I have been having many problems with my Epiphone G-400.

Let me make a list.

1. My guitar teacher told me that my strings were too high up from the pickups. I can fix that by lowering the action, so consider this problem solved.

2. My neck pickup is sinking into the pot. That sounds weird, but it is tilted on an angle, with one side sticking downward. It is falling inward. This might be able to be fixed, but I don't know much about electronics and don't want to mess around.

3. It goes out of tune A LOT. Putting 11's on helped, but it still doesn't stay in tune. On my tuner, the thing on the meter keeps on moving around and doesn't stay in one spot. Locking tuners can fix that, but it still is a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

4. When I got it, the tone knob for the neck pickup said "volume" on it. It still controls the tone, but that was a weird error that shouldn't have been there.

Did I get my guitar from the bad batch or something? Epiphone G-400's aren't necessarily bad guitars, but for some reason, mine just isn't that good.

I might have to end up saving money for an Epiphone Les Paul Custom or something that is a little better until I would be able to get an SG Standard, I don't really like this G-400.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
hmm....

sounds like you did get a bad one. i have one, and everything on it is excellent. depending on the age, you could try to return it
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
i think i can help with the sunk pickup. it happened to me when my idiot friend was pusing my humbucker back and forth. unscrew the ring, and then lift the ring. the pickup should rise with it, then hold the pickup up and then line it up with the screw that rises or lower the pickup. try to screw the screw into the place and then put the ring back on.

sorry for being a little vague, but it's kinda hard to explain
These were the exact problems with my Epiphone Les Paul Special II.

I though it was only me but apparently Epiphone has gone down the drain.
Quote by abe123
thats one of the funniest posts ive seen in a while... to sig or not to sig

Quote by Kenny77
Awesome.

Quote by Kensai
Probably from india. Most bad things come from there.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
hmm....

sounds like you did get a bad one. i have one, and everything on it is excellent. depending on the age, you could try to return it

I've had it since august. This was my second guitar I have ever bought, adn I don't think it is returnable.

I will also ask my guitar teacher about raising the neck pickup, and see what he says.

I am thinking of just buying a new and better guitar, but I need a new amp first. I can't make it anywhere with just a Peavey Vypyr 15.

I might get the 1966 Epiphone G-400. I just wish they had it in ebony.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Last edited by tmfiore at Mar 2, 2009,
mine has problems 2 and 3, no matter how hard i try its next to impossible to get the g string properly intonated
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by tmfiore

1. My guitar teacher told me that my strings were too high up from the pickups. I can fix that by lowering the action, so consider this problem solved.
There's no such thing as strings being too high from pickups. There is such a thing as strings being too low to the pickups.
If strings are further from pickups, your overall output is lowered, and your clarity, sustain, and dynamic reaction is improved. You get an overall cleaner, clearer tone that reacts to your playing much better.
If strings are closer to the pickups then your output is increased, especially the low-end response. You lose sustain, clarity and dynamic reaction. You get an overall darker, which naturally distorts more and is muddier. And do not mistake 'distorts more' for 'awesome brutal distortion'; it simply means you're going to struggle to ever get a good clean tone and your full distorted tone is going to have more background noise and be less defined.

2. My neck pickup is sinking into the pot. That sounds weird, but it is tilted on an angle, with one side sticking downward. It is falling inward. This might be able to be fixed, but I don't know much about electronics and don't want to mess around.
Sounds like it's been lowered so much the spring holding it in place has lost all tension and the screw itself has come out the pickup base. You need to take off the pickup's mounting ring so you can get a better look at it, and screw the pickup back in. Once it's in properly (or if it already is in), raise the pickup by a couple of millimetres.

3. It goes out of tune A LOT. Putting 11's on helped, but it still doesn't stay in tune. On my tuner, the thing on the meter keeps on moving around and doesn't stay in one spot. Locking tuners can fix that, but it still is a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.
That will be because one or more of three things:
1) You're not restringing the guitar properly. 90% of the time a guitar has tuning problems, this is why.
2) The strings are binding in the nut. Check the nut slots are clear without bits of leftover plastic or fluff in them, and try rubbing some graphite in each slot to help lubricate them. Consider getting a new nut such as a graphite nut, it will be much cheaper than new tuners.
3) The guitar isn't intonated correctly, which is why it's always seemingly out of tune. Intonating the guitar is very easy, and there are many guides on how to do it, all you need is a tuner and a screwdriver.

I can tell you right now, the problem is definitely not the tuners. The tuners G-400s are equipped with are Grover 18:1 tuners. You can not get more accurate, sturdier tuners than that.

4. When I got it, the tone knob for the neck pickup said "volume" on it. It still controls the tone, but that was a weird error that shouldn't have been there.
Knobs cost about £3/$5 each, they pull off and you push the new one on. If it bothers you that much, it's an easy fix.

I might have to end up saving money for an Epiphone Les Paul Custom or something that is a little better until I would be able to get an SG Standard, I don't really like this G-400.
An Epi LP Custom is no better than an G-400, it just costs more because more wood is needed to make it and because of the pretty gold plated hardware (which turns silver very quickly anyway).

Also, from the sound of it you don't know much about guitar maintenance and set-up. Don't think about getting a new guitar until you learn how to keep a guitar in good working condition yourself. Otherwise you're probably not going to be able to properly tell a bad SG from a good one, and yes, there are lots of bad SG Standards out there.

When any guitar has a problem, don't be in such a rush to blame the guitar. Nine times out of ten, when there's a problem, it's because of something the owner has done (or failed to do), not something that is wrong with the guitar itself. This goes for all brands and all styles.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 2, 2009,
Mr flibble is correct.
I have the same tuners and my guitar stays in tune VERY well.
If the pickup is dipping take it apart and have a look.
The mounting system for the pick-up is easy to take apart/put back together again and is well worth a look.Don't be afraid to take it apart your not going to break anything,and you will see the screws that adjust the height of the pick-up.
When I got my G-400 I got it setup by a pro about a week after I got it,as I had heard that epi's came out of the factory poorly set-up and indeed it was badly set up.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
To be honest, I am very dissappointed with Epiphone since they moved all production into China.

Some time ago I had an Epi SG, the Vintage G400 model (which is now called "faded") and it was a well made, flawless and beatiful guitar. It was made in Korea, 2004 and now I regret I sold it when I got my Gibson SG.

My SG had aged plastic parts, headstock logo and inlays. Pickups were "vintage", called 57 Humbucker & Hot-B Humbucker and indeed delivered a traditional tone. And it also had a nice creamy binding along the neck. And it was only 380€ then.

But new faded, chinese SGs are like stripped down versions. And those guys have even raised the prices!!

I've seen many of the new Epis and they look like toys as I said. And finishes are not that good, so I can imagine about electronics and pots.

What you mention about the volume/tone knob is ridicoulous for a Gibson-owned brand. And even more now that Gibson has redesigned its website putting both Gibson and Epiphone in the same list of products.

So I would not recommend you to purchase Epiphone. If you want a decent SG for a good price, you should check Tokai or Vintage.
Quote by MrFlibble
There's no such thing as strings being too high from pickups. There is such a thing as strings being too low to the pickups.
If strings are further from pickups, your overall output is lowered, and your clarity, sustain, and dynamic reaction is improved. You get an overall cleaner, clearer tone that reacts to your playing much better.
If strings are closer to the pickups then your output is increased, especially the low-end response. You lose sustain, clarity and dynamic reaction. You get an overall darker, which naturally distorts more and is muddier. And do not mistake 'distorts more' for 'awesome brutal distortion'; it simply means you're going to struggle to ever get a good clean tone and your full distorted tone is going to have more background noise and be less defined.

Sounds like it's been lowered so much the spring holding it in place has lost all tension and the screw itself has come out the pickup base. You need to take off the pickup's mounting ring so you can get a better look at it, and screw the pickup back in. Once it's in properly (or if it already is in), raise the pickup by a couple of millimetres.

That will be because one or more of three things:
1) You're not restringing the guitar properly. 90% of the time a guitar has tuning problems, this is why.
2) The strings are binding in the nut. Check the nut slots are clear without bits of leftover plastic or fluff in them, and try rubbing some graphite in each slot to help lubricate them. Consider getting a new nut such as a graphite nut, it will be much cheaper than new tuners.
3) The guitar isn't intonated correctly, which is why it's always seemingly out of tune. Intonating the guitar is very easy, and there are many guides on how to do it, all you need is a tuner and a screwdriver.

I can tell you right now, the problem is definitely not the tuners. The tuners G-400s are equipped with are Grover 18:1 tuners. You can not get more accurate, sturdier tuners than that.

Knobs cost about £3/$5 each, they pull off and you push the new one on. If it bothers you that much, it's an easy fix.

An Epi LP Custom is no better than an G-400, it just costs more because more wood is needed to make it and because of the pretty gold plated hardware (which turns silver very quickly anyway).

Also, from the sound of it you don't know much about guitar maintenance and set-up. Don't think about getting a new guitar until you learn how to keep a guitar in good working condition yourself. Otherwise you're probably not going to be able to properly tell a bad SG from a good one, and yes, there are lots of bad SG Standards out there.

When any guitar has a problem, don't be in such a rush to blame the guitar. Nine times out of ten, when there's a problem, it's because of something the owner has done (or failed to do), not something that is wrong with the guitar itself. This goes for all brands and all styles.

Thank you for your help. I think I want to get a heritage cherry 1966 G-400 anyway. It is just as good as a G-400 and is the same price, but I like it better. It isn't that much money, and the current G-400 is my only guitar that I have had for quite awhile now. I don't need a new guitar, but it would be nice to have a new one.

Once again, thanks for your help. I will try to find a better nut in the meantime. I need a new amp and pedals before a new guitar anyway.

*And to the other guy, there are no places near me that sell Tokai, and I won't buy one without trying it out. I don't really like knock-offs anyway.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Last edited by tmfiore at Mar 3, 2009,
My friend wants an epi SG we went to the store to find him a good one. Sam ash had I think 10 of em only 3 were worth buying. If like my friend you dont know what to look for its easy to get a bad one. I dont think epi does any sort of QC anymore or they have blind people doing it or they just dont want to know how many subpar guitars they ship out. With epis its usually the cheap plastic nut on em that gives tuning problems. The grovers as stated are very good ones. But you never know anymore maybe grover has done like celestion and opened a factory in china, and the gibsons get the quality US grovers and epis get knock offs that say grover.
Quote by rhcpfan93
Dude... it's time to get a new guitar.

I think so as well, but I need a new amp more than a guitar.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
doesn't sound like anything's wrong with it. I think that you should just fix the problems that you're having, they're common on almost all guitars if you don't take care of them, except the volume knob being on the wrong pot, that's just quarky.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Ya idk whats going on with epiphone these days. I have a bit of a higher end G-400 if that makes sense (its 'vintage' as they call it) and nothing seems to have been wrong with it other than the retailer didnt set it up when i purchased the guitar. Overall for me it was good. Mustve had a stroke of bad luck maybe
Quote by Tojo62
Ya idk whats going on with epiphone these days. I have a bit of a higher end G-400 if that makes sense (its 'vintage' as they call it) and nothing seems to have been wrong with it other than the retailer didnt set it up when i purchased the guitar. Overall for me it was good. Mustve had a stroke of bad luck maybe

but, there isn't a single actual problem with his G-400. Just a quarky mislabeled knob and then the normal issues that come from not taking care of a guitar or ever setting it up
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 3, 2009,