I just recently purchased a Peavey Valvelking 212. I have only had it about a week, and the first time I played it I was pleased with the sound. I only played on the clean channel then. Upon swtiching to the lead channel I noticed that the sound was considerably softer, mabye comparable to having the volume on 3 when the gain and volume were all the way up. Even worse, I turn it on today and I get no sound what so ever from either channel, even with it sitting on stanby I am not getting any heat from the tubes at all. Suggestions on fixing this?
Tubes are tight, also, the main fuse is fine. The only thing that is noticable is that the power tubes are discolored at the tips. Two are black, the other two are purple. Is it also a problem that the power tubes are two different brands?
Quote by lrhansen
Two are black, the other two are purple. Is it also a problem that the power tubes are two different brands?

Perhaps. Power tubes should be matched in brand.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by lrhansen
So would replacing the tubes be a smart or reasonable thing to do?

yeah sounds like your tubes might be bad. and the fact that 2 of the tubes are a different brand seems odd. they are prob not matched with the others and caused a problem im guessing.

you can get a full retube kit from eurotubes for cheap. comes with 4 JJ 6L6s and 3 JJ ECC83Ss for your preamp and you could go with the highgain option which comes with 3 ECC83S high gain preamp tubes. heres some links

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=158

or if you just wanna go with getting a quad of the jj 6L6s:

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=22
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Alright, well thanks for the advice! Is it also possible that the high tension fuse is blown, or is it more likely that the tubes are just messed up since they aren't matched. If the tubes are the for sure case, then I will probably just order a new matched set. Thanks again.
Id you bought it recently, it has a gurantee with the manufactor, i suggest sending it back to Peavey/ the shop you bought it from to be checked out.

If you bought second hand then, you can still send it to peavey to be checked out, just might cost ya.
Quote by lrhansen
Alright, well thanks for the advice! Is it also possible that the high tension fuse is blown, or is it more likely that the tubes are just messed up since they aren't matched. If the tubes are the for sure case, then I will probably just order a new matched set. Thanks again.

its prob just a tube failure..but like someone said if its under warranty send it back to the place you bought it or to Peavey and they fix all that for free
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I had a previous problem with my old VK 212 combo, and took it to an amp tech who ****ed with it and voided the warranty, so i had to send it back to peavey to be replaced. Luckily they managed to fix it for me on the cheap after i told them my sob story.

They even replaced the power valves after they blew, when i sent it back again thinking something else was wrong.

Solution : send back to peavey first
I don't think he got it new or the power tubes wouldn't mis-matched like that. Sending it to Peavey isn't going to do any good imo. If you want more help TS we need to know if you bought this new at a store or used. Technically replacing tubes will negate the warranty.

Just buy a matched quad set of JJ's and hope that is the only problem. I believe the VK has self draining capacitors but you may want to find someone experienced to replace the HT fuse.

Good Luck.
Yeah, you were correct, I did buy it secondhand. Btw, two of the tubes were Fender, and two were Sovtek. So I don't think the warranty will be valid anymore. Thanks for your help again!
are none of the tubes producing heat or glowing? that would indicate a problem with heaters...maybe a dying tube took out the heater fuse or something.

#1 - retube

#2 - if that doesn't work, take it to a tech, probably a blown heater fuse.

EDIT: assuming it has a heater fuse. if not, you're looking at PT problems. that = $
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial