Which guitar would be best for metal stuff? Budget is £400
Last edited by Six-Six-Six at Mar 2, 2009,
Current gear?
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
S470

The first guitar I ever bought myself and I still love it like some kind of sexy wooden child.
The S470 is a pretty darn good guitar, although the sustain will not be as good as an RG...

EDIT:

Quote by Six-Six-Six
Crappy starter pack guitar
Line 6 (30w) Amp

Get a new amp first. A nice valve (tube) combo with a "crappy starter" guitar will sound loads better than an intermediate Ibanez through a Line 6.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Last edited by BobMarleysGhost at Mar 2, 2009,
oooh, well what i suggest you do is to;
1. Get the S but make sure to replace your amp ASAP
2. Get THIS or THIS (Or whatever else is suggested) THEN get a new guitar

Preferably the second choice as you will see more benefits, quicker
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by willythegame

doesnt melody great but it owns when your just rattling out metal tunes

WTF is that supposed to mean?
Quote by telecastermetal
i dont live in merica.
and enter sandman has good songs
I think the S-series are a more rounded, versatile guitar. But the RG would be a better bet if you're playing metal. Just my opinion...I own one of each, and the S can do metal but the RG just does it better imo.
I have an S and I hate it. Just showing you how one guitar can be loved by a majority yet still hated by an Individual. My advice - try them out for yourself. The main thing against the S is its extremely thin neck. Go try it and see for yourself.
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
I own an S470 and honestly AT THE MOMENT I don't even play it, even when playing Satch songs I play my Les Paul......let me explain.
The S470 probably can be a great guitar, but I bought mine brand new from a shop and the setup on it was, well lets just say it was the opposite of setup, the action/intonation/tuning stability/truss rod/fret buzz is all way out of whack (wasn't THAT bad when I first got it but didn't take long until it was all gone, even so when I bought it I asked the shop to give it a proper setup and they refused) the frets have worn down incredibly quickly, the whammy bar honestly is all over the place and by this I mean that even when the springs are at their loosest it is a struggle to move the whammy bar by what you'd consider fair far and the whammy bar is very loose and the tension adjuster does nothing to aid in this. Other than that the neck and middle pickups are in my opinion terrible, very muddy and just bad overall.

Now I am soon going to be taking this guitar to my tech to see if he can rescue it and I'm sure he can work some magic to sort this all out but I'd like to stress that if you buy an S make sure, for the love of god, MAKE SURE, it is all setup nicely because otherwise it'll drive you crazy.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
I own an S470 and honestly AT THE MOMENT I don't even play it, even when playing Satch songs I play my Les Paul......let me explain.
The S470 probably can be a great guitar, but I bought mine brand new from a shop and the setup on it was, well lets just say it was the opposite of setup, the action/intonation/tuning stability/truss rod/fret buzz is all way out of whack (wasn't THAT bad when I first got it but didn't take long until it was all gone, even so when I bought it I asked the shop to give it a proper setup and they refused) the frets have worn down incredibly quickly, the whammy bar honestly is all over the place and by this I mean that even when the springs are at their loosest it is a struggle to move the whammy bar by what you'd consider fair far and the whammy bar is very loose and the tension adjuster does nothing to aid in this. Other than that the neck and middle pickups are in my opinion terrible, very muddy and just bad overall.

Now I am soon going to be taking this guitar to my tech to see if he can rescue it and I'm sure he can work some magic to sort this all out but I'd like to stress that if you buy an S make sure, for the love of god, MAKE SURE, it is all setup nicely because otherwise it'll drive you crazy.

What an odd way to deter someone away from a really good guitar. Wouldn't it be fair to say the jist of what you're saying is - even good guitars need to be setup correctly to play well?

Go for the S. I prefer the shape and feel to the RG, but that's a personal preference. Both are great (provided the trem is either a ZR or an Edge Pro).
Quote by kelvinxkelvin
The main thing against the S is its extremely thin neck. Go try it and see for yourself.

It uses a Wizard II, same as most RGs.
Quote by ProfDrum
It uses a Wizard II, same as most RGs.

it doesn't really feel the same to me. Similar.... but not quite
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
i prefer the RGs or JEMs better. They generally have the features that i like.. H/S/H, 24 frets, reasonable weight, great tone.
S470 is an great guitar but it's thin bodied and needs better pups.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
To be honest they are both well suited for metal. Ibanez basically makes their guitars for the rock/metal player so you cant go wrong really with either. I really like the RG series personally but check them out and see which you like the best.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor