ive read here and there to learn the major minor pentatonic scales
does that mean a,g,c,d pentetonic etc..
and is there just a C scale not minor or sharp?
and finally do riffs and licks ever become easier to come up with?
theres only 1 shape you have to learn really, then you just move it all over the fretboard, i think you should invest in a teacher.
and yes with decent theory knowledge writing gets easier.

Edit: for pentatonics, then theres another for minor and another for major and so on.
Quote by stephen_rettie
theres only 1 shape you have to learn really, then you just move it all over the fretboard, i think you should invest in a teacher.

Edit: for pentatonic, then there’s another for minor and another for major and so on.

I respectfully disagree. While there is only one form for the root position of the minor pentatonic, there are 5 modes that one should learn to be truly proficient in the scale.

But yes, invest in some theory classes, they will help greatly.
Quote by stephen_rettie

Edit: for pentatonics, then theres another for minor and another for major and so on.

If you had a decent knowledge of theory I doubt you would be recommending learning one box shape for the pentatonic scale. There are five of these patterns, learn them all all the way across the fretboard. Learn what notes you are playing in the scale.
does that mean a,g,c,d pentetonic etc..

Pretty much.

and is there just a C scale not minor or sharp?

A "C" scale is just one that has "C" as it's root note - so there isn't really one C scale.

and finally do riffs and licks ever become easier to come up with?

Yep. Train your ears and keep practicing.
Quote by blueriver
If you had a decent knowledge of theory I doubt you would be recommending learning one box shape for the pentatonic scale. There are five of these patterns, learn them all all the way across the fretboard. Learn what notes you are playing in the scale.

i know man but i didnt want to scare him off by saying he's gotta learn 5 shapes, if he learns the first one then he can play with it and then learn the next.
christ im trying to help, not show off my 'decent knowledge of theory'
Quote by SEALSniper1152
I respectfully disagree. While there is only one form for the root position of the minor pentatonic, there are 5 modes that one should learn to be truly proficient in the scale.

But yes, invest in some theory classes, they will help greatly.

Modes have nothing to do with it, and I would recommend avoiding them entirely until you have a firm grasp on tonal harmony.

TS: Focus on learning the major scale in every key, all over the fretboard, as well as the theory behind it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.