Page 1 of 4
I've usually been a strictly hard liquor guy at parties and such, but I'd like to get into beer more to ease into the drunken state at parties. So far all I've tasted are the party common beers (Bud, bud light, coors light, miller lite, etc.) and those all tasted like nasty piss water. I've also had Blue Moon, though that tasted a little too doughy for me.

So what does UG recommend me to try? I'm considering getting some Newcastle Brown Ale for an upcoming party.
maybe she was hiding because she wanted to be found.
Anything in a can and cold. In Canada and the US if you're looking for a good tasting beer, you'll need to buy something imported. Just get bud tall cans and refridgerate them til they're super cold, then drink them. It's so much easier to drink when it's cold.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
Quote by rock_star77
Anything in a can and cold. In Canada and the US if you're looking for a good tasting beer, you'll need to buy something imported. Just get bud tall cans and refridgerate them til they're super cold, then drink them. It's so much easier to drink when it's cold.

Cooolllddd Buuudddd

Any beer = win.

DirtyEdit: ok, except genuine old man piss or an old leftover with some cigarette butts in it.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Mar 2, 2009,
Have you tried Cider? That's always a good alternative to beer.
keystone light. good & cheap
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Leni
Have you tried Cider? That's always a good alternative to beer.

I haven't, though I've been interested in it.

BTW, I should also mention that I live in Kentucky in the United States.

Are there any good ciders made in the US?

EDIT.
okay...if you read the post, I already tried all of the cheap **** beer. Please don't recommend that.
maybe she was hiding because she wanted to be found.
Last edited by LimitTheWords at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by LimitTheWords
I've usually been a strictly hard liquor guy at parties and such, but I'd like to get into beer more to ease into the drunken state at parties. So far all I've tasted are the party common beers (Bud, bud light, coors light, miller lite, etc.) and those all tasted like nasty piss water. I've also had Blue Moon, though that tasted a little too doughy for me.

So what does UG recommend me to try? I'm considering getting some Newcastle Brown Ale for an upcoming party.
They tasted like nasty piss water because they are nasty piss water.

Peruse the Ale section and choose stuff with the weirdest names.

P.S. dark ales ftw.
Quote by LimitTheWords

The only cider I've found in the U.S. is Strongbow. It's pretty good but it's no Magners.

If you're looking for good beer I suggest Yuengling or Heinekin. Anything not brewed in the U.S. is good. Well except for Corona....
Quote by freedoms_stain
They tasted like nasty piss water because they are nasty piss water.

Peruse the Ale section and choose stuff with the weirdest names.

P.S. dark ales ftw.

I'm going to go ahead and +1 here. Especially the "weirdest names" part.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I like to go for bottled beer, that's cold.

Some of my favorites are Stella Artois, Heineken, Steinlarger and Macs.
Maybe some of those are just more popular in New Zealand... but they're all bloody marvelous!
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by rock_star77
Anything in a can and cold. In Canada and the US if you're looking for a good tasting beer, you'll need to buy something imported.

Sam? Harpoon? Magic Hat? BBC? Dogfish Head?
Just because Bud and Labbat are crap doesn't mean you can't find some good craft- and microbrews on this continent of ours. I drink almost exclusively domestic, even when I'm drinking tastybeer.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Last edited by iforgot539 at Mar 2, 2009,
Guiness is my fav.

Try Fat Tire (amber ale). You might like this one. There are many types of beers such as porters, ales, wheat, pilsners etc.. You sound like you are more of a person of these types rather than a domestic beer type. Try experimenting, you'll find some great tasting beers.
Go to a pub, like an English style pub, they typically have so many different beers, and try them all over time.
Whatever happened to sweet Jane?
Quote by rock_star77

Speak for your self Yankee.

In Canada we've got amazing beer.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
belgian beer

it's fooking awesome
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by SwiftKickSix
Guiness is my fav.

Try Fat Tire (amber ale). You might like this one. There are many types of beers such as porters, ales, wheat, pilsners etc.. You sound like you are more of a person of these types rather than a domestic beer type. Try experimenting, you'll find some great tasting beers.

Guiness is amazing, Summer Ale is like drinking beer crossed with gingerbeer!
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Coors Lite

Or, if it's available in your area: Alaskan Amber. <- Hands down, the best beer I've tasted thus far.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by DZCunuck
Speak for your self Yankee.

In Canada we've got amazing beer.

Are you dumb or do you just speak the language?

I LIVE IN CANADA, and also, our beer isn't that great. The best stuff I can think of is Keith's.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
One word: Bitter.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
Quote by LimitTheWords

EDIT.
okay...if you read the post, I already tried all of the cheap **** beer. Please don't recommend that.

Woodchuck is made in the US and you can get strongbow on import, try Whole Foods, or a bigger liquor store.

Also since you live fairly close to Louisville you should be able to get BBC beer, all of their stuff is good (except IMO the Pale Ale)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by rock_star77
Are you dumb or do you just speak the language?

I LIVE IN CANADA, and also, our beer isn't that great. The best stuff I can think of is Keith's.

have you tried James Ready? I lived off that stuff last Summer
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
carlsberg export!!!!

either this or buckfast (not beer i know but....)
buckfast gets you ****ed fast :P
brewed by monks drank by punks!
I dont know if they have Jupiler in the USA, but if they do you should try it. Its the best
Sounds like UG would make good drinking buddies with all the Guinness fans.
mmmmm Guinness.
Quote by Random88
have you tried James Ready? I lived off that stuff last Summer

Yeah its not my thing. I think it's too bitter. Just me though. My friends love it.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
Quote by DoTheEvolution
Guinness is the best.
Newcastle isn't too bad either.

+999999999999999999999999999999

TS I guarantee you'll like Guinness.
Quote by shredmeiser101
keystone light. good & cheap

wow. that's not beer man, its watered down beer.

Try Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or some Dark beer if you're man enough.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Last edited by aetherspear at Mar 2, 2009,
Corona or Heineken are pretty good "first beers."

A lot of people I know like ciders and that might be a good bridge between things.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Quote by Filter

I know a ton of people who hate Guinness, it's definitely worth trying, but also definitely not for everyone
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Filter

I know a lot of people who do not like Guinness.
But most of them like Coors....ack

This bar I go to has this sampler of three beers with a shot of espresso vodka, I don't remember the beers, I think one was Dragon's Milk, and they all taste so might fine, and get you really ****ed up.
Quote by Sorrowsson
Belgian beer IS the best. I have to admit it, and I'm dutch

You are my new sextoy
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Stella Artois for a lager. Or maybe San Miguel. If you can get cider over there, something a bit more upmarket would be Bulmers or Magners, however there is Strongbow if you fancy sitting in a field and getting wasted. Ah, good times.
Not shure what's available in the US, but if you're looking for lager that doesn't taste like toilet water from a chemical factory (Bud, I'm looking directly at you) have a look for Leffe, Hoegarten, Staropamen, Stella Artois, pretty much any European lager, as long as it's not from the UK, people here seem to think Carling is meant for human consumption, French beer isn't much better than British either, in my oppinion.

If you're looking for actual beer try Brains SA Gold, may be biased because I'm Welsh but it's an awesome normal strength beer. Guiness is great if you like stout, there are other ones, but the one's I've tried have been from small brewaries so I doubt you'd be able to find them. I'm not a fan of Newcastle Brown, however a lot of people like it so it's worth a try.

As for cider Strongbow is ok, bit generic but shouldn't be hard to find, Blackthorn is very, very dry if that's what you're into and the less said about white cider the better. If you can though try and find Westones or Brothers, dunno how much luck you will have though, their not always easy to find in the UK.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Mar 2, 2009,
Over the summer I drank a lot. Five days a week we were making a trip to the liquor store. I've tried all of them. The best beer for a party is Bud Light. It is sweet, full flavored, easy to drink, and about $25 for a 30 rack. If you are drinking with a couple of friends and don't mind putting out a little more money go with beers like Sam Adams, Guiness, any Special micro-brewery beers local to your area could also be good finds. Generally with alcohol you get what you pay for. Stay away from Natural Ice, and Keystone light unless you want to get seriously sick. They have higher alcohol levels, so you will start to put them back like Bud Light and find that you are hammered, then wake up the next morning ill. A decent tall, malt beer is Steel Reserve. Drink two 24 oz cans of those and you will have a bit more than a good buzz.

Other things to look into would be high quality wine, scotch, or bourbon.
Last edited by freshtunes at Mar 2, 2009,
Page 1 of 4