I've been experimenting with different patterns for 3 fingers. I tried the most common patterns and I can't play any faster with 3 fingers than I can with two. But today I stumbled upon a new pattern that lets me go a little faster than I can with two. It goes 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 3, 1, 2.

So should I stick with this four finger pattern of mine, or will four fingers limit my speed compared to three in the long run?
Well if it works well for you then yes do use it, personnall i dont see how its any faster than 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2, your moving your fingers further to achive the same thing. But of course if you hitting with the 1st and sort of flicking across with the 2,3,4 it might be faster.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Well if it works well for you then yes do use it, personnall i dont see how its any faster than 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2, your moving your fingers further to achive the same thing. But of course if you hitting with the 1st and sort of flicking across with the 2,3,4 it might be faster.

I think what limits my speed with two fingers is the time it takes for my finger to return to its original position after hitting the string. That slowness might be caused by some tension in my arm. But eh, more fingers seems an easier solution.
I've never mastered more than 3 fingers in standard, 32123. Especially when going up and down of the strings. When i hit the strings i pull my fingers up as i hit them so i just am in a cycle.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I think you'd be better off playing with 3 unless you can get your pinky a lot stronger. I don't think your way will be that much faster because your index is still doing the same amount of work as you would be doing with 2.
Quote by Sylvanus
I don't think your way will be that much faster because your index is still doing the same amount of work as you would be doing with 2.

This is truth.

Unless you do 321321321 or 432143214321 picking, 2 is just as efficient, as at least one finger will be doing the same amount of work.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
This is truth.

Unless you do 321321321 or 432143214321 picking, 2 is just as efficient, as at least one finger will be doing the same amount of work.

+1

I never really understood the point of 32123, since your speed would be restricted by your middle finger's return time.

The OPs pattern would have the same problem, I think it would be better to go with gm jack's patterns there and working on making them even.
Quote by Sylvanus
I think you'd be better off playing with 3 unless you can get your pinky a lot stronger. I don't think your way will be that much faster because your index is still doing the same amount of work as you would be doing with 2.

I understand what you mean. But I think my index can go faster than my middle. My middle finger is slow to get back to position, so by distributing the work load over more fingers I'm working around my middle fingers delay.

You see, with 32123, the stress goes on the middle. So if the middle is the slowest it's pointless. But with my 1213141312, the stress goes on my index which is my fastest finger. So it kinda works for me.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by BrickIsRed
I understand what you mean. But I think my index can go faster than my middle. My middle finger is slow to get back to position, so by distributing the work load over more fingers I'm working around my middle fingers delay.

To be honest, I have the same problem, my index is faster than my middle and ring. Remember that your middle finger can improve, you just have to use it more (too bad flipping it at people doesn't count as improving it, otherwise mine would be like lightning).
Quote by BrickIsRed

You see, with 32123, the stress goes on the middle. So if the middle is the slowest it's pointless. But with my 1213141312, the stress goes on my index which is my fastest finger. So it kinda works for me.

But why stress any of your fingers in particular when you could work on a fluid 321321 or 43214321 technique?
Quote by BrickIsRed

If you really feel that way then why not just do 12131213 and save yourself the trouble of training your pinky? Even better yet why not 321321 or 123123?
Quote by Jateca
But why stress any of your fingers in particular when you could work on a fluid 321321 or 43214321 technique?

Quote by Zycho
If you really feel that way then why not just do 12131213 and save yourself the trouble of training your pinky? Even better yet why not 321321 or 123123?

I've been using those patterns, but can't go any faster with them than I can with two. As for 3 fingers versus 4 fingers, with 3 fingers sometimes I get confused with 4/4 timing and mess up the pattern. With 4 fingers I don't have to pay as much attention to how many bars I'm playing before I need to switch strings.
Quote by Jateca

Exactly this
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by BrickIsRed
I've been using those patterns, but can't go any faster with them than I can with two. As for 3 fingers versus 4 fingers, with 3 fingers sometimes I get confused with 4/4 timing and mess up the pattern. With 4 fingers I don't have to pay as much attention to how many bars I'm playing before I need to switch strings.

Well fair enough, they're your fingers, but I would still say that it is worth practising those patterns until you can do them fluidly. You'll just be creating more work for yourself in the long run.

Without knowing your playing experience or anything, I'd suggest that whilst those index finger-dominated patterns may seem faster to you now, its only because you may lack coordination with your other fingers. This just comes with practice.

Not wanting to be patronising there, just my opinion.
Quote by Jateca
Well fair enough, they're your fingers, but I would still say that it is worth practising those patterns until you can do them fluidly. You'll just be creating more work for yourself in the long run.

Without knowing your playing experience or anything, I'd suggest that whilst those index finger-dominated patterns may seem faster to you now, its only because you may lack coordination with your other fingers. This just comes with practice.

Not wanting to be patronising there, just my opinion.

I think should keep working on strengthening my 3rd and maybe 4th finger and decide on a pattern in future. Really, none of the patterns are working out for me so far.