awesome. i wonder when texting 911 will become an option.. "plz come quick som1 in house w gun"
signed,
your favorite poster
Quote by Ian hawkins

The police texted all my friends, but not me.

I do believe its over-reacting. Black Saturday happened after a string of 40 degree days... and their saying that tomorrows going to be as bad? Its no way near hot or dry or windy enough to be as bad.

Shoot me if im wrong
Quote by amaranth_todd

I do believe its over-reacting. Black Saturday happened after a string of 40 degree days... and their saying that tomorrows going to be as bad? Its no way near hot or dry or windy enough to be as bad.

Shoot me if im wrong

There sayin winds of up to 150km/h
...although maybe thats fast enough to put the fires out
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Ian hawkins

Yes. Just last Thursday we got the day off due to an expected snowstorm that was set to hit in the middle of the day, and they wanted to avoid having 1200 kids snowed in.
<Han> I love Hitler
Ahh, proud victorian.
Got the text too about warning...
Thought that was a little bit helpful for Victorians.
Luckily my school/area isn't all that near the main bushfires.

EDIT: I don't have the day off tomorrow.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
Last edited by sincewhen?? at Mar 2, 2009,
My cousin was killed. Im sorry to bring people down, Well, theyre all precautionary, he was fighting the fires to help and yeah.
I wish you the best man'
Quote by texico11
Outside? What is outside? I know only of the pit!
My school closed one day because of a "hurricane" ... this is when I lived in friggin Brooklyn.

All that happened was it rained alot ... I'm pretty sure it was just an excuse to not work that day
I got the text too.

It is kinda worrying, because when the fires at upwey were going, we could see them from my school oval, and we actually saw a convoy of fire trucks heading through, and my girlfriends house was supposed to get severe smoke.

Hopefully it won't repeat again, it feels like this time they're just trying to avoid another king lake, fair on them for that though.
Quote by amaranth_todd

Shoot me if im wrong

Black Saturday occurred because of the lack of back burning in combination with the high winds. The CFA was limited in back burning which increased the amount of fuel available to the fires. Then a cool change hit which brought in massive wind speeds and change of wind direction.

That's why they're issuing reports about tomorrow - 38C and a late cool change, wind gusts up to 150kmh.
I live in Werribee, so I guess you could say I'm pretty safe from the fires.

We all got the VicPolice text messages today. At least they're now spending the money given to them on something useful "an early warning system a few weeks ago would've saved 200 lives".
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Well where I live is about 100m from the point where the ash wednesday fires stopped, and I've experienced a few fires before so I guess bushfires aren't really new to me.
Seems like they are to alot of people though.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by ~Mr Brownstone~
I got the text, but it's kind of random considering I'm in the suburbs.

Not really.

The warning doesn't get to people who don't have mobiles, and if you have family/friends in high risk areas, you can pass on that warning message to them if for some reason, they don't know what's coming.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by Avedas

Like "hey dont go 2 school cuz of fire kk? ttyl //police"
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think EVERYBODY got the text
but my school is still open since i live in the south east suburbs
The text was;
Msg from Vic Police:Extreme weather in Vic expected Mon night & Tues.High wind & fire risk.Listen to local ABC Radio for emergency updates.Do not reply to thisSeems like they didn't want to go over the one text word limit.
Just for the people who didn't get the text.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz