Page 1 of 3
can anybody name any metal bands with bassists that are actually good and dont get lost in the mix?

Necrophagist/Cannibal Corpse/Dream Theater/Symphony X/Iron Maiden and all that stuff. it seems like there are just so many that just play root notes and basically just refuse to exist in the band. Its also depressing how much you have really good bassists (Origin/Nile) but they are just mixed out/follow the guitar so closely you cant even hear them.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
steve harris you can hear all of the time in iron maiden, which is good. he's also the "main guy" of the band, everything goes through him.

cliff burton of metallica was pretty good in his time [for whom the bell tolls]

can't think of any more >.<

oh, the guy from black sabbath? thinking of the NIB intro solo
Quote by Blizk
Metallica, particularly Cliff Burton era.

Thats funny. Cliff was pretty much inaudiable in Metallica's music except for Pulling Teeth. Plus I think he must of had the worst tone of any bass player I've ever heard.

EDIT. For this thread TS, good metal bass players Peter Baltes, Dave Ellefson, D.D. Verni, ect.
Last edited by Sergeant Madd at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by Sergeant Madd
Thats funny. Cliff was pretty much inaudiable in Metallica's music except for Pulling Teeth. Plus I think he must of had the worst tone of any bass player I've ever heard.

yea i was just about to say that lmfao.

IMO i dont like him, and i never did.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Alex Webster for me
John Myung

I know you mentioned both bands but they're the best examples to me
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
yeah man its sucks when guitars obnoxiously ARE the only thing heard. Thats the thing with metal though. I'm an audio engineer and love metal. But as far a mixing; you have to look at it like you're a pop music mixer. To actually get the whole mix and sharing frequencies is the trick of the trade. As far as current bands go..........none except in the Nu Metal genre where you have 1 guitar.
Quote by jdF250
yeah man its sucks when guitars obnoxiously ARE the only thing heard. Thats the thing with metal though. I'm an audio engineer and love metal. But as far a mixing; you have to look at it like you're a pop music mixer. To actually get the whole mix and sharing frequencies is the trick of the trade. As far as current bands go..........none except in the Nu Metal genre where you have 1 guitar.

yea -_-

i mean an amazing example of bassists dissapearing is the guy form Origin. hes so god damn amazing, but the fact u cant hear him at all because he follows the guitars exactly just ruins it
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Opeth has awesome bass, Tool does as well. Check out Progressive music, always has amazing bass.
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Quote by Sergeant Madd
Thats funny. Cliff was pretty much inaudiable in Metallica's music except for Pulling Teeth.

Fail for not mentioning Orion
Protest The Hero, Arif is intense
and everyones favourite band, Behold ... The Arctopus.

OK, i was lying, I hate them. Plus is it actually bass? I cant remember the name of his instrument off the top of my head, and i dont want to.
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Quote by Ouch_needles
and everyones favourite band, Behold ... The Arctopus.

OK, i was lying, I hate them. Plus is it actually bass? I cant remember the name of his instrument off the top of my head, and i dont want to.

nahh its a Chapman Stick... i hate them so much. Theory-wise they are really good, musical-wise they are awful
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Quote by Ouch_needles

Intensely not metal or intensely following the guitars!!
(except for a few parts, which are an amazing few, in my opinion)

It is really intense though, I'm not going to hide my fanboyism
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Blizk
Fail for not mentioning Orion

O.K. a minute and a half of melodic bass in a 6 minute song doesn't warrent genius.
Cynic and Athiest spring to mind. Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse also has some pretty sick lines with Blotted Science.

Infectious grooves are pretty funky metal, with some damn good lines. Racer X has some insanely fast parts (e.g. Scarified). In a lot of doom metal like Electric Wizard, the bass fuzz completely dominates the mix.

Also, in some stuff, it may appear to be buried, but is clearer once you know what to listen for, like Cannibal Corpse. Cattle Decapitation also fall under this in quite a few parts.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Listen to gm jack, he knows everything about the Bass.
(Sig me, Faggot)
Infectious Grooves are awesome, Also, Opeth even thoguh its already been sad.
Quote by Sergeant Madd
O.K. a minute and a half of melodic bass in a 6 minute song doesn't warrent genius.

I'd say Burton was an unsung hero who had an excellent sense of melody and rhythm, combined with his knowledge of classical theory. He actually did his own bass arrangements based on Hetfield's rhythm guitar. In "Jump in the Fire" he plays in higher pitch than James at the end of every other bar to fill out melody gaps. The intro to "Damage, Inc." is several bass lines layered over each other.

Lars Ulrich has said Burton gave them new points of view to think about music through harmonies and melodies. Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning wouldn't have been that awesome without him. Too bad he's not heard much
Quote by COBHC_Erick429
nahh its a Chapman Stick... i hate them so much. Theory-wise they are really good, musical-wise they are awful

No, it's a Warr guitar.

Dan Briggs - Between the Buried and Me

Don't know his name. - HORSE the Band

Dave Ellefson - Megadeth

Justin Chancellor - Tool
Sharlee D'Angelo from Arch Enemy is pretty good, he doesnt always follow the guitar lines. Geezer Butler from Sabbath is good. Shavo from Sysyem of a Down is pretty awesome, and is pretty crazy live.
Steve Digiorgio of Sadus and many other bands is a good pick. As already said, Atheist, Blotted Science and Cynic. Spiral Architect has amazing bass. Any progressive metal bands generally have good bass.

I don't see how people don't like Behold... the Arctopus, I find their music is amazing.
How about the original Megadeth's bassist, he finger picked. Plus has anyone heard the intro to peace sells? Great bass intro.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
John Campbell of Lamb of God. His tone is buried sometimes on the albums, but live he cuts through like a hot knife through butter.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
How about that guy from Hooti and the Blowfish.

Just kidding, the bass player from Offspring was pretty good. Alot of thier stuff is kind of begginner but he had a flare and had a willingness to use it.
Quote by Sylvanus
Steve Digiorgio of Sadus and many other bands is a good pick. As already said, Atheist, Blotted Science and Cynic. Spiral Architect has amazing bass. Any progressive metal bands generally have good bass.

I don't see how people don't like Behold... the Arctopus, I find their music is amazing.

Because, I find them to be technical for the sake of technicality. It doesn't inspire anything for me.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
You might try listening to Sérgio Crestana, ex-bassist of Moonspell. His bass playing was very noticeable in their album "Darkness and Hope."

It's not all that amazing skill wise, but it does add a really nice flair to the music.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Last edited by Xeron Brigs at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by NKF176
Listen to gm jack, he knows everything about the Bass.
(Sig me, Faggot)
Infectious Grooves are awesome, Also, Opeth even thoguh its already been sad.

theres a spot between the cheeks that you missed

seriously could you kiss Jack's ass more?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by gm jack
Because, I find them to be technical for the sake of technicality. It doesn't inspire anything for me.

I can see where your coming from, and it's obvious that being technical is pretty much the main focus of their music but I find it's extremely interesting, and tense sounding music.

EDIT: ^I completely forgot about Greg Christian of Testament, he's got some good parts and is mixed really well, you can hear him easily, but the guitar is still more prominent.
Last edited by Sylvanus at Mar 2, 2009,
I was just about to mention Greg Christian (and still am lol). Aggressive fingerstyle bassist with quite a few good lines, you can always hear him too, especially in 'Practice What You Preach'.

Check out 'Leave Me Forever' from the new album 'Formation of Damnation', great tone and nice bassline.
signature
Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me will blow your mind.

blah blah blah Viridian blah blah blah

Steve DiGorgio? Plays a fretless most of the time, or so I hear. Alex Webster is another name that comes to mind for whatever reason.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Mar 2, 2009,
Any of Megadeth's stuff really.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Page 1 of 3