I've been playing for about 2 and a half years but I've never really took it seriously. I haven't played recently but I wanted to start getting back into playing but I don't really know where to start.

All I've been doing for 2 years is just looking up tabs and playing them along to songs and stuff, and then got to a point where I don't feel like I'm making any more progress.

I want to learn to play faster and be able to make my own songs and stuff so I can try forming a successful band for once >.< But I'm not sure how to approach it. If you could help out I will give you a cookie.

Also, I've never had anything to do with a metronome. I've heard so many times how important they are when practicing, so should I get one?

Thanks!
get a metronome, they help a lot with timing. also either get lessons, or try and teach yourself musical theory, it makes writing songs a lot easier. to get faster use the spider technique, it helps a lot.
Equiptment:

Bass: Yamaha RBX170
Amp: Fender Rumble 100
Pedal: Boss BOD-3 Bass overdrive pedal
you can even download a metronome online, if your computer happens to be close to your guitar.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Rogue Hermit
you can even download a metronome online, if your computer happens to be close to your guitar.

Laptop
Quote by Adz2706
Laptop

that's good, then just do a google search for one. they're free and work just fine.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
'took' = 'taken' tut tut.

I have been playing slightly longer than you, five years, but have the same thought about dedicating more time and also metronome practice.

When I dedicate myself more, I think my playing will improve a lot, and so will yours!
Musical theory will help a lot, trust me. It might seem discouraging at first, as it always is, but once you get used to reading notes and scales and whatnot, the knowledge will really help in the long run. =D
Quote by Adz2706
If you could help out I will give you a cookie.

When I get tired of playing, I just listen to some of my favorite songs.
That usually cheers me up and motivates me to practice harder.

I'm waiting for my cookie, by the way...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free
When I get tired of playing, I just listen to some of my favorite songs.
That usually cheers me up and motivates me to practice harder.

I'm waiting for my cookie, by the way...

I watch music DVD's.

Joe satriani
G3
Gary moore
Eric johnson
Metallica
Tom petty
Queensryche

I have all these music DVD's and more.

Just seeing them rip it up on stage makes you want to become better etc...and plus it is better than just listening, you get to see them playing it!......

I totally recommend this.
Metronome problem solved: http://www.metronomeonline.com/

As previously stated, do some work on music theory, and also be sure to practice on scales: these make solos a whole lot easier to write/play.

What I like to do is learn a new technique, get good with it, and then look up some songs that allow me to put that technique to use. You not only improve, but you have plenty of fun while doing so.

Good luck!
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King