If I have a chord progression with the chords Ab5, Db5, and Eb5, what keys could it be in besides Ab? Would Db work, since they're all 5th chords and so the Eb won't be minor? Could it be in any other keys?
Sorry if anything is hard to understand, I tried my best to explain it.
if your progression resolves to Ab anyways, it's gonna sound like the key of Ab. It's true that those chords could all be found in different keys, but i have a feeling you're starting on and/or ending on an Ab.
its a I IV V in Ab major

why over analyze it?
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
the generic 1-4-5 "rule" seems to apply here bro

sounds Ab to me

Please use tags for tabs....
If a solo or melody was played over those chords in Eb would that change the key?
yeah its definitely a 1-4-5 in Ab...it could also be a 1-4-5 in A, and whatever song you're learning is tuned down a half step, because thats way more common...just a guess though
Last edited by Guitar247 at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by McG5-0
If a solo or melody was played over those chords in Eb would that change the key?

depends.

you could play an Ab major scale on the scale degree of Eb and play like that. it would still be Ab major.

but if you decided to play Eb major then the song would most likely resolve into an Eb major progression and you would construct other chords based on Eb rather than Ab.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!