I bought a used Squire standard strat with a 2-point tremolo system just to use as a back-up or practice guitar. I planned on not really caring about it too much, but it's actually pretty nice and has a great neck. Unfortunately, it's also got a problem with the bridge plate tremolo system. The threaded inserts that the pivot pins screw into (see attached photo) are not sufficiently tight in the body, and are pulling out too easily. Does anybody know how these things are supposed to stay in the body? Are they just pushed in there or are they glued? I've got the bridge plate flat against the body now and they are staying in because I've got equal pressure on the strings and springs. But using the tremolo would be out of the question. I actually don't use the trem hardly at all anyway, so I'm undecided how I should fix it. Should I attempt to secure those in the body somehow, or jsut take the easy way out and shoot a couple screws through the bridge plate into the body and be done with it?
Attachments:
370008.jpg
Those Ferruls are pressed into the body. Throw some Gorilla glue (just heavy duty wood glue) in the holes and put the ferruls back in their holes. Should be good to go!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
If you never use the trem, it could be worth getting a hardtail. It's essentially a normal Strat bridge, but without the whammy bar hole, so it's completely symmetrical - plus screws in the rear to prevent it moving, so you have a totally solid bridge.

Last edited by EJD at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by EJD
If you never use the trem, it could be worth getting a hardtail. It's essentially a normal Strat bridge, but without the whammy bar hole, so it's completely symmetrical - plus screws in the rear to prevent it moving, so you have a totally solid bridge.

that's not going to direct mount on a strat set up for a trem. That's made for guitars that use a string thru bridge setup like a tele. To mount it on a trem style strat body, you would have to fill in the trem cavity and then drill for the the string thru.

TS, if it's really that much of a concern, take the entire bridge assembly out, fill the holes with woodfilling and re-install the bridge, that should help.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Thanks for the replies so far. I do have a non-trem bridge on my Tele and like it much better, but I like the shape and balance of the strat bodies more, and the smoother tone with less twang is the sound I like. I can keep the tension on the back of the bridge with the springs, and if I can get the front of it stabilized with the glue on the "ferrules" (cool word), then at least it's fixed but still usable, in case I ever change my style or taste. Think the Gorilla glue is the best and strongest option?