So I got my LP Studio Faded Mahogany (which I absolutely love) and I do like the Burstbucker Pro pickups. Although, I find they can be a tad muddy at times. I've heard taking the cover off will add more treble. I was wondering if anyone had taken the covers off their Burstbuckers and how they would compare the sound with and without.

P.S. And if anyone remembers the thread I made recently about replacing the Burstbuckers, I figured I'd try removing the covers to get closer to the sound I'm looking for while I save up for/decide what new pickups to get (if any).
2008 Les Paul Studio Vintage Faded Mahogany, Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier, Basson B412. 2009 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, Ampeg SVT-VR, SVT410HLF
Last edited by Thrillhouse86 at Mar 2, 2009,
I've heard before that it will make your pickups a little brighter if you take off the covers, but I've also heard it makes no difference. So, if your going to replace them anyways, I say do it, and let us know if it makes any difference.
There used to be a video on youtube where some guy removed the covers from his pups. I'd say it made more than a 'little' difference.
it depends on the type of covers.

anyway, if they're nickel covers, you might get a little bit of treble back but adding treble does not always mean adding clarity. You may just be trying to use too much gain...

That being said, BBpros are not for everyone. I don't particularly like them myself, and would much rather have a BB 1 and 2 combo. Overwound PAF tone just does not do it for me.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 2, 2009,
Well, I suppose I'll give it a try in the morning. I'll post the differences I perceive in this thread when I'm done. And to al112987, I really don't use much gain. The gain on my amp is not very high at all. I'd say I keep it between 8 and 10 o'clock most of the time.
2008 Les Paul Studio Vintage Faded Mahogany, Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier, Basson B412. 2009 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, Ampeg SVT-VR, SVT410HLF
On a Gibbo pickup it won't make too much difference. Even though I don't like them, the covers are made of the right kind of metal. Nickel=good, Brass=bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The covers on aftermarket BBP's are nickel, so taking the covers off of those will possibly improve the higher-end response to a small degree, if the pickups are at the right height to the strings. However at the wrong height (especially if the pickup is too high), you might find the the lower-response is increased too, which will make the pickup just as muddy (if not moreso) than it was with the cover on.

The BBP's that are put in guitars stock have brass covers with nickel plating. Removing this does sod-all.

Really though, BBP's aren't good pickups to begin with. I don't know why they even call them BurstBuckers, because they're nothing like the other BurstBuckers Gibson makes which are actually halfway decent.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'd just try replacing your pots first, see if upping them to 1megs helps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com