I'm getting new pickups but need to buy the pots separate. I'm going replace my old 250k with 500k pots so I can't use the old ones.

Regardless, I was wondering do they have separate volume/tone pots or is there just one type of pot and you wire it differently for volume and tone?

Here's what I'm looking at ... http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Standard_Control_Pots.html

Also; do I need to buy new caps, if so what size/type!? I've never done this before so any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!
Last edited by hendricks.89 at Mar 2, 2009,
Nah those are the standard pots for both volume and tone

Stew macs 0.050 mf capacitor will work well

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Caps_(capacitors).html

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
if thats sarcasm, the pots used for volume and tone are the same. but the capacitor added to one makes that into a tone control.

if thats not sarcasm, i'm retarded and nevermind.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
^No, there are logarithmic and linear. Log for volume, Linear for tone. They will both work, but the human ear interprets volume with logarithmic frequency change, so a linear pot will seem to cut off the volume increase half way.
------

Shwiggity.
Haha, no ... I didn't mean for any sarcasm. It got me on the right track, I did some more digging this morning and that helped too.

This really does help; but I was wondering too if anyone had any wiring diagrams? I'm looking at a set of swineshead pups and they have a decent diagram on their site, but I was wondering if there were any other's out there that are any better?

Thanks! (sarcasm-free, haha!)
Quote by deftonesordie
^No, there are logarithmic and linear. Log for volume, Linear for tone. They will both work, but the human ear interprets volume with logarithmic frequency change, so a linear pot will seem to cut off the volume increase half way.

I don't know why you would use linear pots for tone. The change is even with an audio pot, I use them interchangeably for volume and tone.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
so what caps should I get? I'm looking at the guitarfetish site and there are a few different ones. I thought I was set to go on the .05 but I'm not sure now.

What is the difference?!