when i play on the g string fret 1 on my bass it rattles really loudly all the time, i changed the string and read the FAQ, any other suggestions on what i can do to fix this... it is in standard tuning and it only rattles on the 1st fret.

thanks for the help
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Last edited by tbirds1013 at Mar 2, 2009,
its called fret buzz. Its exactly what it sounds like. You need to raise the action at your bridge.
If that doesn't work then you would have to use the truss rod, and i would suggest taking it to a shop then, it will cost you money, but its better than breaking your prized bass!
also look to see if the fret is worn down far more than the others. It's doubtful with what string and fret it is but check it out.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Taygunov
its called fret buzz. Its exactly what it sounds like. You need to raise the action at your bridge.
If that doesn't work then you would have to use the truss rod, and i would suggest taking it to a shop then, it will cost you money, but its better than breaking your prized bass!

i have a ibanez gsr200... do you know how i could raise the action at the bridge?

the fret is not worn down more than any other frets, so that isnt the problem
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Look at the saddle. notice the two small holes on it on either side of the string(or two screw looking things depending how it's set up) you'll notice these screw things touch the bridge below. It's what's holds the saddle up. use a small allen wrench(hex key) to adjust them. Just try different ones til it fits and will turn the screw. remember to detune the string til it's really slack otherwise the pressure from the string will hold the saddle in place and you'll end up stripping the screw head.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu