Alright, I'm looking to buy a cheap tele ($500 or less) to play indie, grunge, and light prog. I'm looking at either the Squire Affinity Tele, Squire Classic Vibe, and a Xavier Tele copy. The Classic Vibe is $400, while the other two sit at $200. I was mainly looking at these guitars, because then I could fit a pickup swap into my budget, but if a MiM Tele is better for me even after the pickup swap in the cheap ones, I would like to make the best choice for my money and tone.

Is the Classic Vibe worth the extra $200 if I'm going to be swapping the electronics and hardware?

What pickups would you suggest to replicate a At the Drive-In tone, along with Nirvana, Silverchair, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Explosions in the Sky, and The Smashing Pumpkins?
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Alright, I'm looking to buy a cheap tele ($500 or less) to play indie, grunge, and light prog. I'm looking at either the Squire Affinity Tele, Squire Classic Vibe, and a Xavier Tele copy. The Classic Vibe is $400, while the other two sit at $200. I was mainly looking at these guitars, because then I could fit a pickup swap into my budget, but if a MiM Tele is better for me even after the pickup swap in the cheap ones, I would like to make the best choice for my money and tone.

Is the Classic Vibe worth the extra $200 if I'm going to be swapping the electronics and hardware?

What pickups would you suggest to replicate a At the Drive-In tone, along with Nirvana, Silverchair, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Explosions in the Sky, and The Smashing Pumpkins?

A strat might be better if that's the tone you're after. Are you looking for a good clean tone? Distorted?

If you really want a cheaper tele though, look around for a very good MIM Tele, the stock pick-ups aren't bad. I put the Seymour Duncan five-twos in mine and now it sounds amazing.
Quote by Zer0_In

Because $475USD is $600CDN

To Negbird: I want a good clean to light overdrive tone, and then I want it to sound good in a raunchy fuzz situation, think Jellybelly or Cherub Rock by The Smashing Pumpkins and Scentless Apprentice by Nirvana.
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Mar 2, 2009,
squier do a tele custom which has 2 humbuckers (based on the original fender wide range humbuckers). They have the treble range of single coils but the output of humbuckers so would probably be a good starting point for what you want. It's a nice versatile guitar. I ended up putting a P94 at the bridge on mine but I'd definitly recomend one given the bands you like and range of sounds you need to cover.
Quote by teamcooper
squier do a tele custom which has 2 humbuckers (based on the original fender wide range humbuckers). They have the treble range of single coils but the output of humbuckers so would probably be a good starting point for what you want. It's a nice versatile guitar. I ended up putting a P94 at the bridge on mine but I'd definitly recomend one given the bands you like and range of sounds you need to cover.

Do you think I have to go with humbuckers to get those sounds? I already have my upgraded RG321 that is really versatile, I just wanted something that was solidified as my indie/fuzz guitar.
I just thought humbuckers would be your best bet of getting ALL of tose sounds out of one guitars as the ones of the squier get more treble than most as well. If you already have a humbucker guitar then I'd get a single coil next which gives you loads of sounds between the two. Most of the bands you mentioned uses humbuckers though but I like single coils more so I'd always tell you to get a tele!