Page 1 of 2

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000whitegoldhw.html

My brother has been looking for a nice Les Paul and I thought that this would fit the bill. TBH I have no expierience with Les Pauls - I find them too heavy and cumbersome to play - but my brother is into them and hopes that he could use this to get an approximate sound of:

>Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver (Slash)
>Buckethead

He plays through a Peavey Royal 8 with an EHX Metal Muff (I know that this is far from ideal, so can you please not suggest he save for a Vintage Modern or something).

If you have any better suggestions at around the same price (Americans add about $70 for P&P as we're in the UK) then suggest away.

Cheers Guys
agile are great guitars. i have several of Rondo's guitars, for the price, hell, for damn near any price, you won't find a better guitar. the AL3000 line rivals LP standards, and blows the hell out of studios. that 2000 one will serve you guys well
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
I don't really know about the brand. Looks great though. Maybe try checking out Epiphone: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=&CollectionID=6
or ESP ltd: http://espguitars.com/guitars_ec.html
I understand that price is important here, but if you buy a guitar that cannot be set up properly, you won't have the ambition to learn on it. I would go for a more brand name guitar just because they have a reputation to uphold and therefore go the extra mile. Happy Guitar Hunting!!!

P.S. My LP Studio plays and sounds better than anything i've played or heard before
Last edited by dimarzio77 at Mar 2, 2009,
i've heard 'stagg' do some pretty good low-end/starter guitars. never played onem yself but they do a white les paul with gold rim and hardware (similar to kelly jones's from stereophonics gibson LP) and it looks sexy!

there's GAK (UK website) stagg collection.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=&m=Stagg&c=Electric+Guitars&r=%A3100+-+%A3200&x=35&y=3

i reccomend you search that website thoroughly before making any final desicions.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Mar 2, 2009,
What is your budget?
Genres of music he plays too would be good to know for definate!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Well, in England (or Europe in general), Vintage is a good choice. Look at the V-100.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/search/index/?keyword=vintage+v100&search_button=
The 'Lemon Drop' model is my favourite one of them, the neck on it is slim and very comfortable. The worn finish isn't for everyone though.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/20028-vintage-v100-icon-series-lemon-drop-peter-green-inspired-.html

Soundwise they're pretty nice, they work just fine for classic rock and lower gain stuff and should work for more agressive styles if he uses the metal muff.
Cheers guys. He's really looking for the best quality guitar he can get for under £250. I have experience setting up and wiring guitars, so he will be gradually upgrading it with my guidance. So new pickups, tuners or even bridges maybe a possibility in the future. I (he) needs something that can grow with him.
Quote by Dempsey68
i've heard 'stagg' do some pretty good low-end/starter guitars. never played onem yself but they do a white les paul with gold rim and hardware (similar to kelly jones's from stereophonics gibson LP) and it looks sexy!

there's GAK (UK website) stagg collection.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=&m=Stagg&c=Electric+Guitars&r=%A3100+-+%A3200&x=35&y=3

i reccomend you search that website thoroughly before making any final desicions.

i had a stagg les paul once
utter crap
it sounded bad,played bad felt bad
it was just a pile of poop
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
You can't go wrong with the Agile, it's a whole lotta guitar for the money.
Have it prefessionally set up once you get it and you'll be very happy with it
agiles are excellent quality guitars, i have the 2000 with floyd and it plays smoother than anything and sounds like a dream. I personally am going to replace the pickups with Jazz/59 SD's because i like higher output, but honestly it doesnt really need it.
~Defiant~
Agiles are certainly a respectable choice.

But good Christ it is atrocious with the cream parts on a white finish.
I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard off of ebay for $350 witha hardshell case and Kluson vintage tuners. It only has a few scratches. I would look on ebay
^He played some Epis, I played some Epis, neither of us liked them much. Thanks for the input though.

Quote by Flying Couch
Agiles are certainly a respectable choice.

But good Christ it is atrocious with the cream parts on a white finish.

Lol, believe me I agree. But what he likes is what he likes I suppose. I htink I'm going to force him to get new tone/volume knobs if he does get it.
Agiles are well worth the money. I have the AL-2800 baritone and its quickly becoming my favorite guitar. I'm looking to buy another one (not a baritone this time though )
So the general consensus is that Agile stay in tune well, have decent playability, decent enough pickups to be going along with? Like I said, the stuff taht's upgradable isn't as much of an issue, but the stuff that isn't (like action fit and finish) needs to be good/decent.

Cheers for the responses!
I have an AL 2000 and I was so impressed with it I ordered the AL 3000 gold top with p-90s... I will let you know about this one when I get it.. my "guitar guy" looked at the specs and was very impressed and he can't wait for me to get it so he can set it up and see how it is.

just my .02 worth... and btw.. I can't play for ****... I just bought it so when I CAN... I will be set.

AL
Quote by MSG_AL
I ordered the AL 3000 gold top with p-90s... I will let you know about this one when I get it.. my "guitar guy" looked at the specs and was very impressed and he can't wait for me to get it so he can set it up and see how it is.

just my .02 worth... and btw.. I can't play for ****... I just bought it so when I CAN... I will be set.

AL

Not to spam up Lee's thread, but what did the goldtop with P-90's cost you? If you don't mind me asking?

Also Lee I have that Ibanez ARC300 with SD gates in it, love that thing but the new ones have actives. F'in Ibanez's catering to the br00talz crowd I guess.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Unfortunatley those Ibanez's, however nice, are outside my brother's price range. Thanks for the responses though Greg and QM. And you called me Lee, awesome

That brings the tally up to 2
Quote by bartdevil_metal
So the general consensus is that Agile stay in tune well, have decent playability, decent enough pickups to be going along with? Like I said, the stuff taht's upgradable isn't as much of an issue, but the stuff that isn't (like action fit and finish) needs to be good/decent.

Cheers for the responses!

indeed. stop hesitating and order it already
Quote by bartdevil_metal

If you have any better suggestions at around the same price (Americans add about $70 for P&P as we're in the UK) then suggest away.

Cheers Guys
Then there will be the £130+ import and VAT duties you have to pay getting it through customs.

I'm not kidding.

For anyone in the UK, buying an Agile is more expensive than buying an Epiphone. There is absolutely no point doing it.

For the UK, you've got three major choices if you don't want an Epiphone:
  • Vintage, who are the European equivalent of Agile. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I am right in saying they are even made in the same factory as Agiles. You're looking at 2004 Epiphone quality (i.e. good, better than current Epis), at less cost. Great choice.
  • Rally, who are basically the same deal but harder to find. The trade-off for the hard time you'll have finding one is Rally guitars tend to look prettier. Yup, that's it.
  • Tokai. They can be expensive, but some stores price them fairly. Generally better quality than Vintage/Agile/Rally/Epi, though it can be hard to find anywhere that sells them at a reasonable price since they're getting such a good reputation. Great if you're lucky enough to live near a store that carries them cheap.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ +1 on that (though i haven't tried rally)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not surprised, it seems very few people even know Rally exist. Hell I didn't know they existed until I went to a store intending to try out a couple of Vintage guitars, and the Rallys were just sitting behind them.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
oh i've heard of them ok, just never been in a shop which stocked them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can't go wrong with Agile Lp's even the lower end ones blow out the Epi standards, and the higher end ones rival the the Gibson's.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by jcboomer
You can't go wrong with Agile Lp's even the lower end ones blow out the Epi standards, and the higher end ones rival the the Gibson's.

Agreed. I took my Agile over to band practice (I'm currently playing bass in)...and the guitarist has an Epi LP Custom and a Gibson LP Studio, and was pissed when he found out how much I paid for mine.
its about time flibble came in to save the day. He's right, Agiles are super cheap if you buy them in north america, but for overseas it gets expensive, I've heard about all the duties and things you have to go through, luckily for me I live in canada and I only pay S&H.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
its about time flibble came in to save the day. He's right, Agiles are super cheap if you buy them in north america, but for overseas it gets expensive, I've heard about all the duties and things you have to go through, luckily for me I live in canada and I only pay S&H.
It really is stupid what we in this country have to pay out, especially when you consider how VAT was ever justified in the first place. By definition we shouldn't be paying VAT on something that was provided by another country, but nope, we still get charged it anyway. That's an extra 15% added to the cost right there.

Then our import charges are through the roof. Customs charge a minimum £22 handling fee just for the package entering the country when it's something the size of a guitar. You then have to pay a second handling fee which is a minimum of £27 plus standard courier charges to have the item sent to you - and even if you go to the depot to pick it up yourself, you still have to pay the £27 base 'postage' fee (when it's not posted!).

Then certain other items get their own extra charges, especially if coming from outside of Europe.

I can not stress enough how stupid it is for anyone within the UK to import a guitar. No matter how cheap that guitar seems on an online American shop, the extra charges will always make it more expensive than buying another equivalent guitar in a physical store in this country.
Fair enough, I had no idea that it was that expensive. I suppose I shall have to start looking into Vintage or Rally, as Tokai round here seems to be priced with the misconception that they are actually rebranded Gibsons

Thanks for the clarification MrFibble.

EDIT: Also, wtf? Quarter to 4 in the morning?!
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, in England (or Europe in general), Vintage is a good choice. Look at the V-100.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/search/index/?keyword=vintage+v100&search_button=
The 'Lemon Drop' model is my favourite one of them, the neck on it is slim and very comfortable. The worn finish isn't for everyone though.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/20028-vintage-v100-icon-series-lemon-drop-peter-green-inspired-.html

Soundwise they're pretty nice, they work just fine for classic rock and lower gain stuff and should work for more agressive styles if he uses the metal muff.

Totally agree. I just got a Vintage V100 Icon in distressed cherry sunburst. At first I am not an "LP" guy and prefer SGs or Stratos. But I wanted to try something new and spent some time staring at various guitars... then I decided to try the Epi LP standard (400&euro. It was ok in a Fender amp and I liked it.

But these people also had a collection of Vintage guitars: LP, Strat, Tele styles... Then just after the Epi I tried the V100 LP and that was different!!! not only the "faded", worn, raw finish but those humbuckers rocked much more than the Epis with the same settings. So I didn't think too much and chose the Vintage. And it was only 350€!

I think Epis are overpriced and overrated, older korean-made Epis were much better than the new chineses. I inspected that Epi Lp and it had a lot of scratches on the bottom (were you rest the guitar on your leg)... but those scratches were UNDER the lacquer!!! too bad Epi. I really miss my korean Epi G400 Vintage (2004).

So I got this Vintage that is very nice indeed. Might also be made in china or korea, but it is marketed from UK sellers and looks much more as a **guitar**. New Epis look like toys, what a shame.

Of course it won't compete with any Gibson, but for the price it is great. I was also checking some Tokais but the korean series were almost 500€.

The only differences I see are the lower "horn" (more "sharp pointed" than the standard LP shape) and headstock. But still my V100's headstock looks much more like a Gibson's, while Epi's do not at all.
Quote by MrFlibble

I can not stress enough how stupid it is for anyone within the UK to import a guitar. No matter how cheap that guitar seems on an online American shop, the extra charges will always make it more expensive than buying another equivalent guitar in a physical store in this country.

actually, sometimes it still works out a lot cheaper. but you're right, a lot of people forget about the hidden charges.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
actually, sometimes it still works out a lot cheaper. but you're right, a lot of people forget about the hidden charges.
I've never known an instance where it would do, at least not shipping direct. I suppose you could have a lot of expenses written off if it was marked as a gift (good luck getting any store to do that) or if you got some other regular person to buy it for you in America and then ship it to you. But directly importing from a store will always rack up the expenses.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
Fair enough, I had no idea that it was that expensive. I suppose I shall have to start looking into Vintage or Rally, as Tokai round here seems to be priced with the misconception that they are actually rebranded Gibsons

Thanks for the clarification MrFibble.

EDIT: Also, wtf? Quarter to 4 in the morning?!
Well, some Tokais are as good as Gibson. They even have their own 'custom shop' spec'd models that are always going to cost into the thousands. Most of the regular models though shouldn't cost that much.

And yeah, I sleep at really weird times. Self employed photographer, I'm always all over the place.
So are those SX guitars over at Rondo any good, or are there better cheapo supestrat alternatives.
Gear:
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
ESP EC-400
TS-9 DX
Stagg Strat-a-like
MIJ Boss CE-2
Quote by MrFlibble
(a) I've never known an instance where it would do, at least not shipping direct. I suppose you could have a lot of expenses written off if it was marked as a gift (good luck getting any store to do that) or if you got some other regular person to buy it for you in America and then ship it to you. But directly importing from a store will always rack up the expenses.

(b) Well, some Tokais are as good as Gibson. They even have their own 'custom shop' spec'd models that are always going to cost into the thousands. Most of the regular models though shouldn't cost that much.

(a) depends on what you're talking about, really. If you could find someone in the USA willing to ship you a mesa, you could easily import one for less than the UK prices- a dual recto is about $1500 there, and it's like £1700 here. even factor in a step-down transformer and you're well ahead. Especially at the old exchange rates, where one pound bought two dollars.

or, i remember a while back, again when the exchange rate was good, you could have imported a caparison horus from japan, including postage and customs, for about £800-£900. Guitar Guitar was selling them for ~£1500.

So it can be done. But you're right, not in every case. Maybe it's just the stuff I'm looking at, lol.

(b) definitely. You can't just say the blanket statement, though, as both tokai and gibson (as you've rightly said) have a range of models with a range of specs. i've certainly tried tokais which, in my subjective opinion, were "better" than gibsons, certainly at the same (or similar) price points.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Fired_Scape
So are those SX guitars over at Rondo any good, or are there better cheapo supestrat alternatives.

I'd rather have a Yamaha Pacifica 112, but then, an SX is cheaper. Rember that with gear, you don't necessarily get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for. You already have a nice guitar, I guess it wouldn't kill you to wait a little and save up for something better than an SX.
ok, i'm confused. I think i know what you mean... but i'm not sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
"Rember that with gear, you don't necessarily get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for."

i meant that bit- especially the "you never get what you don't pay for" bit.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2