So I recently joined a band, and even though I'm the "new guy" I've already become the main songwriter. The drummer and I were writing **** and he was constantly asking me how I wanted the drums, so any suggestions how I can convince him to do what he deels is right and not just rely on me?
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Just straight up tell him that the easiest way would be for him to think of the drum part that would match and then when he lays out a foundation the rest of the band can input on what would polish the part.
you: "fill in with what you think would sound right"
drummer: "ok, i'll try"
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
to tell you the truth, whenever i have written a song on my guitar, ive also been the one to write drums with it, i think it might just happen that way, try asking him to do something on the drums he hasnt done before, and then you work your guitar to that
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
Be like...
"Hey, gimme a beat" and he'll think of something, then you play over it. Then be like "NEEDZ More Cowbell!" then be like "MOAR DOUBLE BASS!!!!!!!!!" And just keep adding what you both think sounds good.
IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZERS! Sorry, I just spent an hour looking up some memes.
Tell him "Idk just try your best to do something that fits in"

your drummer sucks if he cant even come up with a beat
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Be like...
"Hey, gimme a beat" and he'll think of something, then you play over it. Then be like "NEEDZ More Cowbell!" then be like "MOAR DOUBLE BASS!!!!!!!!!" And just keep adding what you both think sounds good.
IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZERS! Sorry, I just spent an hour looking up some memes.

everything needs MORE COWBELL!!!!!
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
I had the same issue in the last band I was in. Here was my response.

"I'm not the drummer, and I don't want to tell you what to do anymore than I want you to tell me what to do. Play what you feel is best there."
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
My drummer is fantastic, but he still asks me for a general idea of what i had envisioned. Just tell him a genre. Like "Put more of a disco feel on the hi-hats" or "Less time keeping, more 'The Fall Of Troy' constant drum fills"

Just basic ideas like that
tell him that he should play what feels right and you'll let him know if its not working but that he should trust his instincts
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
just tell him what kind of feel you want on the groove, and let him come up with the beat himself.

Both parts happy if it works with him :sheers:
You like it