Page 1 of 7
Here in Germany, there is so little patriotism that it is actually the opposite, shame of our country, instead of pride. Obviously it has to do with the two World Wars and the Holocaust.
On top of that, most of the times when people say they are patriots who love their country, they are immediately labeled as Nazis.
I was wondering, what is patriotism like in other countries? Is it common? How are patriotic/non-patriotic people seen?
I like turtles.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by RU Experienced?
Me too, they're like natures frisbees.

On that note, who the hell calls them novelty flying discs?

The French.
Yeah it's a good thing in USA. I guess that's how it is when your side wins the war.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
There is tons of patriots in America and most of them are blind and dumb following the crap our government spews out as the truth, its sad.

Well there is not a lot to be proud of killing millions of people, too bad all countries do it.
Only your got caught, which sucks like when all your friends where stealing stuff but you where the only one the cop could find and everyone blames you.
Last edited by Darkice at Mar 2, 2009,
Patriotism tempered with humility is a good thing. Otherwise ya you're a Nazi in waiting.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Canadians are proud to be Canadian, but we're pretty passive about it. We're like:
"hey are you proud to be Canadian?"
"yeah, sure."

we're not like:
"YEAH!!!! I AM CANADIAN!!!! I MUST ENFORCE MY CULTURE IN EVERY COUNTRY I VISIT!!!!!"
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Here in America there lot of pride but also they some people who dont give a damn or hate the govt. Then are southern country men like me who have pride from being from the south.Its great thing to have.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
A good number of Americans who would label themselves as Patriots are just conservative FOX News viewers who often confuse their religion with their politics.
They like war, guns, and torture.
They dislike gays, taxes, and political correctness.

that being said not all of them are like this
I consider myself a patriot and I have some radically left views as well as some right in the middle.
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Being a patriot has nothing to do with believing in everything your government tells you. It's believing in what your country stands for, not what the current men in power are trying to shove down your throat. Most modern democracies stand for the rights of the people... and that's why I love my country - not because we kick ass, but because the Constitution of the United States is the greatest piece of written work, ever. Unfortunately, people have forgotten it... and that's what has gotten us into every mess since World War I.
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
I see being a patriot as loving and taking care of the land you live in not being ashamed of it...

but In America that isn't how most people see it they see it as agreeing with everything your government says and being good christians and join the Military, bashing queers ect...

where I live, anyway...
In Britain, it is considered racist to be proud of being a true Brit, and by that i mean having British heritage for at least a couple of generations, i am proud of my country, i like it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by rebelmidget
A good number of Americans who would label themselves as Patriots are just conservative FOX News viewers who often confuse their religion with their politics.
They like war, guns, and torture.
They dislike gays, taxes, and political correctness.

that being said not all of them are like this
I consider myself a patriot and I have some radically left views as well as some right in the middle.

Sir Im a patriot but Im democrat. Not all patriots are like Uncle Ted
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
I am proud to live in a country that gives me so many freedoms. I am not so proud of the way some people take them for granted.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by RU Experienced?
Me too, they're like natures frisbees.

I was about to get quite angry at this because I thought of you using my turtle as a Frisbee and killing him. But then I remembered when I put my turtle on a Frisbee and spun the Frisbee around on the floor, and that made me laugh. You are safe for now…
At the Justice Tour:
Guy in audience: Libertyville represent!
Tom Morello: Yes. Libertyville…represent.

Quote by IDread
Damn. You got insanely lucky when it comes to manly surnames.

Ai æm eɪ prəpoʊnənt ʌv eɪ kəmplitli fənɛtɪk ælfəbɛt. Spɛl ɛvriθɪŋ wɪθ ðə AɪPiEɪ.
Quote by Blackwaterson89
Sir Im a patriot but Im democrat. Not all patriots are like Uncle Ted

if you had read everything i wrote you wouldn't have said that
I want Super Saiyan abilities
I'd say I'm a bit patriotic, but not Jingoistic. I don't think America is in any way entitled to more than any other country or has some sort of divine right above everyone else, but it's home and I love it.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Patriotism means standing up for your country, and you shouldn't be ashamed. You are not your grandparents, and should feel no shame in being German. Coming from a Jew.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by ZAxel
I was about to get quite angry at this because I thought of you using my turtle as a Frisbee and killing him. But then I remembered when I put my turtle on a Frisbee and spun the Frisbee around on the floor, and that made me laugh. You are safe for now…

Sir, rest assured that I do not condone any harm that results from turtle frisbeeing related activities.
Unfortunately, I am a bit of a misanthropist, so I'm sure it would be hard for me to find a place that I truly could trust enough to be patriotic to.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
In America, many "patriots" seemingly accept the government and not question it. They seem to be pro-war and fairly conservative.

They often see questioning the government as unpatriotic.

I feel that that is the wrong idea. When you question the government you are doing so because you feel the government is going the wrong direction and you want to right it.

I feel that I am a patriot. I don't need to display my patriotism in a superficial way by saluting the flag or reciting the pledge of allegiance.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
But corey, I thought that that if things came from Germany, they were good.

The germans always make good stuff you know.

shamwow reference\

Contrary to stereotype, American Democrats like myself can be patrioic too.
Last edited by bendystraw at Mar 2, 2009,
America has a lot of blind patriots. To me, real patriots are the ones who question what's going on, typically not liking what is going on. Those who want change are a lot better than those who sit on the crap that has been going on for years.

Woody Guthrie is a patriot.

Tom Brady plays for the Patriots.
Whatever happened to sweet Jane?
Quote by Yeti60
In America, many "patriots" seemingly accept the government and not question it. They seem to be pro-war and fairly conservative.

They often see questioning the government as unpatriotic.

I feel that that is the wrong idea. When you question the government you are doing so because you feel the government is going the wrong direction and you want to right it.

I feel that I am a patriot. I don't need to display my patriotism in a superficial way by saluting the flag or reciting the pledge of allegiance.

+1
'Specially the last part about saluting the flag/pledge.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
"Patriots" in Australia are usually racist nationalists that think we should kick out everyone that's isn't white and doesn't talk like a bogan.

And I like living in Australia, but I hate how so many Australians never shut up about how great Australia is, especially on international message boards like UG.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 2, 2009,
Patriots should do what is best for their country, not what is best for them.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Dude, I honestly think Germany kicks ass. I've watched so much stuff on TV about germany and its culture.. and inspite of all the nazi stuff that's gone on, I think Germany is the ONE place in Europe I REALLY REALLY REALLY look forward to going to.
It kind of sucks here. I wish the US was more how it used to be, when your state came before your country. I don't think there should be a United States anymore.
Quote by Taniel_24
Being a patriot has nothing to do with believing in everything your government tells you. It's believing in what your country stands for, not what the current men in power are trying to shove down your throat. Most modern democracies stand for the rights of the people... and that's why I love my country - not because we kick ass, but because the Constitution of the United States is the greatest piece of written work, ever. Unfortunately, people have forgotten it... and that's what has gotten us into every mess since World War I.

Wow.

You seriously think that?
Quote by Kiwi Ace
Wow.

You seriously think that?

What is wrong with it?
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break