so i know the usual tunings for slide guitar are open ones such as open G, but i'm wondering if it's more usual that BOTH the rhythm AND slide guitar are in the same tuning when there's lead slide playing? if possible, it'd be nice to have the rhythm guitar in an open slide tuning, and the other still in standard, but if that's not conventional then i guess i'd have to just learn to how to play rhythm in an open tuning.

thanks a lot, and i hope i made some sense in this thread.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by szekelymihai
look at "wish you were here" the rhythm guitar is in standard while the solo is in Open G.
hope it makes sense, but i could make too much of yours

the pink floyd song? its in standard, emnr pentatonic
Just do it however the heck you want, my friend. I usually play slide in standard, personally, cause I know the pentatonic in standard and don't want to bother to figure it out in any other tuning. Don't worry about being conventional, just be yourself and play to the best of your ability.
^yea that's kinda what i'm talkin' bout.

i pretty much don't want to have to change the tunings of BOTH my guitars, but i want to be able to do some lead slide playing. so i want to do lead slides over standard tuning rhythm. i was wondering if there are any shapes/boxes or whatever to go by when soloing in an open tuning over standard.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I know warren haynes usually plays in standard and derek trucks plays in open e w/ the allmans, and it's hard to argue with that sound.

Don't know of any boxes or aything, just have to learn the scales in open tuning as well
Quote by pak1351
Don't know of any boxes or aything, just have to learn the scales in open tuning as well

The basic box for open e or open d tuning is based on 2 frets on every string.

For example:

In open e, the e pentatonic scale is essentially based around the 12th and 10th frets on each string. Play any of those notes and you'll sound fine.

Also, if you so choose, you can move the box up or down to match the iv (4) or the V(5), of the progression