Hey. Well, I've got around $600 or so saved up after winning a few competitions, and I'm looking to move beyond my Spider III and get a proper tube rig. But before that, I want to understand the concept of Heads, Cabinets, Stacks, etc, and would greatly appreciate it if someone would enlighten me.

Thanks!

PS - I searched, but I couldn't find a thread for this, but if there IS a thread, it would be nice if you could give me the link.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Third thread down (stickied) = https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114
With 600 bucks, do not get a stack. Combo is the way to go for you. We need you to tell us what kind of stuff you will be playing and what other features you need.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
what exactly do you need to know?
Peavey XXX
B-52 AT 100
Peavey XXl cab
Boss Gt10
Jackson dinky
PRS Paul Alender SE
Dr.Pain-MD, thanks for the link, but It does not have the information I need. Also, I'm not looking to buy just yet(but I'll keep your advie in mind when I am), and I want to understand how Tube Amplifiers work(the specifics) and the concept of Heads, cabinets, i.e. what they are and what they do.

Thanks!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Third thread down (stickied) = https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114
With 600 bucks, do not get a stack. Combo is the way to go for you. We need you to tell us what kind of stuff you will be playing and what other features you need.

Dont tell the man what he wants (Or the girl what she wants, idk), maybe they're a stack person... I know I personally am, stacks kick combos ass.

Depending on where you are, you could probably get a Bugera 6260 for about that price, but then you'd need a cab... You could probably get a second hand 2x12 for $100 - $150

(That's if you in America, if you're in Aus like me, you've got no hopes on getting a good tube amp)

Quote by goonerbynature
Dr.Pain-MD, thanks for the link, but It does not have the information I need. Also, I'm not looking to buy just yet(but I'll keep your advie in mind when I am), and I want to understand how Tube Amplifiers work(the specifics) and the concept of Heads, cabinets, i.e. what they are and what they do.

Thanks!

Do you mean why tube?

Tube amps are superior to solid state, as they have a warmer sound, better overdrive/distortion (They don't clip like solid states), and they just generally have a better tone.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Mar 2, 2009,
i cant tell you about how the tubes work but basicly with a stack you have you head witch is their amp part of things and your cab witch is the speakers there conected by speaker cable in the back of the amp its like a combo kind of but the head and speakers are different peaces

i dont know it thatll help any
Peavey XXX
B-52 AT 100
Peavey XXl cab
Boss Gt10
Jackson dinky
PRS Paul Alender SE
Thanks for the replies guys, but what I really want to know is, what are Heads, what are Cabinets and what are stacks(the details)?

Also, what exactly they do, and things like why exactly we shouldn't play into a head without a cabinet, etc

Thanks.

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

you shouldn't play into a head with no cabinet because you wouldn't get any sound. you'd also blow your amp head since there's no speaker load.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by goonerbynature
Thanks for the replies guys, but what I really want to know is, what are Heads, what are Cabinets and what are stacks(the details)?

Also, what exactly they do, and things like why exactly we shouldn't play into a head without a cabinet, etc

Thanks.

Okay, heads are the amplifier, they have all the bits which amplify the sound, make it sound awesome, ect.

The cabs are the speakers, simple, you plug it in, and you get sound, like a huge 2 part combo amp.

You shouldn't play without a cab... Because then it'd be no use having an amp =P

Quote by mikeyElite
you shouldn't play into a head with no cabinet because you wouldn't get any sound. you'd also blow your amp head since there's no speaker load.

That too.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Ok, I get the basic idea. But what exactly do you mean by speaker load?

Also, why do Heads have wattages if there's no sound coming from them?
And what do you mean by the wattages of cabinets, and how do you match heads and cabinets(on the basis of wattage?)

Thanks.

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
Ok, I get the basic idea. But what exactly do you mean by speaker load?

Also, why do Heads have wattages if there's no sound coming from them?
And what do you mean by the wattages of cabinets, and how do you match heads and cabinets(on the basis of wattage?)

Thanks.

The wattage is the power output/usage or whatever, I can't remember, but cabs have a wattage basically to show what it can put out/handle, you can't run a 100watt tube head through a 10watt cab or something.

Also same kinda thing with Ohms, I'm not to clear on it, but I think it's something to do with the electronic power or range of the signal, a 4ohms output has to run into a 4ohms cab, so on. A lot of cabs have Ohms switches though, so it's all good.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Thanks guys, I'm beginning to see daylight now.

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

It is normal to have a cab capable of handling more power (in watts) than the Amp can put out. Think of it as safety margin. A lot of 4 x 12 cabs have speakers rated at 50 ot 60 watts each. Put them together and you can handle up to 200 or 240 watts which is far more than any sensible guitar amp will deliver.
Ohms are a measure of impedance (resistance) and mat be thought of like a tap in a pipe. If you have 4 speakers of 8 ohm impedance and wire them all with a through circuit (series) they will produce 4 x 8 = 32 ohms. Most amps can deliver for 4, 8 or 16 ohms so that would be no good. It the same speakers are wired in parallel (with both wires of each coming direct from the input socket) that makes 8 ohms divided by 4 speakers = 2ohms. That's worse than the first option. So 4 x 12 speaker cabs are usually wired as two parallel circuits with pairs of speakers in series. So 2 x 8 =16 ohm divided by 2 circuits = 8 ohm for the whole cab. Naturally, if your cab has 4 ohm or 16 ohm speakers, the wiring will be a bit different and that's why most amps have optional outputs.
My 4 x 12 for instance uses 4 x 200w speakers (yes, a massive 800w handling) and they are standard 8 ohm ones wired as an 8 ohm cab. My amp delivers 120W but does not have separate output sockets but a switching plug to select the output. One day I inadvertently plugged it as 16 ohm and that cost me a new power tube. Fortunately that old design is rare nowadays.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Ok, thanks a lot guys, especially Jesstaa and Lurcher!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist