Page 1 of 2
After watching people attack TS in the "greatest thing" thread, I've become worried that the pit has stereotyped any religious parent/leader. It's not like everyone really forces their beliefs on their children...my parents offered it to me, and when I said no they were perfectly fine.

Do you guys really think that all religious leaders/parents force their beliefs and poison children? Cuz that thread sorta worried me.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Every christian is like kent hovind.

lololitsteoetype
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
You dont see catholic parents raising jews?
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
I should make a thread called "Atheism 'Poisoning'".
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
dude religion thread, this will be flamed too, knobo.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
I should make a thread called "Atheism 'Poisoning'".

Why? You never hear "250 atheists were killed after recieving heavy shelling from an agnostic stronghold in the north". That's all I'm saying, literally and figuratively.
I ain't racist, but fuck black people! - Michael Richards

Nigga please - Al Sharpton

Nigga please - Me
Religion sucks.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
Quote by bigz6006
Why? You never hear "250 atheists were killed after recieving heavy shelling from an agnostic stronghold in the north". That's all I'm saying, literally and figuratively.

meh, you've got a point there...
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by bigz6006

face it, the world is run not by Atheists.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by bigz6006
Why? You never hear "250 atheists were killed after recieving heavy shelling from an agnostic stronghold in the north".

Doesnt that tell you something RELIGION = EVIL!!!
PuTTing it StRAIGHt In YOUr MoUTH
Quote by Laces Out Danny

Well, it fucking should be. As an atheist, I question all religions equally. I wouldn't think "Oh, they believe differently to us therefore we shall blow the shit out of their country. An atheist's view about people who believe in a religion is basically "Feel free, but I don't want to know about it"
Last edited by JDbbx at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by bry0n
Do you guys really think that all religious leaders/parents force their beliefs and poison children? Cuz that thread sorta worried me.

FFS, no, we don't.

Is it just me, or do we get threads all the time where people think UG stereotypes all religious people as being Jim Jones?

EDIT: Although I have to say I find it absurd that so many people haven't noticed the blatant contradictions in all religions that have a loving, omnipitent god that made everything. Either that or they're choosing to ignore them.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 2, 2009,
I think religion is a good thing.....and so is atheism...
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Having been forced to sing hymns in assembly every day in my junior school life, and say prayers, yes i do think that completely.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
I understand I am an easy target and people attack me if I post about my son being born or meeting my wife or spending time incarcerated or about buying my bike.

It's ok. I know people that constantly ttack are looking for a mean respnse or something.

When I was at Corcoran I was in the Shoe (secure housing) due to disiplinary problems earlier in my time at SQ. Some "celebrity" types were in the shoe which houses 50 people so Manson is there and Sirhan Sirhan and Juan Corona too althoguh only for a short time.

These tyopes are the same. Tough guys when the doors are closed and attacking ith words but the doors open and they stay locked up cuz they know they're talking smack. Same thing with a lot of internet types.
Last edited by Roman Noodler at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by Laces Out Danny
I think religion is a good thing.....and so is atheism...

Of course, because:

"Nobody likes my religion!"

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

... is definitely a good thing.
Quote by Roman Noodler
Reported this belongs in the religion thread

Irooonyyyyyy, this is what you mean to meeeeee!
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think a lot of people are kind of....

uncomfortable with the idea of raising children away from religion. I for one, a person highly critical of religon (bordering on agonsticism/atheism) feel this way too.

maybe I feel it is necessary to instill in people these morals then and there....who cares if it's a lie, the world needs be made a better place.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Laces Out Danny
maybe I feel it is necessary to instill in people these morals then and there....who cares if it's a lie, the world needs be made a better place.

If you need religion to tell between good and bad, maybe you shouldn't exist?
Seriously, if you need to be told everything you lack the most important part of being human, and that is cognitive reasoning.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Laces Out Danny

uncomfortable with the idea of raising children away from religion. I for one, a person highly critical of religon (bordering on agonsticism/atheism) feel this way too.

You don't need to be religious to have morals, I was raised completely without religion and I still know killing and stealing is immoral.
Quote by Laces Out Danny

and religion makes the world a better place?

are you kidding me? look at all the crap going on in the world and ask yourself how much of it is caused by religion. Take religion out of the equation and we'd basically all just get along most of the time. There wouldn't be any reason to kill each other.

Atheism ftw!
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
A lot of parents do and it is quite understandable why they do. I still disagree with it.

And the person who posted above me is a jackass. EDIT: Make that the guy like 4 posts above me. The three guys above me all think he's a jackass too.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Sheepdragon
If you need religion to tell between good and bad, maybe you shouldn't exist?
Seriously, if you need to be told everything you lack the most important part of being human, and that is cognitive reasoning.

even if people know what is right and wrong....I feel there is always going to be some stupid fuc ktard who's going to blow up some coffeehouse being he chooses the latter. I mean

if he feared "God" maybe he wouldn't.

I don't even know exactly why I feel this way.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
ZeGuitarist, you have pretty much summed up religious beliefs and wars. haha.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by bry0n

Organized religions are based on specific doctrines. For these doctrines to be taken seriously (as they must be for the religion to continue) then people must be indoctrinated into the church. That means forcing a your beliefs on people too sheepish to think for themselves--much of the time these people are children since their little minds don't yet have critical thinking skills and they take everything at face value.

It's no different than teaching kids anything else: nationalism, capitalism, democracy, etc. If you need a unified mass of people to stick to your set of beliefs you have to have some process of indoctrination and that process works best on children.

Hey wow, I gave a response that makes sense and wouldn't have to be confined to the religion thead. Bet that when I post this I get the message "sorry this thread has been closed" and I've just wasted 3 minutes of my life.

edit* wow it wasn't closed yet.

Quote by mrjimborinsane

are you kidding me? look at all the crap going on in the world and ask yourself how much of it is caused by religion. Take religion out of the equation and we'd basically all just get along most of the time. There wouldn't be any reason to kill each other.

Atheism ftw!

and let's see how much killing too place in Soviet Russia where everyone was allegedly athiest. Or communist cuba? or China?

Correlation doesn't equal causation. It's stupid to think that because religion is used to justify violence that it is the actual cause of violence. Big difference there.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 2, 2009,
imo, the same proportion of atheists are tools as religious people, if not more. religious people have to question their faith every day as to why they're abstaining from something that seems "fun", why they believe in something else (God) and worship him etc. atheists, however, just decide not to believe in it but then never really need to question their lack of belief.
most atheists that i know haven't really given it that much thought but have a lack of faith because it's the trend or to seem smarter. a lot are arrogant people who want to seem different and smart.
likewise, i'll admitt that most religious people don't really question their beliefs but are just brought up to believe something and just follow it for tradition.
i'm just going to stick with "most people are dumb!"
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by whalepudding
You don't need to be religious to have morals, I was raised completely without religion and I still know killing and stealing is immoral.

Yeah..me too...i do not adhere to any particular religion yet I feel that there are lot of people that seriously need it. Even if it's not true, I view it as a necessarly social implement.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Laces Out Danny
even if people know what is right and wrong....I feel there is always going to be some stupid fuc ktard who's going to blow up some coffeehouse being he chooses the latter. I mean

Or he might be an open minded, rational person as an athiest, and a coffeehouse-bombing militant zealot as a religious person. They're both possible.
Well, not belonging to an organized religious organization or affiliation i will not comment on them. I am one man doing what I believe to be God's work and trying to make life better for all the people in my community.

God Bless
Quote by Laces Out Danny
actually, about 73% of government officer, college professors, and teachers are either atheist or agnostic. so yes, in a sense the world is run by atheists.
Quote by Laces Out Danny

I don't even know exactly why I feel this way.

i'm pretty sure there were more people that killed because of religion than because they weren't told to properly fear god. examples: hitler, the crusades, etc.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by whalepudding
Or he might be an open minded, rational person as an athiest, and a coffeehouse-bombing zealot as a religious person. They're both likely.

open mindedness and rationality do not necessarily equate with religion. The current world is dominated by the first world countries, over the thrid world countries. Now, imagine if you lived in a 3rd world country and feel like you're being ****ed over, wouldn't you bomb the hell out of the other domineering country to get what you want? Threats? yes I suppose. and that's what terrorism is all about.

however the basis for all the major world religions is MORALS. Sure, there are a few extremist groups, but I view them as obscurely religious that have almost NOTHING to do with the original intentions of religions. They just qualify as sects of the religion but in reality is completely different. that is pushing the dictionary definition a bit there.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Laces Out Danny

At this stage most of the Western world probably is, or agnostics/deists at least.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Laces Out Danny
open mindedness and rationality do not necessarily equate with religion. The current world is dominated by the first world countries, over the thrid world countries. Now, imagine if you lived in a 3rd world country and feel like you're being ****ed over, wouldn't you bomb the hell out of the other domineering country to get what you want? Threats? yes I suppose. and that's what terrorism is all about.

however the basis for all the major world religions is MORALS. Sure, there are a few extremist groups, but I view them as obscurely religious that have almost NOTHING to do with the original intentions of religions. They just qualify as sects of the religion but in reality is completely different. that is pushing the dictionary definition a bit there.
The basis of most religions is belief.

Many religious people are quite happy to ignore the moral teachings of their religion because the central message is "believe in x deity and you go to heaven", not "be a good person and go to heaven".
Quote by freedoms_stain
The basis of most religions is belief.

Many religious people are quite happy to ignore the moral teachings of their religion because the central message is "believe in x deity and you go to heaven", not "be a good person and go to heaven".

If those same people who ignore the moral beliefs of religion where Atheists instead, then they would still be the same.

They would replace their belief in the god with belief in money, or self-indulgence. It's just the same, choosing atheism over religion or vice versa is no cure.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Laces Out Danny
If those same people who ignore the moral beliefs of religion where Atheists instead, then they would still be the same.

They would replace their belief in the god with belief in money, or self-indulgence. It's just the same, choosing atheism over religion or vice versa is no cure.
I think you meant to quote someone else, this doesn't address my comment at all.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I think you meant to quote someone else, this doesn't address my comment at all.

it doesn't...? No I meant to, I was saying that people who look for a way to ignore the morals in either religion or atheism will be the same either way. It's not BECAUSE of religion.

sorry for the muddle-ness.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by mrjimborinsane

Atheism ftw!

Religion doesn't cause wars. The desires of wealth and power do. People just use religion as an excuse to make their actions looks more honorable and moral. I for one think that a lot of good can come from religion. It helps people cope with death and grief. It can give people hope for a better future. It can unite people (though it can divide people as well). Also churches can raise money for charities and help their communities.

This coming from a nonbeliever btw.
Quote by master
Religion doesn't cause wars. The desires of wealth and power do. People just use religion as an excuse to make their actions looks more honorable and moral. I for one think that a lot of good can come from religion. It helps people cope with death and grief. It can give people hope for a better future. It can unite people (though it can divide people as well). Also churches can raise money for charities and help their communities.

This coming from a nonbeliever btw.

I hate atheists who feel the need to praise religion. It does nothing praiseworthy. You don't need to be religious to be charitable, help people grieve or inspire hope. Irreligious methods of doing those have the benefit of not being based on falsities.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 2