this is my first build, I'm building in tech class so progress will be pretty slow, but i will definately need alot of help from GB&C.

So the redline is is my proposed neck joint, but i want to be able to access the frets, at least to the 22 pretty easily. Can I just move the pocket further out, or will this give me really bad sustain? Also how thick should I make the guitar its 46mm now but im thinking it will be good to have it about 40mm.
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Last edited by davo_333 at Mar 2, 2009,
Specs?
And 40 should be just fine.
Looks pretty good so far, I'd like to see how this turns out. Did you just cut all that using a bandsaw/similar?
superman is killing himself tonight
yeh all on the bandsaw. its still a bit rough but im hoping it turns out good.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Last edited by davo_333 at Mar 2, 2009,
Its no problem, you can sand it down and smooth it out so it looks smoother.
But honestly, its looking great so far! What are you planning to put in it?
wilkinson zebra humbuckers
24 fret jackson-style neck
black T.O.M bridge
black knobs
havent got tuners yet, might get some black gotoh locking
mahogany body

if it turns out real nice I'll buy some good pick-ups but these budget ones will do for now.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by guitarcam123
^ mostly electronics is my guess

Looks good TS, what type of wood?

Clever.

How are you going to paint this sucker?
And for the tuners, I'd recommend either Grover, Schaller (Both locking), or Steinberger gearless. All can be had in black.
paint im not sure yet. Either clear coat, black, or transparent black. If i do the normal black im going to put a stencil on it if i have enough time, probably a wolf howling at the moon.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
If I were you (And I'm not, so you don't have to do this), I'd not go with a black body. With black hardware that would look really...off. Unless your going for the invisible look.
But again, its your guitar, make it what you want.
Quote by guitarcam123
what budget pickups are you using? I recommend Guitar Fetish for pickups (not parts though)

Wilkinson humbuckers. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WILKINSON-HUMBUCKING-PICKUPS-Zebra_W0QQitemZ290298910053QQihZ019QQcategoryZ22670QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by Baby Joel
If I were you (And I'm not, so you don't have to do this), I'd not go with a black body. With black hardware that would look really...off. Unless your going for the invisible look.
But again, its your guitar, make it what you want.

Yeh nothing is decided yet . once i've got everything routed and in place i can decide on colours.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
also should i practise using the router first? I've never used one before. Do i need to be really careful when routing the neck pocket?
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
A good idea is to find some cheap pine/plywood as thick as your guitar, and just practice templates, outlines, all that stuff.
yes a router can cut your whole arm off in a few seconds if your not careful, although its more likely to cut your fingers off
kk yeh ill take care with the router and probably test it out on some pine.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
Yeah make a template for everything and practice using them

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
ok i know i started this ages ago, but we had exam block and then holidays so it wasn't worked on for ages. but now i have several questions.
1. the two pick-ups have different coloured wires, one pick-up is red the other is blue. which is the neck pick-up?
2. the bridge, do i just drill a hole and jam the piece in it, and then jus screw the bridge down to approrpiate hieght?
3. Does is matter how far away the tail-piece is?
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
btw he is some minimal progress-
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
can some1 help?
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
its a 25.5inch scale neck.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
okay so from your 12 fret, to your nut thats the distance the bridge(the one with the adjustable saddles) has to be Bridge-(equal distance)--12thfret-----(equal distance)-----Nut
kk. but the bridge is on a slight angle. so it wont be the same distance for each string. so which point do i measure from?
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
there was something i saw once on how to caculate the bridge angle :/
google it maybe?

Is that a compound radii neck or is it just the way the light reflects off it?
ill have to double check but im pretty sure its compound
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
For your pickups, just check to make sure the bobbins line up right to figure out bridge and neck. I'm 99% sure that the cream bobbin faces in, while the black faces out. Unless you're not doing zebras anymore, which makes this entire post useless
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
its also been my experience that the neck pickup's wires are a touch longer than the bridge so maybe try that out as well
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
I like it. I like it a lot.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I wouldnt have put the neck on until I routed the body
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
^ Why?

Neck route > bridge placement > all other cavity routing.

Quote by davo_333
2. the bridge, do i just drill a hole and jam the piece in it, and then jus screw the bridge down to approrpiate hieght?
Well may be not quite 'jam' the peice in, but yeah, measure alot mark the position of the studs drill holes and install the studs, then screw in the bridge legs.

Quote by davo_333
3. Does is matter how far away the tail-piece is?
It has to be close enough to exert enough tension on the bridge that the strings dont pop out their saddles, but not too close that the string angle over the bridge rubs on the back of the bridge.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by bv310
For your pickups, just check to make sure the bobbins line up right to figure out bridge and neck. I'm 99% sure that the cream bobbin faces in, while the black faces out. Unless you're not doing zebras anymore, which makes this entire post useless

thanks for that.

Quote by Absent Mind
^ Why?

Neck route > bridge placement > all other cavity routing.

Well may be not quite 'jam' the peice in, but yeah, measure alot mark the position of the studs drill holes and install the studs, then screw in the bridge legs.

It has to be close enough to exert enough tension on the bridge that the strings dont pop out their saddles, but not too close that the string angle over the bridge rubs on the back of the bridge.

Thanks for your help.

Quote by eddiehimself
I like it. I like it a lot.

awesome thanks for the support.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
Last edited by davo_333 at Apr 24, 2009,
ok about joining the neck together. Should i just use regular screws or something different?
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate