Want to get into this. So far for theory I know my intervals, chord formation, harmonizing triads and 7th chords from major/minor scale, secondary dominant substition, tritone/flat fifth substition, circle of fifths, major/minor scale (and technically modes, though I rarely use them, only for specific runs over chords) cadences and some functional harmony.

i did a search on voice leading on UG. couldnt find anything. could someone explain or pass me a link? Mean while I'm going to read the wikipedia article on it.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
i dunno any stuff about lead singing i just sing write songs sing em like i can do that stuff i just dont know what its called lol
Quote by liveinthedark
i dunno any stuff about lead singing i just sing write songs sing em like i can do that stuff i just dont know what its called lol

Voice leading isn't about singing
If you want to get into voiced leading, which is a good decision, you need to be able to read sheet music. I would reccomend finding a book or a teacher though, it is a bit more complicated then the very basics of theory.
I dont agree that you need to know how to read to learn voice leading. It did help me if you go about learning it in the classical method but you can decide to approach it differently.

Voice leading is very strongly tied to counter point so I suggest you start there. That is the 2nd link that I gave you. (The wiki page on Counterpoint is actually pretty good too.)
Quote by Kaos_00
I dont agree that you need to know how to read to learn voice leading. It did help me if you go about learning it in the classical method but you can decide to approach it differently.

Voice leading is very strongly tied to counter point so I suggest you start there. That is the 2nd link that I gave you. (The wiki page on Counterpoint is actually pretty good too.)

It's the best way by far. Why wouldnt you learn it with sheet music? Once you get into three and four part writing Choral voices are generally used (this is with my experience) and you have to read sheet music to be able to write in it. How else would you learn voice leading? Tab lol?
Written notes/intervals. Sound clips. And voice leading isn't restricted to choral voices....
Quote by Kaos_00
Written notes/intervals. Sound clips. And voice leading isn't restricted to choral voices....

I never said it was, but name one benifit of writing notes and intervals down instead of just writing sheet music. Sound clips I will agree are important, but its hard to analyze music when it isnt even written out properly.
I was a classically trained pianist (as a young child, basically all I got from that was learning how to read sheet music), violinist in school ensemble, and sang in school choir for a period of time (didnt go that well though), so I can read sheet music. but thanks for the help guys, I've got a lot of reading ahead of me today. good thing i'm snowed into my house.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by blueriver
I never said it was, but name one benifit of writing notes and intervals down instead of just writing sheet music. Sound clips I will agree are important, but its hard to analyze music when it isnt even written out properly.

The one benefit is that you dont have to spent time learning to read that sheet music. A lot of good guitarists learned differently. I think sheet music is only important to a guitarist if he is interested in composing and analyzing music. That's why I learned to reed music.
Quote by blueriver
Once you get into three and four part writing Choral voices are generally used (this is with my experience) and you have to read sheet music to be able to write in it. How else would you learn voice leading? Tab lol?

Is that similar to writing for SATB?
Quote by liveinthedark

Hee hee.
Quote by Kaos_00
The one benefit is that you dont have to spent time learning to read that sheet music. A lot of good guitarists learned differently. I think sheet music is only important to a guitarist if he is interested in composing and analyzing music. That's why I learned to reed music.

I agree but how do you learn voice leading without analyzing music? And being too lazy to spend a couple of weeks learning how to read sheet music is not beneficial. It isn't hard, and doesn't take that long to get used to. If you want to learn theory it is better to read music in the long run, it will be alot easier.
Last edited by blueriver at Mar 2, 2009,