Hi Guys,

I was wondering what would be a great scale for a pop song. I was thinking about making one. I was looking at the Ionian Scale but just wanna fish see if I can see something better
For the most part, pop is just the straight up major or minor scale. Not modes, no exotic scales.

For today's pop, that is. I'm sure Prince has used plenty of exotic scales and such, and he's pop. But he's not today's pop.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
For the most part, pop is just the straight up major or minor scale. Not modes, no exotic scales.

For today's pop, that is. I'm sure Prince has used plenty of exotic scales and such, and he's pop. But he's not today's pop.

For the most part JakdOnCrack is right. You'd be hard pressed to find really popular songs that aren't basic. Some things, no matter how many times they are repeated in different ways, just sound good to our ears.

The only guy I'm getting off of the top of my head that's really pop and uses some different scales is John Mayer. Some of his newer stuff (Good Love is on the Way, etc.) is mixolydian.