do you have to re-bias every time you get new tubes?

told you it was quick,
Sam
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Yes. But it depends on your amp. Not all amps have to be biased.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Yes. But it depends on your amp. Not all amps have to be biased.

thanks for the response!

how would one know if you had to bias his/her amp? the amp in question in this scenario is an old Peavey VT Series Deuce. it has a solid state preamp, and just 4 6L6GC power tubes if that means anything.

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i don't know about that particular amp, but for most amps, it's easy to determine whether it's fixed bias or adjustable bias.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Preamp tubes can always be changed witout biasing.
Changing power tubes USUALLY requires you to bias the amp.

IF your amp has a fixed bias, you won't have to bias the amp. Consult your amplifier manual to see if it has a fixed bias.
WTLTL 2011
oky doky, i googled it and i keep seeing things about how people re-biased this amp; therefore, i assume that it needs to be re-biased with tubes. i'll track down an amp techie then.

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Mark G
IF your amp has a fixed bias, you won't have to bias the amp.

False. Fixed bias needs rebiased. Cathode bias (usually) doesn't.
Fixed means the bias is preset and you must match to those milli-amp values when replacing power tubes. (Unless of course you mod the power section of the amp).

Cathode means you do not have to bias power tubes (Edit, I see Whole Lotta's post now)

Non-Adjustable Fixed (like the Peavey Valveking for example) means you can't adjust it manually but has Cathode bias like qualities to protect the tubes and the amp.

My guess is if you bought a 'Matched' or balanced quad of power tubes for that VT amp you won't have to bias them but I'd refer to the manual to be sure.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Fixed means the bias is preset and you must match to those milli-amp values when replacing power tubes. (Unless of course you mod the power section of the amp).

Cathode means you do not have to bias power tubes (Edit, I see Whole Lotta's post now)

Non-Adjustable Fixed (like the Peavey Valveking for example) means you can't adjust it manually but has Cathode bias like qualities to protect the tubes and the amp.

My guess is if you bought a 'Matched' or balanced quad of power tubes for that VT amp you won't have to bias them but I'd refer to the manual to be sure.

ok, well i would be buying matched JJ's, but the manual that i found for the thing online doesnt mention anything about biasing
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional