This may be the wrong forum, in which case I apologise in advance. However, there isn't a clear forum for this kind of thing and although it's not technically guitar gear I suspect the wisdom of this forum is varied enough to help.

Anyway, I play bass in a 4 man band with standard guitarist, singer, bass, drums setup and our singer is usually far too low in the mix during rehearsals. The obvious response of "sing louder" isn't going to help, the problem is that our PA is too tiny to even be heard over a drumkit.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any expertise in this field and could suggest a suitable PA that can compete with the volume of a 60w tube guitar amp, 150w bass combo (which is surprisingly loud) and a drum kit. My budget is ideally under £400 ($600-700). Failing that, if you can tell me roughly how many watts I need, that'd be great.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Well, I'm certainly not a PA expert so these are just thoughts.

*Ask in the Big Rack Amp Thread which is listed in the Gear Thread Collection sticky.
*Why do you need a PA?
*What amp do you have now?
*What kind of music do you guys play?
*What kind of venues do you play in?

Watts is hard because it all converts to solid state and you've got mixers etc...

Seriously, I think you need to be in the $500 - $1000 range for a starter PA and I'm guessing 300-1,00 watts?

For clarity, you want about 1000 watts.

Edit: That's a minimum.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by BaffAttack at Mar 2, 2009,
what pa you got now?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
He's just talking about a PA speaker for band practice,
not a whole entire PA system.

Just get whatever has alot of watts for your budget =P
And make sure it's powered.

Either that, or buy a powered mixer and a passive speaker.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I stand by what I said. 1000 watts min if they want clarity, which I figure they want if the old system isn't getting it done.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^^wat?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

If that was directed at me, about 1000w minimum (either with powered speakers or power amp) to get enough headroom that vocals will have clarity in the mix with all the other instruments.

I use JBL EONS at work all the time, they're 450w a piece, and they start breaking up and losing clarity with the volume around 7 or so.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
well i put two ^^s. cause his post made no sense.

your suggestion, honestly, is probably overkill given his budget. but how would we know until we found out what inadequate pa they are using now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
well i put two ^^s. cause his post made no sense.

your suggestion, honestly, is probably overkill given his budget. but how would we know until we found out what inadequate pa they are using now.

Aw, crap, didn't see the second ^.

It might be overkill, it might not, just going by my experience both in bands and professionally.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣