basically i want to play like shawn lane, and i realize that's not a east feat but basically i wann know where to start with such a thing. i love his technique and music so much any help appreciated
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Learn the diminished scale, and the pentatonic. Play both at blazing speeds with clear, crisp accuracy.

You're set! Good luck taking 6 years of pure dedication and 6-hour practice days to perfect just those two to his level.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by lwayneio
basically i want to play like shawn lane, and i realize that's not a east feat

No.

Maybe it's west?
i really would love to, its just that i always feel annoyed at the way my hands look and the way they move in comparison to the greats is that weird? I hate the shape of my hands and the fact that my fingers always jump away from the fretboard first chance they get
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by SuperJoop
No.

Maybe it's west?

lol well done, did mention i have been drinkin writing this? i meant to say its not an easy feat
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I dont think you should aspire to play exactly like someone else BUT everyone has influences and they do show in your playing but you should go for a sound and style unique to you thats how all the greats did it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by lwayneio
lol well done, did mention i have been drinkin writing this? i meant to say its not an easy feat

hehe

as you go to say 'easy feast' in a drunken rage at me lol!!!!!!
thanks for all the replies so far guys i appreciate it. i have just bought a midi keyboard as well in the hope it will improve my theory and my technique as shawn says its one of the ways he improved. and i dont want to be a shawn lane clone i just want to aspire to his talent, he could literally play anything and i want to get to that same level of technique
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by SuperJoop
hehe

as you go to say 'easy feast' in a drunken rage at me lol!!!!!!

huh? sorry did i come across as am angry drunk across the internet? lol, not sure how i managed that cos im not im quite happy atm, im just listening to guthrie govan and frank gambale
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
huh? sorry did i come across as am angry drunk across the internet? lol, not sure how i managed that cos im not im quite happy atm, im just listening to guthrie govan and frank gambale

No way!

You're awesome.
Quote by lwayneio

Says you've been a member for almost a year. When did you start playing man?
well i was a member for a few months b4 i bought anything so that i knew a bit about stuff. I also had my guitar taken away from me for a month so i would say i have had the guitar in my possession for about 7 months now. I haven't practiced anywhere near as much as i would like tho due to frustration. I just feel lost most of the time and hate the way my fingers move, i really hope that makes sense. i might try and make a vid
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by SuperJoop
No way!

You're awesome.

lol thanks
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
irrelevant post: he double posted 3 times in this thread

anyways just stick with it, persevere!
Guitars
BC Rich Deluxe Series Warlock
Schecter Devil Custom

Amps
Crate GX900-h w/ GX412S cab

Effects
Boss NS-2
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Korg Pitchblak
Quote by shredfest116
irrelevant post: he double posted 3 times in this thread

anyways just stick with it, persevere!

sorry i didnt realise that i double posted, i was watching a film and answering and them when i answered realized there was more to respond to, but thanks i will keep on trying I am hoping that the keyboard will help a bit
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
can i just say as well, I have a lot of problems using my 1,3 and4 fingers and picking thicker strings im not sure what to do, thanks (like ascending the minor scale is hard)
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
get a metronome, pick a symmetric scale, play it fast and then there you go. you have created a song that sounds exactly like one Shawn Lane would play