Hey guys,

So Im in a band.... big surpised, huh? Well, anyways, I want to know a good cover song to do.... not just any song though, I want one with very powerful lyrics but not much in the way of instrumentals so I can add the instruments in.... like Jimi did to Dylans All Along the Watchtower and like GNR did to Knockin on Heavens Door or like GNR did to Live and Let Die or like STP did to Break On Through.... etc.

I was making some instrumentals for All Along the Watchtower and made this cool riff but now Im thinking.... hey.... everyone covers that song... I want a unique song.

TL;DR: Whats a very simple song (instrumentally) with very powerful lyrics that is good to add stuff to for a cover song?

EDIT: I was looking through my music list and came across Mellow Yellow by Donovan.... not exactly what Id call powerful lyrics, but the lyrics are cool and the song is so simple pretty much anything is game...
Last edited by aaronob at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by nickolsson
black label society covered that song

THey did an awsome job too!

On topic: Anything that Dylan wrote!!
Or what about Wild Thing-The Troggs or Breakfast @ Tiffanys-Deep Blue Somethin?
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
sorry you came to the wrong place, no one here really plays guitar or is in a band, we spend to much time on the internet, if i had to pick a song though if i were in a band..... i would say hurt nine inch nails is easy, cool lyrics, most tool songs are pretty simple with cool lyrics, uhhhhh what exactly genre do you play?
Man, everyone needs songs to play.

Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Quote by fender3708
sorry you came to the wrong place, no one here really plays guitar or is in a band, we spend to much time on the internet, if i had to pick a song though if i were in a band..... i would say hurt nine inch nails is easy, cool lyrics, most tool songs are pretty simple with cool lyrics, uhhhhh what exactly genre do you play?

Well, Im really open to pretty much any genre as Im going to make it my own.... like if its screamo or something I can just make it not screamo. Just nothing with lyrics advocating violence or death or anything bad like that.....
I always thought a heavier version of "The Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel would sound pretty epic.
I suggest Dear Mr. Fantasy by Traffic. There are already solos and other flourishes on the original (and it has been covered a few times), but you could do something different with it. I only suggest this because I would do it myself if I weren't so lazy.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by frottage
I always thought a heavier version of "The Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel would sound pretty epic.

Good idea. I have two singers in the band so we could get the nice harmonies on that one. And I like the song too.