hey guys ive been playing for 2 years and still cant even play a full song. A few riffs and parts but not a full song. I like metal and rock a lot so i mostly play that. How long should i practice a day to get better and what should i practice scales, chords, ect.
Are you trying to play stuff like cliffs of dover or master of puppets? You should be able to play 1 song as long as you pick a beginner song, it doesn't have to be a musical masterpiece.
well first ill practice stuuf like simple power cord minor pentonics and string bends then ill usually try a song. Some stuff im tring to learn i like enter sandman, in your face and fade to black but it doesnt sound very good.
Quote by Alexicob
hey guys ive been playing for 2 years and still cant even play a full song.

Quote by Alexicob
How long should i practice a day to get better

The more you practice, the faster you will get better. Try to practice for at least half an hour a day. If you have lots of free time, practice lots.

Quote by Alexicob
what should i practice scales, chords, ect.

Yes, you should practice both those things - they'll improve your playing in general. When it comes to songs... I didn't learn a song all the way through for about six months, when I did, what worked was getting TuxGuitar (http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/ Simlar to GuitarPro) and playing along with that starting from a very low tempo, and then slowly increasing. It took me about 2 weeks to learn the song at full speed that way (with alot of practice each day).

EDIT: Also, if you want to choose a song to learn all the way through, don't choose something with a hard solo or a section that will be very, very difficult for you to get right at this stage. Start with something a bit easier.

Another thing that really helped me was writing down a specific routine for practice, for example, 5 minutes warm up and exercises, 15 minutes practicing scales (learn the shapes, not just specific scales. I used this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_2_scales_-_diatonic_scales_in_practice.html), 15 minutes practicing chords (learning new chords, practicing changes, and so on) and then working on learning songs.

Obviously if you only have a short time to practice in, you might have to spend less time on those things.

The biggest thing is just to keep practicing, and practice as much as possible, and also very importantly, to keep focused on whatever it is you're doing for practice.

Hope it helps.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
Last edited by troubletcat at Mar 3, 2009,
Hey, just some advice if your willing to do covers of certain songs.
Try to break down the songs ex. learn it part by part
When it comes to solos do the same.
Never rush.
Also you may want to try to perfect and master easier songs before moving to harder ones ^^
Hope that helps
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2