Poll: How long should a song be?
Poll Options
View poll results: How long should a song be?
4 mins max
1 6%
6 mins max
3 19%
8 mins max
0 0%
keep taping as long as the band is feeling it!
12 75%
Voters: 16.
Any of you players here enjoy recording long tracks?

or..

Do you have a limit that feels like the song drags on if extended past?
(ballpark figure...ex. 7 mins)
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Depends on what Genre you're playing. Rock songs typically last for around 2-4 mins, while Jazz can keep going after 10 mins!
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Any of you players here enjoy recording long tracks?

or..

Do you have a limit that feels like the song drags on if extended past?
(ballpark figure...ex. 7 mins)

it really depends on the situation. to answer the question in the thread title, I would say the song should go for as long as the composer wants it to. Of course that composer would be considering what is appropriate for the situation.
If it's good it's good, regardless of length.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
One word.... Opeth...

Thats TOOO long. After 6~ minutes I lose interest, unless its very polymelodic, like Revelation by Symphony X or A Little Piece of Heaven by A7X

Please use tags for tabs....
it depends. songs like machine gun, 1983 (a merman i should turn to be) and voodoo chile from jimi hendrix go on from like 12 mins to 15 mins. but he keeps things interesting enough that it doesnt seem that long.

if it sounds like the song needs more time, then do it. but if you do it for the sake of doing it, then it can get boring. like i love cream. but some of their live songs could go on a little too long. but other times its just right.
Listening to prog definitely stretches your musical attention span, so now 9 minutes is about average for me. I frequently listen to The Herb Garden by Hallucinogen, which clocks in at about 14 minutes, so I have a tolerance/enjoyment for really long pieces.
a change of seasons by dream theater is 24 minutes and is my 5th most played song.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
The Games We Played is like 21 minutes, and I can listen to it many times in a row before I even realize I have it on repeat....

It depends on the people.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)