Just bought a new acoustic, and I need to get it set up. Problem is, I don't really understand the process fully, and don't know what to ask for.

If I bring it, will the guitar shop fix any fret buzz I have?

Also, what should I ask for when I get there? Just a set up, or do I need to go into detail about playstyle and such?
acoustics dont need much in terms of set up, it should be good to go when you got it. if you have fret buzz, you should have addressed that when you bought it.

regardless, you can make any changes like that on your own, its just the saddle height really, possible truss rod adjustement, but again if you have that many issues you should have addressed when you bought it

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
by "set up" do you mean tuned up?
if so you have some options:
buy a tuner
tune to a piano/keyboard
find an online guitar tuner
or yes, music store people are usually very friendly and will answer most basic questions about your new guitar
Quote by Tyler Durden
acoustics dont need much in terms of set up, it should be good to go when you got it. if you have fret buzz, you should have addressed that when you bought it.

regardless, you can make any changes like that on your own, its just the saddle height really, possible truss rod adjustement, but again if you have that many issues you should have addressed when you bought it

Its not alot of fret buzz, just a little bit on certain frets/strings. The guitar center does not do it because it is supposedly a one on one basis where the guitar can be set up in many different ways depending on style and such of the player.

I heard that most acoustics need a set up and that the manufacturer wont ship them already set up because that would slow down mass production.
Quote by driftwoodgibb
by "set up" do you mean tuned up?
if so you have some options:
buy a tuner
tune to a piano/keyboard
find an online guitar tuner
or yes, music store people are usually very friendly and will answer most basic questions about your new guitar

no...
he means set up, as in action and eliminating fret buzz, intonation problems.
Hmm every acoustic I've bought has been pretty set when I buoght it. I mean the reason I buy a guitar is because I like when I'm trying it out in a shop. If there was any fret buzz I wouldn't buy it... did you play this guitar before you bought it?
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
Quote by seanp182
Its not alot of fret buzz, just a little bit on certain frets/strings. The guitar center does not do it because it is supposedly a one on one basis where the guitar can be set up in many different ways depending on style and such of the player.

I heard that most acoustics need a set up and that the manufacturer wont ship them already set up because that would slow down mass production.

but do you think it needs set up? is it not easy to play? action too high, are there any major problems with it?
Quote by stephen_rettie
but do you think it needs set up? is it not easy to play? action too high, are there any major problems with it?

My problem is I'm not completely positive, I get fret buzz in certain positions so I assumed there was a problem. I looked it up and I see how there are alot of ways to fix it, but don't know if I should try it on my own before I bring it into the shop.

Other than these few buzzy positions (slight buzz might I add, just enough to annoy you though), the guitar is PERFECT. Very playable, blah blah.

What I'm trying to say is, that when I bought this guitar I wasn't quite aware of what to look for, I went in - talked to the dude and helped me choose. We put some new strings on it.. He played it a bit, I played it and didn't really notice a problem. When I got home I noticed the buzz, called up and asked if I could get it fixed for free under warranty and they said I'd need to pay as that isn't part of the sale.

I thought it was almost common to have fret buzz if you didn't have it set up afterward. (from what I read)
it's not really common, at least with all the guitars i've owned or any guitars my friends have owned. how long have you owned the guitar?
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
One day, they have a 30 day money back thing. Should I call up, ask for a repair from the actual guitar center I went to, and if they say no ask for a refund and purchase an instrument thats working properly?
is this your first guitar? if it is, it might just be the way your playing, i.e. not pressing hard enough or something. if you've been playing for a while then it's probbaly the guitar. It could be caused by a number of things, all of which are pretty easy to fix. If I were you I would try and find a small guitar shop and talk with the guys in there and buy a guitar from them. That's what I did when I started and that's what I still do now. they're usually extremely helpful and will help out with little repairs for little or nothing.
Quote by Eminored
Set up is rarely covered. It's not actually a "defect"

Acoustics do need tweaking from time to time. Humidity and just general changes as the wood ages sometimes causes the neck to do funny things.

Good news is, it probably won't cost much, and they should show you how to do it. Or if you want to tackle it on your own, its relatively easy and there are some good threads on here about it.

Its common to have fret buzz depending on the value of the guitar. A guitar at WalMart with a cartoon character on it will probably buzz; a $4000 Martin is probably going to be just fine. That's not saying there aren't high quality instruments out there for cheap, nor does it mean spending a fortune will guarantee no problems.

Fret buzz is an annoying habit of manufacturers. An action that is a little higher is not impossible to play. Buzzes and rattles make a good guitar sound like junk. Some manufacturers seem to think everyone wants a low action, which is probably true to a degree, but strings a little higher improves tone, volume, and makes slide playing easier. Its almost like they are lowering strings for speed but end up sacrificing the guitar. A little buzz ruins it.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Mar 2, 2009,
also, what kind of guitar is it? what did you pay for it etc...
Quote by Eminored
Its a Takamine EG440, bought it for $400.

Its not my first guitar, but it is my first acoustic. I've been playing electrics for a couple years.

I'd like to try adjusting the truss rod and stuff by myself but I don't wanna mess anything up in case I decide to exchange it/return it.
That guitar...Takamine is one of those brands I keep cursing for those reasons above...well, since you got some experience, you'll be fine to fix it yourself. Just go slow with the truss rod changes. Turn it a little and if that doesn't fix it wait a day before turning it further. But before you turn the truss rod, check the neck relief first. Put a capo on the first fret. Press the low E at the last fret. Measure the gap from the TOP of the fret to the BOTTOM of the string around fret 8. Should be a gap of about the thickness of a credit card for lead/fingerpicking, a little higher for slide or hard strumming. If the neck is where you want it, take all the strings off and put a small shim under the bridge. Toothpick should work.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Probably not a bad idea to check to see if any of the frets have worked loose or if one is too high. Not likely, Takamine is better than that, but it could happen...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Thanks miller.

I called GC and they said I gotta call back tomorrow to talk to the tech guy. The girl said its possible that I can either just bring it in for a repair or an exchange.

I guess the guy that I talked to last night wasn't exactly sure what I was talking about when I told him what was wrong, cause she seemed like it was no problem to bring it in.

Thanks for the feedback, worst thing that could happen is if I have to try the adjustments myself.

Oh and by the way, I did that test yesterday miller, to see the distance between the fret and string. I can't fit it under without forcing a tiny bit.
GC is pretty good about their 30 day satisfaction guarantee no questions asked. The last guitar I bought at GC was a MIM Strat while I was traveling through Georgia, I switched it for a MIM Telecaster in Texas a few days later. I completely forgot about that policy...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

there is no real setting up to do..if you have a fret buzz just get it fixed thats all really..
Music...Enough said.

Merci

Such is life.....
A set-up done by a luthier will make your guitar play tons better and cost 30.00-50.00. I highly recommend getting it done to your guitar. You will be amazed at the difference a few tweaks can make. Changing the saddle and end pins from plastic to bone will also make a huge difference.
Breedlove Atlas AC25/SR Plus
Breedlove Atlas Stage J350/EF
Yamaha F335
Alvarez Md 60
Gibson les paul
Fender twin reverb
Genz Benz 150LT.
Egnater Rebel 30 1 x 12
Quote by seanp182
Just bought a new acoustic, and I need to get it set up. Problem is, I don't really understand the process fully, and don't know what to ask for.

If I bring it, will the guitar shop fix any fret buzz I have?

Also, what should I ask for when I get there? Just a set up, or do I need to go into detail about playstyle and such?

Here's a couple of useful links - they put me right! - Also there is a topic somewhere in these forums that I've read from an ex-Takamine Luthier. He advised removing ALL but the thickest shim from under the bridge, (apparently ALL Taks are shipped with a full compliment!).

My Takamine has been transformed.

Just need a set of decent strings when next in the USA.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=98002

http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

Dave the Rave - "You can't sack me! - I'm Sack-less!"

Yamaha FGX412
Takamine CEB
Roland Cube
Korg Tuner CA-30
Couple of 1960's Echo Super Vampers mouth harps.
(. . . plus a cheap Rogue black Dread'nt 6 String and a black Mandolin in USA)
I found the thread with the advice from the Takamine Luthier;

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698091&highlight=iraq

It was from member Joey45 - Good advice!

Dave the Rave - "You can't sack me! - I'm Sack-less!"

Yamaha FGX412
Takamine CEB
Roland Cube
Korg Tuner CA-30
Couple of 1960's Echo Super Vampers mouth harps.
(. . . plus a cheap Rogue black Dread'nt 6 String and a black Mandolin in USA)
A lot of luthiers or guitar techs are happy to show you what they do. If you're the handy type it could be useful to try and hang around for the first couple of set ups you do. It takes a lot of the mystery out of it.

Having seen it done, I still don't think I'd reset a neck on acoustic. Bridges and trusses sure, but somethings are just best to leave to a pro.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
I agree with the Luthiers, however; most people do not have a luthier in their back pocket so it is wise to learn this very simple steps to setting up any guitar, acoustic, or electric. It only takes patience. It is a matter of Geometry and the Thickness / Gauge of the strings you are using depending on style and or the length of experience you have playing and how hard you may need to strike the right hand. On classicals they need little attention, if they are not correct from the Contruction they are not correct. My Takamine Hirade 5 which I purchased in 1977 is still good on pitch open, harmonic at 12th and depressed at the 12th. The tone and not changed much and still has great volume even when I choosen normal tension strings.
Even though you have your solution- general string set up heights are measured from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret at the 12th fret.
Use this link to learn more about set up. It is easy and intonation is east to adjust on electric guitars.

http://www.homerecordingconnection....w_story&id=1424

Witchdoctor
Quote by Witchdoctor
I agree with the Luthiers, however; most people do not have a luthier in their back pocket so it is wise to learn this very simple steps to setting up any guitar, acoustic, or electric. It only takes patience. It is a matter of Geometry and the Thickness / Gauge of the strings you are using depending on style and or the length of experience you have playing and how hard you may need to strike the right hand. On classicals they need little attention, if they are not correct from the Contruction they are not correct. My Takamine Hirade 5 which I purchased in 1977 is still good on pitch open, harmonic at 12th and depressed at the 12th. The tone and not changed much and still has great volume even when I choosen normal tension strings.
Even though you have your solution- general string set up heights are measured from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret at the 12th fret.
Use this link to learn more about set up. It is easy and intonation is east to adjust on electric guitars.

http://www.homerecordingconnection....w_story&id=1424

Witchdoctor

link doesn't work and I'd like to check it out if you can re-post.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES