Please excuse the question of a guitar noob:

Just wondering, what do you do about the truss rod when you're building your own neck?

Also, do you build your own fretboard too? (just wondering because some of the pics of them here look professional)

Thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Mar 2, 2009,
Well for double action truss rods, you route a slot, put the rod in and glue the fretboard over it.

Some people slot their own fretboards, some buy them pre slotted.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks for the info.

And since this is my own thread, I guess I might add a question: is building a guitar/amp/gear cheaper than buying a similar/the same item?

My guess would be "no", but I'm curious too see if I'm wrong
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
No not really

Decent tools for building guitars are expensive

and for me in the UK I dont have a lumber yard, so I have to buy wood online which is very expensive.

Its also very time consuming, so even if you payed yourself minimum wage, chances are it would end up being more expensive than most guitars.

That said once you get set up, you can break even in the long run.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Mar 2, 2009,
If you have the tools and the supplies then yes, but only for an expensive guitar.

For example, in the right situations, you could probably build a Gibson Les Paul for about $800.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Thanks for the info.

And since this is my own thread, I guess I might add a question: is building a guitar/amp/gear cheaper than buying a similar/the same item?

I'm going to diverge from the popular opinions here, and say that if you have access to at least the basic tools needed ( band saw/jigsaw, router, power/belt sander, etc. ), then you can DEFINITELY tip the scales as far as money invested, but you will almost never tip the scale in regards to time, that is if you want quality.

Here is my thinking: if you are relatively skilled, patient, and willing to persevere and learn from your mistakes, you will easily be able to make a guitar that surpasses at least 90% of what you can find in most music stores, and you might be able to match the last 10% in quality. Reason being, the amount of dedication, time, and effort you can put into your hand made guitar probably exceeds every other manufactured guitar in the shop by about 7 times or something crazy like that.

In time ( like 4-5 "from scratch" builds from now ) you will be able to build guitars that match or exceed high end production-series guitars from companies like Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc., and you will be able to do it for about $400-$500 dollars in materials or cheaper. Granted, you will be putting in TONS of hours per build, but at the end of the day you'll have a guitar built to your specs that totally scorches, and you'll have done it for $400-$500.

Besides those basic tools, you will need a couple hundred dollars worth in guitar specific tools, but the trade off is worth it after a couple years.
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Thanks for the info.

I would say no too. I was going to make my own, but they do get expensive if you put quality parts into it. The money I was going to invest into making it look authentic wasnt far from what it would cost to buy the real thing used. Plus, I would hate to have invested all that time and money, and possibly screw something up and ruin the guitar/waste time.