Forgive the terminology if I didn't use it right. I just learned about parrell scales and this brought up another question. I for some reason catagories scales in different types.

Major and Minor
Pentatonic
Modes

Are all of these types of "scales" capable of being mixed when improvising? I generally do not mix them and I feel I am limited.

Also is this typical in rock music or is it the exception?
Yes in many cases you can. There is alot for you to learn though, and to it's alot more than can be explained in a forum online, though I'm sure some will try.
shred is gaudy music
you can play any mode that contains the same notes of the scale you are in.

So the second mode in G major (A Dorian) can be played over a G major progression and it will sound fine. it will just lend a different feel to a song.
same for if you played E minor over a G major. it simply lends a different feel to the solo, even though technically it is the same notes.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Quote by atla18
you can play any mode that contains the same notes of the scale you are in.

So the second mode in G major (A Dorian) can be played over a G major progression and it will sound fine. it will just lend a different feel to a song.
same for if you played E minor over a G major. it simply lends a different feel to the solo, even though technically it is the same notes.

No, you're wrong. If it's a G major progression, you aren't playing A Dorian or E minor. You're playing G major, starting on a different scale degree.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
No, you're wrong. If it's a G major progression, you aren't playing A Dorian or E minor. You're playing G major, starting on a different scale degree.

+1

start thinking about parallel scales, not relative ones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by JakdOnCrack

correct

This is getting to be a really common thing of people coming in and saying relative scales can be switched between at will, it's not possible. As above says, if your progression is G major and you play G major (regardless of what note you start on) you are playing G major.

Ts I try not to think of major and minor as seperate from pentatonic scales, after all the pentatonic only comes about by removing two notes from major and minor. Now I would kind of agree with you about catagorizing modes seperately from the other scales, the only reason being that you can't really use them the same way. To use a mode you have to build a chord structure around the mode you want to use so a lot more thought has to go into it.