Poll: Which Album showcases Roger Waters' skill (bass lines, technical)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Album showcases Roger Waters' skill (bass lines, technical)
Dark Side of the Moon
14 37%
Animals
13 34%
Wish you were Here
1 3%
The Wall
3 8%
The final cut
1 3%
Meddle
0 0%
early i;e..saucerful, ummaguma , piper, obscured
6 16%
Voters: 38.
poll.... and please do tell why u think so... i say "Animals"........
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
the second verse in "pigs" speaks 4its self

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
the breakdown in pigs is one of my favorite bass lines of all time, i like the way claypools frog brigade plays it as well
Quote by Sergeant Madd
He never had skills to begin with. He's just O.K.

Opinion, ect...
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
Quote by Sergeant Madd
He never had skills to begin with. He's just O.K.

who's better.....and sings....and produces/arranges etc.......geddy lee yes...but....u tell me????

Quote by thegiaco2112
for me dark side of the moon

yea, dark side would be my 2nd, then The Wall

Quote by Pabli7o
theres something about him......idk... maybe cause im a Gilmour-Fag

wat do u mean by Gilmoure[sic] fag??? do u like david or not???

Quote by Saint Scarhand
Opinion, ect...

Yep, and anything you say to the contrary is also your opinion, etc. So no reason to mention that it's an opinion. Everything we say is an opinion unless you have academic proof stating otherwise.

Anyway, the hardest part about playing Roger Waters' bass lines is not shooting yourself. One of These Days is probably the coolest bass song from the band, but I can guarantee Roger Waters himself would flip out if you liked the bass lines above and beyond anything else in a Pink Floyd song. I bet there's moments where he's talking about his music and completely forgets he plays bass in it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by loinmute
wat do u mean by Gilmoure[sic] fag??? do u like david or not???

It means im "gay"for him, so yeah, it makes me like him... a lot!!! haha

No homo.

Note: start editing your posts. Stop double posting your you'll get a warning or something. Just trying to get you out of trouble.
Last edited by Pabli7o at Mar 2, 2009,
Guys... Gilmour played the bass in Pigs (Three Different Ones)... sorry. Waters played rhythm guitar for that track.

Dark Side of the Moon had some groovy lines though.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Last edited by bassmanjoe08 at Mar 2, 2009,
I love Animals, but some of his earlier stuff bass wise is interesting. Astronomie Domine has a great bass line and there are versions of Interstellar Overdrive from 1969 where he just goes off into psychedelic jams.
Quote by anarkee
I love Animals, but some of his earlier stuff bass wise is interesting. Astronomie Domine has a great bass line and there are versions of Interstellar Overdrive from 1969 where he just goes off into psychedelic jams.

as someone who puts pink floyd above all others id have to agree with that, some of the very early stuff (barrett) has great basslines. I have the London EP version of interstellar overdrive and love the bass in the big jams during mid song (this is the 17 minute version by the way).

I consider waters more of a grand composer than a bassist though.
Last edited by 4 strings at Mar 3, 2009,
I'm pretty sure the only reason he played bass was because SOMEONE in Pink Floyd had to play it. Water's importance was his lyrics/songwriting after syd left. He probably didn't put alot of thought into whatever he played on bass too much.
i voted The Wall
Dark Side of the Moon is a very close second, then Animals.
Waters was not a great bassist but, very effective. Gilmore could have been replaced by countless guitar players but, as a composer, there was only one Roger Waters, imo!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i voted The Wall
Dark Side of the Moon is a very close second, then Animals.
Waters was not a great bassist but, very effective. Gilmore could have been replaced by countless guitar players but, as a composer, there was only one Roger Waters, imo!

hmm dunno to be honest, gimour just has that sound?. in anycase certainly not countless players.

just my opinion though
Quote by JPScralatchtica
Animals definitely...just listen to pigs, I love that bass line!

Again, that wasn't Roger Waters.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
If I'm not mistaken he really didn't play that much on the Wall. I think Gilmour may have done "Pigs" on Animals. I know Gilmour did the fretless on "Hey You".
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
I hardly think Roger Waters skill as a bassist needs to be debated. He was an excellent songwriter but technical skill is not exactly his thing. Regardless I still love Pink Floyd.

I voted for early stuff BTW.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Early floyd had the best basslines by far. Just a few killer tracks to look at. Let There Be More Light, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, Atom Heart Mother Suite( parts- Breast Milky and Funky Dung are just killer) and Matilda Mother. All of which are very nice basslines.

And whats with all this bashing of his playing ability? Playing bass is not always about nice bass solos and some slap popping. Sometimes what makes a good bassline is what your not playing verses what you are. Basslines are there to drive and fill out the song. They don't always need to be hard to play to make it a good bassline.