Quote by sticky
You should let your valves heat up for at least a minute before switching the amp fully on. To do this you switch it on to ?on standby?, and wait. Then switch it ?on?. Off --> On standby --> On.

My 5150 combo is weird in that it works backwards. My power button heats up the tubes but won't amplify the sound. Then when my standby switch is turned on, it makes sound.

Quote by peavey manual
Standby Switch (15)
This switch allows the 6505 to be placed in a non-operational standby mode. When the standby switch
is activated, the tubes remain hot and ready for instantaneous operation, eliminating warm-up time.
The STANDBY LED indicator light will illuminate when the amp is in the operational mode.
Power Switch (16)
This switch supplies power to the unit. Depressed to the “on” position, the POWER LED indicator light
will illuminate, indicating power is being supplied to the unit.

My standby switch doesn't light up unless the power switch is already on.

Is this normal, because it doesn't sound like it.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
no, that sounds right to me. your power switch provides power for the amp, so nothing will turn on unless it is on. when your standby is off, your tubes are warming up and wont make a sound. when the standby light turns on, you can play. its basically how all tube amps w/ standby work.
O yeah, that makes more sense now.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Power turns your amp on and off. It's called power because it basically cuts power to your amp on or off. If there is no power going to the amp, how is the standby switch going to light up? You do know how lights work right?

Standby puts your amp in standby mode where the high voltage B+ line that essentially powers the amp is blocked, but the power going to heaters is on allowing the tubes to heat up without putting a high voltage on them.

Sorry for sounding like a condescending ass hole. But seriously, this is ridiculous...
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 2, 2009,
But I figured when the Standby is on, shouldn't the tubes be heating up, not when standby is off? It's just the stick says the opposite of how mine works.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
But I figured when the Standby is on, shouldn't the tubes be heating up, not when standby is off? It's just the stick says the opposite of how mine works.

No he doesn't.

He says turn power from "off" to "on" with the amp on standby and the from "standby" to "on."

From my previous post...

Standby puts your amp in standby mode where the high voltage B+ line that essentially powers the amp is blocked, but the power going to heaters is on allowing the tubes to heat up without putting a high voltage on them.