I just bought a new Fender squire strat. I want to reduce the hum. What is the most common fix for this problem?

I was going to guess getting a HumBucker setup would help?

What does everyone else do? Rip off the pick guard, swap for humbuckers and take the slider off?

My amp is fine. I'm just curious as what would be the best mod to remove buzz from the squire.

Thanks
You're going to get that with single coil pickups, especially with cheaper Squires. There's not much you can do.

Turn the volume on the guitar down and the volume on the amp up.
What you are talking about doing is going to take more time and money than it is worth.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Anyone with knowledge on modding a squire want to chime in?

Can't you swap out the middle pickup for a humbucker style and have the best of both worlds? What brand/type of pickup would work?
Last edited by dippindivin at Mar 2, 2009,
Take it back... Get a cheap Epiphone or something... Atleast they have humbuckers.

The L&M out here has a mirror pickguard G-400 and its $79.99, So im sure you can find a cheap one at a music store thats in rough shape for really cheap. the pick guard was all scratched up, So yeah, Heh
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Quote by dippindivin
Anyone with knowledge on modding a squire want to chime in?

Erm, my friend?

A few people who know about guitars have 'chimed in', and you appear to not like the answer. The point people are making is that it's a cheap guitar and any mods that you could do to get the desired effect would not be worth doing. The take home message that you'd be better to spend the money on a better guitar, perhaps trading in that one. Alternatively, just live with the guitar for what it is, a perfectly fine, yet cheap, instrument.

Respectfully.
I'm not trying to negative or anything: but there is a Gear Building And Customization forum.
I don't really know if there's any simple fixes for this.
But, if you are willing to switch pickups try getting some Fender Noiseless pickups rather than try to tear your guitar apart and jam some humbuckers in.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
You just bought it? Take it back if you think its faulty. Otherwise it is such a common Strat problem that effective use of the searchbar should help you. It has more to do with bad design than the lower quality of the Squier.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Thanks for the Input.

I don't mind all the squire hate on this forum. But I paid very little for the guitar and I'm also into DIY mods on all of my toys. It makes me fall in love with the guitar when I frankenstine it into something more custom, with a cleaner sound, less buzz.

So any input on specific pickups or wiring for my squire would be very helpful.

Thanks
Is it a HSS or a SSS?
What kind of sound are you looking for?
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

Quote by Gigatiran
Is it a HSS or a SSS?
What kind of sound are you looking for?

It's SSS.

I'm not really looking for a specific sound, but just less buzz and or/hum when not playing anything. Basically how it sounds when the gain is pretty low.
You can look for something like this:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301632

There are variations, but this would probably work fairly well.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

Keep in mind that induced hum is directional in nature. So if you rotate your body thru a 360 deg Circle, some directions will yield less hum, and some more. Stay away from PCs & monitors as well.
Moving on.....
Quote by dippindivin
It's SSS.

I'm not really looking for a specific sound, but just less buzz and or/hum when not playing anything. Basically how it sounds when the gain is pretty low.

dont listen to the haters. they have no friggin clue.

shield your strat. it's cheap , simple and quiets up a guitar nicely.

you can also check that it's grounded properly,
that you are using a shielded guitar cable and like said,

that you turn off outside sources causing hum, like dimmer lights and computer monitors.

also using the 2 and 4 spot on the guitar will help, as will installing a humbucker or noiseless pup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Shield the guitar with copper tape, should remove a considerable amount of hum. You should find plenty of guides for it through the searchbar.

EDIT: What jj1565 said ^^^

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^^ jj1565

Do you remove your guitars pick guard and everything just to help us ( The UG COMMUNITY)
Thanks for the great posts. I'll try out the copper tape as well as some guides I found searching for shielding the strat.

Exactly the answers I was looking for. =)
Quote by Felttoaster
^^ jj1565

Do you remove your guitars pick guard and everything just to help us ( The UG COMMUNITY)

yes. yes i did.

LOL, just kidding. i bought a beater yamaha 112m for $50.

i took it apart to shield and swap the humbucker.

i took pics for the ug community.

take note that i ran a little extra foil out to the control cavity screw hole.

screwing thru it helps to ground it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Not bad at all! You could point out the copper tab you left on purpose for providing a good connection between the cavity shield and the pickgurad one! Some people may not pick up on it.
Moving on.....
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

seriously, squier strats aren't that great, get used to the buzz. I cant ever get rid of it on my brothers old one, other than putting the pickup switch to two or four, that helps a little.

I really dont see much point in even using them for mod guitars, i hate how the necks feel on most of them. its okay for a starting guitar, but id just get a better guitar when you have enough money.

not all squiers are bad though, just the strats

edit: try that thing with the copper someone suggested though, seems like it would help
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Mar 2, 2009,
haha i love that page. it goes into so much, then says your guitar still much buzz after.

i wish i was that good at soldering.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i had a hum when i first bought my squire and to make the buzzing go away i tightened the little bolt outside the jack plate and it disappeared. tighten it so it won't wiggle. you should also get som Tex Mex pickups they are amazing
humming is just inherent with single coil pickups. You can reduce the amount of electrical interference by shielding and grounding and getting high-quality cables, but you'll never completely banish it... it's just the cost of single coil tone. I've learned to simply live with SC hum.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
if you use the neck+middle PUP or middle+bridge PUP
its pretty much reduces the hum from little to none(atleast for me)