Whats up!

I had a quick question and more of just looking for opinions of others and their experience.

My amp head has a line out XLR that I plug directly to my digital recorder. And other times I use a Shure SM57 to mic the amp and record from there.

My question is where is the difference and what is better?

The Shure SM57 seems like the recorded sound is a bit more gainy and trebly than the amp tone..and it doesn't really handle the low end boom that well. The Line Out sounds okay, but at times lifeless (and doesn't fully capture the tone of the amp it seems).

I haven't tested the mic as much as I want to. I've moved it about a couple of places and have bettered the tone, but not drastically enough....yet.

Any experience with this and any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Later,
Eric
i perfer micing the amp, but in a professional setting, high end recording mics would be used in the studio.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
i perfer micing the amp, but in a professional setting, high end recording mics would be used in the studio.

I prefer micing as well however,SM57's are used daily in professional studios. What you don't have that they do are the $3,000 preamps and converters.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
You should do both, It makes a really cool sound. You get the Un-modified sound from the DI and you get the ambience from the SM57. If you get 2 mics, put one at the end of the hallway and the other up to the cab, and record twice, pan the back 2 far to left and right, and front to far left and right.

Hopefully that romotely made sense. I'm in a hurry, late for school again.
..I was watching my death.
Led man32 --- True point!!!

Hmmmm timbit...I'm trying that in about 3 hours when I get off of work...that's actually a good idea..Maybe with the DI being lifeless, the recording also off the mic would help with emulating the sound actually coming out of the cab a bit better...good idea.